Hide
5 Posts

Earth Reborn» Forums » Rules

Subject: Jet Pack and Yellow Dotted Line, etc rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kuro Kokon
msg tools
I need some clarifications about Jet Pack.
Please correct me if I'm wrong.

No.1 (the main issue)
The carrier can enter squares OWAYDL (outlined with a yellow dotted line) and end his flying movement on such a square.
He can freely move off the area by normal movement order (just as a fresh zombie created in Zombie Lab).

If you cannot give me a "correct" answer to this, please tell me which is the way you'd adopt:

#A
The way I mentioned above

#B
The carrier can pass over any squares OWAYDL as descripted in the rulebook (page 42) but cannot end his flying movement on the area.

No.2
The carrier can exchange equipments (aside from Jet Pack, of course) with a friendly character during the flying movement.

No.3
Jet Pack gives its carrier "6 squares of Movement", not 6 Movement Points.
Thus, the carrier cannot open or close doors during the flying movement.

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lear
United Kingdom
Lewes
Sussex
flag msg tools
With skill his story will unfold
Microbadge: Earth Reborn fanMicrobadge: ZX Spectrum fanMicrobadge: Caylus fan
What I'd do (without worrying too much about checking the rules):

1 B on gut feeling, but I'd happily go for A. Or a hybrid version where the Jet Pack user can land on (eg) the Wrecked Tank but has to use the Jet Pack to get off it again. But using B will avoid the need to invent more what-if rules about things like targetting characters in normally illegal locations (can you do hand-to-hand combat with someone standing on the outside square of the Wrecked Tank? Etc)
2 Yes
3 Let them open doors, but for one movement point, as per normal movement. But it might be fun to say that they can only open sliding doors, which sort of seems more thematic.

There are times (like wanting to target a spot on the ground that has nothing targetable in it, but will cause useful area damage) when going for what seems more thematic is preferable (for me) to being precise about the rules.

Disclaimer: I've played a lot of Earth Reborn, but never actually used the Jet Pack. Maybe I should give it a go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Geek RegularMicrobadge: I was here for BGG's Tenth Anniversary!Microbadge: Level 13 BGG poster
To the Op:

I would never allow anyone to end their move on an impassable square, which the yellow lines denote. The reason for this is because you may end up with cheesy results (blocking LOS on boxes or similar) and it keeps things simple. The exception, which has been discussed before, is Zombies when first created. We rule that the first thing it must do if a CP is spent on it is to move to a legal square.

Doors can be opened wearing a jet pack, there is no reason why you cant hover a few inches above the floor to open a door. The same goes for passing equipment.

Having said that I see nothing wrong with people deciding what they prefer and my answer is as good as anyone's here.

I agree with Chris on one rule change. Exploding weapons always target a square and not a character, wall, door or floor element. Really, this is common sense to me and it seems silly if you can't. It is also consistent with the examples given where it uses the words 'square' and not 'target'.

Ultimately when we played these sorts of issues rarely came up. When they did we found it easy to quickly make a decision and move on. We generally aim for simplicity in the rules while making sure any rule we decide is fun and not cheesy (exploiting a rule to get an unintended advantage)

It's a great game by the way and we are hooked on it. We usually rotate our games but we are 'stuck' on this one. We've done a couple of SAGS and that is where the game really shines.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
msg tools
rex123 wrote:
Disclaimer: I've played a lot of Earth Reborn, but never actually used the Jet Pack. Maybe I should give it a go.
O dear sir, I have as well.. and JetPack is a heavy fun to toy with all the time, almost each use turns into some blasting action stories, I can tell!..and in my last sags for Salemites, I have deployed Dr.Kendal with that right away..and that's some serious stuff!..

Remembering that character cannot interrupt other activated character while moving through occupied square by another char (or itself!) here's what I captured a year ago:
From gallery of spokosin

Jess couldn't see Nick while flaming poor James that had some espionage materials, so nick could fly over Jess and grab that stuff from James and fly back with no chance to get interrupted!.. hell that kept escalating later on (hand-grenades over the corners is a great finisher!!) but this very move had blown my opponent and made me win by 5MPs I remember well!
-that's to the OT's No2. On No3, I use to spend MP given by Jetpack to open the door as usual, while haven't noticed any exceptions in rules)

To the rest of the OT, I agree with most of said above..but let me share this very situation when I played cat'n'mouse in the 4th scenario with some newbie I guess and 'somehow' I had managed to 'close' all of his characters into the Zombielab! But right after then, one of Salemites had raised a Zombie to be activated:
From gallery of spokosin

After two years with ER this happened for the first time to me (how awesome!)..anyhow, we kinda intuitively had agreed, that zombie was 'free to walk on the yellow area, CC and shooting as usual, and after leaving such an area, there was no way back as usual..
Maneuvering felt like a Sokoban and hard to manage 'well', but othervise very okay and.. I follow that ruling ewer since. (up today I believe that it follows rules quite strictly)

Though, it have not witnessed yet, that any character would want to end the JetPack movement on the yellow area.. but I can't wait to!

cheerz&ER4EVER!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Geek RegularMicrobadge: I was here for BGG's Tenth Anniversary!Microbadge: Level 13 BGG poster
Thanks for that Jan. I'm finding that items I originally considered not that useful or gimmicky quite the opposite. I now realise in my last SAGS It would have been a game changer if I had the jetpack as I really needed to kill the professor but he was protected by good blocking tactics. I also remember it coming up in a search and I simply passed it by. Doh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls