Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was very fond of Beregond since I first saw the (French) card but have yet to settle on my favourite combination of Weapon/ Armor attachments.

There are currently two Armor and four Weapon attachments available to put on Beregond. Both Armor pieces are excellent choices and thematically fitting:

The Citadel Plate (Core Set) can be attached for a cost of 2 Tactics resources and give Beregond 4 additional Hit Points. This option seems best in scenarios with direct damage output, such as those with Archery or even Hummerhorns.

The Gondorian Shield (The Steward's Fear) can be attached for free and increases Beregond's defense to a formidable 6. I sometimes feel that I don't require the additional protection. Not many foes hit hard enough to penetrate Beregond's regular defenses, but it is still a fantastic bonus. The Shield is essential to include when faced with some foes in Heirs of Numenor that have attack values aimed at buildings rather than people.

Regarding Weapon attachments, Beregond has the choice of three attachments. Any of them may be attached at no cost:

The Spear of the Citadel is the most obvious choice. Attached for free, it enhances Beregond's defensive value by turning him into a heroic version of the Gondorian Spearman. You never have to worry about 1 HP enemies, and if you possess sufficient options to ready Beregond (Cram, Unexpected Courage, Behind Strong Walls), you can slowly take out enemies as the run into your defender's spear time after time. Note that you cannot attach two Spears at the same time.

Two Weapons that could be attached for free, and which I have never seriously considered to play on Beregond are:

The Dwarven Axe, which increases his attack value to 2. Prior to Beregond, the notion of playing a Dwarven Axe on a non- dwarf seemed ridiculous. Twice as expensive as a Dunedain Mark and half as effective. Here, however, you can double Beregond's attack strength without exhausting any resources. This turns the future Captain of the White Company into a more balanced fighter.

[-]The Great Yew Bow would allow attacks against enemies in the staging area. You could combine it with the Dwarven Axe for the most unorthodox benefit of Beregond's ability and attack for 2.

The dilemma: Each attachment is restricted, thus making it impossible for Beregond to spear enemies with one arm while defending attacks with his other - all the while clad in impenetrable plate mail. Interestingly enough, Beregond is fully capable of equipping two Citadel Plates, which grant him a total of 12 Hit Points.

I commonly include three Spears, three Shields and one Citadel Plate in my decks and play the cheaper attachments immediately. Note that the rules allow to attach a third restricted attachments so long as you discard one right away. In doing so, you could attach Shield and Spear straight away, concentrate Beregond's resources to play allies and finally drop either attachment to increase his hit points with the Citadel Plate.

My questions for you are whether you have settled on your favourite attachment combination for Beregond and what cards you include in your deck. Or do you never play Beregond in the first place? I'd appreciate your vote, and even more so if you could elaborate on your reason(s) behind it.

Edit: Ignore the Great Yew Bow, please. Beregond cannot attach it since he does not have the printed ranged keyword. An oversight on my part while I was sorting through weapon and armour attachments.

Poll
What is your general opinion of Beregond?
I love him and include him in my decks very often.
He's interesting, but the defender/ Tactics spot is taken by another hero.
He's ok. I play him once in a blue moon.
I had completely forgotten about that dust- collecting waste of a card!
      57 answers
Poll created by Zwerg

Poll
Which Armor/ Weapon attachments do you include in your deck when Beregond is one of your heroes (assume that Beregond is the primary recipient of those attachments; multiple answers possible)?
1x Citadel Plate
2x Citadel Plate
3x Citadel Plate
1x Gondorian Shield
2x Gondorian Shield
3x Gondorian Shield
1x Spear of the Citadel
2x Spear of the Citadel
3x Spear of the Citadel
1x Dwarven Axe
2x Dwarven Axe
3x Dwarven Axe
1x Great Yew Bow
2x Great Yew Bow
3x Great Yew Bow
      52 answers
Poll created by Zwerg

Poll
What is your preferred Weapon/ Armor attachment combination for Beregond?
Citadel Plate and Citadel Plate
Citadel Plate and Spear of the Citadel
Citadel Plate and Gondorian Shield
Citadel Plate and Dwarven Axe
Citadel Plate and Great Yew Bow
Spear of the Citadel and Gondorian Shield
Spear of the Citadel and Dwarven Axe
Spear of the Citadel and Great Yew Bow
Gondorian Shield and Dwarven Axe
Gondorian Shield and Great Yew Bow
Dwarven Axe and Great Yew Bow
      53 answers
Poll created by Zwerg

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cordeiro Cordeirooo
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
He can't use the bow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michail Giannis
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The bow needs the Hero to be Ranged.....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, you two are right, of course. I doubt that anybody would want to give him the bow in the first place, but I thought I'd list it for completion's sake. Guess I should have read the text more closely. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cordeiro Cordeirooo
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zwerg wrote:
Ah, you two are right, of course. I doubt that anybody would want to give him the bow in the first place, but I thought I'd list it for completion's sake. Guess I should have read the text more closely. whistle

In this case, why not the Blade of Gondolin? :\
It is nice, but I doubt I would use it with him anyway (although, it's the same for the Dwarven Axe).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cordeirooo wrote:
Zwerg wrote:

It is nice, but I doubt I would use it with him anyway (although, it's the same for the Dwarven Axe).

Absolutely right. Maybe I mixed those two up when I sorted the cards into piles. No idea how this happened. I am not happy with my quality control and proof- reading department (of one).

Thanks again for pointing out the mistakes. I initially wanted only to include the three Gondor attachments, and I'm glad players are still voting on this despite my blunders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vladimir Lehotai
Slovakia
Piešťany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cordeirooo wrote:
Zwerg wrote:

Playing Blade of Gondolin on Beregond is IMO a waste of a restricted slot.

And re: the poll about what attachments I give to him - it depends on the situation, but usually the spear is used every time. Shield of Gondor is useful when there is one or more hard hitting enemies and if there is none, then he may help in siege quests. Citadel plate, while costing 2 resources to put on him, makes him the candidate for taking undefended attack damage (that was before the White Tower Watchman ally came) and serves as extra insurance when there are shadow effects that ignore the defender's defense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michail Giannis
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You are forgetting that Beregond's main use is that of a quest character where there is a siege....that's why there was in HoN.

There will be future siege quests and he is a 4 armor quester....if you put him 2 1 shields on him...he can quest for 6.

It's not that he is not a superb defender....there are also many characters out there that can defend as well

It's his ability to help me with siege that i like so much and that i need.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cordeiro Cordeirooo
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems we all think alike! Look at those votes! laugh

Vladimir17 wrote:
cordeirooo wrote:
Zwerg wrote:

Playing Blade of Gondolin on Beregond is IMO a waste of a restricted slot.

Yes, yes it is a waste - I even pointed that out -, just as much as the Dwarven Axe is, but that wasn't the criteria to include them in the original post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MountainRoot wrote:

There will be future siege quests and he is a 4 armor quester....if you put him 2 shields on him...he can quest for 8.

The shield has a limit of 1 per hero.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.