Philip Christiansen
Denmark
Grenaa
flag msg tools
Let me start saying, that I do not own any of these games, but Im planning to buy.

I know for sure I start with LoD, but I really really like the campaign option in WoA, so I probably will buy both.

Here are my concerns. I have been reading about the heroes being powerful. Lets say I play a strictly WoA campaign with WoA monsters, only with LoD heroes, would this be unbalanced?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Burigo
Italy
Belluno
flag msg tools
designer
badge
“Don't try the paranormal until you know what's normal.” - Granny Weatherwax
mbmbmbmbmb
If I remember correctly, heroes from TLoD have usually ways to perform more than one attack per turn, while heroes from CR and WoA have usually a higher attack bonus.

I don't know if this is enough to compensate the difference in action economy, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Short answer: No.

Longer answer: WoA is filled with 2 HP monsters. As such, it makes no difference if you have an out-of-turn attack with LoD heroes. The notion that LoD heroes are overpowered keeps coming up but is usually based on two or three of the eight (!) heroes contained in LoD.

Let's just look at some of the heroes in both boxes:

Drizzt, Artemis (both LoD)- yes, these two are likely the strongest heroes in the games. Catti-brie (LoD) - also one of the stronger heroes with mobility, control through kiting and flexibility.

Wulfgar (LoD) - squishy with the worst AC out of all heroes. You can attack twice per round only if you do not select his self- healing strike. No better than Tarak (WoA) who has a decent chance to deal extra damage each round and a fantastic daily power.

Athrogate (LoD) - personal favourite thanks to his hell boar but far from overpowered with poor AC and severely limited multi- attacks. Better in multiplayer games due to explosive morningstar.

Keyleth (WoD) - underused by me or anyone in our gaming group, can't comment.

Jarlaxle (LoD) - simply mediocre. Lacks attacks that deal massive damage or target multiple enemies. Vastly inferior to Quinn (WoA) who can heal through ranged attacks, has solid defenses and hit points and fantastic daily powers.

Heskan (WoA) - Incredible board control with Wizard Eye and Flaming Sphere. Takes some time to learn, but one of the best heroes, in my opinion. Clearly stronger compared with Regis (LoD) who often shines with one ability (Mass Charm), and only if you play with 4 or 5 players.

Vistra (WoA) - high AC, self- healing options, two attacks per turn, incredible mobility with Charge. Arguable superior to her dwarf fighter compatriot Bruenor (LoD).

Out of these two boxes, I would rank:

1. Drizzt
2. Artemis
3. Heskan
4. Catti-brie
5. Quinn
6. Vistra
7. Bruenor
8. Regis
9. Athrogate
10. Wulfgar
11. Tarak
12. Jarlaxle
N/A Keyleth

I say that the WoA heroes more than hold their own and have mixed and matched all heroes in all games. Players that did not know what boxes heroes came from never mentioned anything about power creep or imbalance.

As an anecdote, I've tried defeating the final adventure with my brother multiple times using all kinds of hero combos. When we finally fell the great wyrm, we were using Arjhan (CaR) and Heskan (WoA).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.