Subject: Power up... Worth it? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Barker

Redondo Beach (90277)
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've got a little cash to burn and I absolutely love KIng of Tokyo. In fact, it's shipping to my house as I type this.

Question is: Is Power up really imperative? Does it really make the Characters more distinct? Does it simply add a touch or revolutionize?

Also, does anyone know if there are plans for more expansions that aren't convention-only promos and not the Halloween future Halloween pack? Should I wait to see if it gets bundled later on?

Lastly,how possible is it to add a 7th player yet keep the game in tact?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Miller
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
Wow you hovered. I'm honored.
badge
My Dog Has Fleas
mbmbmbmbmb
I've recently started adding power up to games after playing the base game extensively and will always add it from this point on. Adds a nice mix of hidden powers that people have access too and gives you an extra reason to go for hearts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
habanero86 wrote:
I've got a little cash to burn and I absolutely love KIng of Tokyo. In fact, it's shipping to my house as I type this.

Question is: Is Power up really imperative? Does it really make the Characters more distinct? Does it simply add a touch or revolutionize?

Also, does anyone know if there are plans for more expansions that aren't convention-only promos and not the Halloween future Halloween pack? Should I wait to see if it gets bundled later on?

Lastly,how possible is it to add a 7th player yet keep the game in tact?

Power Up isn't imperative but it does make the game more fun in my opinion. Usually I play a couple of games without the evolution cards when playing with new players but then introduce them. Without them there is zero difference between the monsters so they are not distinct at all.

Power Up is 'Expansion 1' so there will almost certainly be more expansion outside the Halloween expansion.

Not sure on 7 players. It's recommended for 2-6 but I couldn't see there being that many problems adding a seventh, it would just be a little mental!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
But I don’t want to go among mad people
badge
Oh, you can’t help that, we’re all mad here.
mbmbmbmbmb
jonahmaul wrote:
[q="habanero86"]Not sure on 7 players. It's recommended for 2-6 but I couldn't see there being that many problems adding a seventh, it would just be a little mental!

And a bit hart to stay in Tokyo for a full turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved from King of Tokyo to King of Tokyo: Power Up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Kunes
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Certainly not required, but it does offer variation to each monster and an additional consideration when rolling... do I roll for hearts in order to get an evolution card or not? Despite the mixed reviews, we enjoyed it and will likely play with them going forward more often than not.

meeple Keep playing...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Rogers
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KOT has been the most played game in my house this year. The Power Up expansion is not essential to the KOT experience (there are times when I will not use them, especially when teaching the game to new folks), but I like the extras it can offer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
YES!

Not a must buy, but worth it if you play KOT often!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Riddell
United States
Webster
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like the Power Up expansion. I do think the cards add a lot to the characters.

We often play with 7 with no problem except it runs a little long, but still fun.

I love expansions that give you options for another player and enhance game play. This does both.

I'd say get it when you find it for a reasonable price. I found it at my FLGS for $20 and just happened to have $25 in gift tokens for the store. Done deal and I don't regret it. Friends of ours recently bought KoT and shortly afterwards sought out the expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Boyll
United States
Kuna
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess I will be the detractor here. I know, again. Call me a contrarian.

I prefer the game without Power Up. While it provides more variety and special powers, it speeds the game up to get down to two faster and then extends the game when down to two. When I need harts and we are not playing with it I miss it some. But once we are down to just two it is obvious to us how much better the game is without it.

We've also found the the energy looses its worth and nobody goes after the power cards that made the game fun because the power up cards ar so good and you get them for doing something you need anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Lambert
United States
American Fork
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I always play with Power Up now that I have it.

One thing that I really like about it is that it differentiates the monsters a bit. For example, if your play style is more aggressive you can pick a monster that tends to have more offensive evolution cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Swan Bones
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to add my voice alongside Sean's just in case you bought this and wondered what the fuss was about. I've found that the Power Up expansion undermines the fluidity of the game for me. Suddenly the theme and past-paced action was lost and there were these annoying extra cards to deal with. Now I normally like complexity and variability in my games, but the Power Up mechanic just detracts from everything that makes the game a joy. We no-longer use the expansion cards (with the proviso in the edit).

Edit:

If you really need variability in monster powers picking one (random or otherwise) power up to begin the game with and otherwise not using the cards is the only variant (and not an official one) in which the cards have sort-of worked in our games. But, IMHO, it's still not worth the distraction from the brilliant base game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.