J. David Koch
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Hey...That Tickles....
mbmbmbmbmb
Ra has been one of the most popular games with my weekly gaming group. My brother-in-law Everett and his son Jordon came over and asked to play with just the 3 of us. They had both only played once before and liked it, but thought there was a better strategy than what they tried the first time, so I broke it out.

Have to admit, I was a little smug going into the game, since I had won the last 5 times that I had played. Little did I know....

We broke out the 10 talents each for started cash and dove right in.

First 3 pulls and 3 Ra tiles hit the top of the board.
No tiles to bid on yet so everyone passed. Next two tiles, drought and monument. My nephew calls Ra! he wins auction and throws out the drought and banks the monument. One more tile hits the table (Pharaoh) and my brother in law yells Ra! and takes it. By this point, I am noticing that they are not letting any real volume of tiles hit the board before they call. Works for me I figure. 2 more Ra Tiles and the epoch starts getting squeezed out. I'm running out of time. They continue to bet on small lots and I take one that has some Nile tiles, but no floods have shown. Then I'm left with two auction tiles and they are out. Hehe, now I'm going to get some tiles I think. But, Ra, Ra, and out.
Epoch over!
Wha.....?
End results for first dynasty:
I get low Pharaoh (negative points) , no civilization tiles, (negative points) Niles, but no floods, (zero points)

On to Epoch 2
They continue their strategy of calling Ra when one or two tiles hit the board and I get nothing. Absolutely, nothing that epoch....
Still low Pharaoh and no civ tiles. I'm at zero.

Last Epoch
Bound and determined to get some traction this round. Finally get a flood making my 3 Nile tiles good...(finally) and did pull 4 different monuments. Both Everett and Jordon were letting the lot spaces build up this time as they were neck and neck on points. I really needed a miracle to catch them at this point. Things were going well and collection track was filling up and no Ra tiles yet. Then we hit 4 in a row and everyone including me ran out of auction tiles bringing this last epoch to a close.

Final results:
Everett 1st
Jordon 2nd
Me... Dead last...

Was a fun game and they wanted to play again right away. Happy to report I did win the next one. But their strategy of calling Ra so early with so few tiles on the collection track did throw me off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.