Jeffi F.
Germany
flag msg tools
Hi there,

both characters seem very boring to me.

Has anyone ideas on how to make them more interesting to play, especially Doc Cottle?

Kralli

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hendrik R
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Doc Cottle is everything but bland. His card handing/drawing ability is one of the most interesting in game, in fact. Lots of people like Ellen for what is essentially a super-light version of what Cottle has now. He is extremely powerful if teams are clear, as he's basically always on a Press Room with almost-free colors. If teams are not clear, he's just as powerful, but as usual this becomes a double-edged sword. An Executive Order to him increases the power of him and someone else. What if he's a Cylon. What if he and the guy he hands cards to are Cylons? While getting more cards is generally good, muddling the colors everyone has in his hand makes it nigh-impossible to count hands and attribute spikes to anyone with certainty.

With Romo it's slightly different. He is interesting in that he's another character that does not draw leadership, which I think makes the game more interesting in general. His OPT is not so fun indeed, as there's no decision involve. His OPG is very situational, I have played a game where it being available affected decisions to brig someone in a major way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Bazzano
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, I always thought the idea of Doc as a character was a bad idea from the get go. I mean, the guy's whole career was basically set in the sick bay, and I just don't see how that translates into a playable character at all. I was actually hoping for a Gunny Mathias as a support character myself, but a Marine is always going to vote for another Marine.

As for Romo, I don't think he's boring really, just maybe not the best tactical choice for President, but I wouldn't pass him up myself. Then again, I thought his Klepto would be a nice positive power instead. Steal a card just discarded or used at his location. Or, maybe steal or trade a card with someone at his location. Something along those lines might have been more fun to play. Of course, I was actually hoping for Billy myself, instead of another version of Lee that is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
U.S.A., Earth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kralli wrote:
Hi there,

both characters seem very boring to me.

Has anyone ideas on how to make them more interesting to play, especially Doc Cottle?

Kralli

If that's how you feel, you may as well skip straight to Hot Dog or Hoshi then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffi F.
Germany
flag msg tools
I want all of the characters in the game and thus modified several (Saul Tigh, Laura Roslin, Tom Zarek, Samuel T Anders, Tory Foster, Chief).

But seems I misread Doc Cottle. Thought, he only could exchange cards, but in fact he generates new skill cards. Good Man, good Man!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hendrik R
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Kralli wrote:
I want all of the characters in the game and thus modified several (Saul Tigh, Laura Roslin, Tom Zarek, Samuel T Anders, Tory Foster, Chief).
If Laura Roslin is too boring for you, then you might consider adjusting your criteria for "interesting" cool

I see where you're coming from, in my group, she doesn't see lots of play either. She's got one of the best abilities in the game, and to balance that she got a harsh drawback. Deciding how to deal with that and when to activate locations makes her quite interesting, though that is something that requires quite a bit experience with the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffi F.
Germany
flag msg tools
I found an interesting alternative for Laura Roslin here on BGG. She only has to discard 1 skill card when activating a location.
On the contrary she can only look up the top card of the crisis card deck and has to decide to go along with it or slide it and pick the next one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Me, I'll play a few with the new characters before jumping to any conclusions. I'm good with having a range of different types of character that excite different types of people; your play group may be more homogenous, in which case it's worth changing some characters to give you more playable characters for your group. Even then, seeing them in action first is probably a good move - most people - professional game designers included - can't judge the nuances of a card or character without seeing it in actual play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls