12 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Sleeves Question -- KMC v. Fantasy Flight Sleeves rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ranicus
United States
flag msg tools
I have been searching the internet and forums for comparisons of fantasy flight sleeves and KMC sleeves, but my search has turned up little information. So, I thought I would ask those at BGG who have experience with both, which do you think are superior? In particular, how does the durability and fit of the sleeves compare? And, how do they compare in thickness. I could not find any specifications on the thickness on KMC sleeves. Are they as thick as Fantasy Flight Sleeves? Or, is the thickness more comparable to Mayday standard sleeves?

Most of the information on the internet regarding KMC sleeves concerns the Matte Versions or the thinner "Perfect Fit" versions, but I am really interested in any information individuals may have regarding their standard clear versions (W Version). I appreciate any insight BGG users may have in this regard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
ffg makes a ton of sleeves. which ones do you mean?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ranicus
United States
flag msg tools
I should have been clearer. I am referring to the standard card game sleeves from FFG (the grey/silver? pack).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
scifiantihero wrote:

Although FFG offers different sizes, they are all of the same quality and thickness.

I don't know about the KMC sleeves, but the FFG sleeves are superior to Mayday and UltraPro IMHO. Better handling, better shuffling. I use them exclusively.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Original Dibbler
Germany
Aachen
NRW
flag msg tools
designer
What's one damage?
badge
It's na-fing!
mbmbmbmbmb
PzVIE wrote:
scifiantihero wrote:

Although FFG offers different sizes, they are all of the same quality and thickness.

I don't know about the KMC sleeves, but the FFG sleeves are superior to Mayday and UltraPro IMHO. Better handling, better shuffling. I use them exclusively.

I prefer Ultra Pro over FFG but both are great IMHO. The thick Mayday sleeves are OK if the are correctly cut and not too short.

The only clear KMC sleeves that I know of are the perfect fit sleeves that are meant to be used within another sleeve. Therefore they fit more tight and are thinner. Nevertheless they are much better thanany over thin sleeves. I fsleeved some games with the perfect fit sleeves and they work fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastián Koziner
Argentina
Capital Federal
Buenos Aires
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
OK Art Studio - www.okartstudio.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Besides just quality, Fantasy Flight has one great advantage: sizes and standardization.

At least in my country is hard to find variety of sizes from different providers, but I can buy FF sleeves for all the games i have in all different shapes and sizes, and I know all my games will have the same quality, witch is actually very good.

Not gonna lie, I'm kinda a FF fan, but I love the detail that their games actually says witch sleeves to buy and how many, makes my life a lot easier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I only have the KMC sleeves for Mage Knight, but there is no better fit. They are thin, but I have no real issue with them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ranicus
United States
flag msg tools
Matt,
Are the KMC's you use "Perfect Fits"? My understanding is that these are thin sleeves that many use inside other sleeves. Or, are you using their standard W Version?

I am interested in the KMC W Versions as they seem to be a better fit for Netrunner cards (from what I can tell in pictures) than the Fantasy Flight sleeves. People seem unhappy with the length of the FFG sleeves. But, I like the thickness of the Fantasy Flight Sleeves, which I thought perhaps the W Versions were comparable in this regard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, they are the perfect fits ones. I see zero need to have them inside another sleeve.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Crenshaw
United States
Shepherdsville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FFG sleeves for me. Shuffle better, and are top quality that is always the same size.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
PzVIE wrote:
scifiantihero wrote:

Actually, the've got a bunch of different lines. Hence, ya know, my asking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Original Dibbler
Germany
Aachen
NRW
flag msg tools
designer
What's one damage?
badge
It's na-fing!
mbmbmbmbmb
scifiantihero wrote:
PzVIE wrote:
scifiantihero wrote:

Actually, the've got a bunch of different lines. Hence, ya know, my asking.

Bunch of lines? Clear, coloured back and art sleves, or am I missing something? I only used the clear sheets so far and they are really good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.