Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
16 Posts

Arctic Scavengers» Forums » General

Subject: Why rated so low? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Barker

Redondo Beach (90277)
California
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
This game has such an awesome theme, not only post apocalyptic, but ice scavenging as well! I may just be immature in my knowledge of the deck-building genre, but this game just seems to be much more of a complete and refined experience than Dominion. It seems that with all of the endless possibilities, Dominion has almost become a game system or experience rather than 1 fine-tuned, thematic boardgame. I'm really hoping this game gets support so that it can continue to expand. Why is it rated so low?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Harrison
United States
Fisher
Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
... and thanks for all the fish.
Avatar
mb
It only just hit widespread release after years in the Rio Grande Vault.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfram Troeder
Germany
Bruchkoebel
Hessen
flag msg tools
Boardgaming is not a matter of life or death...
badge
...it's much more important than that!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
See "Patent conspiracy".
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mb
6.78 is low?!
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moosey
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Your reasons for why this is better than Dominion (or other deck building games) aren't thoughts everyone shares. You could make the same argument for other deck builders being better than Dominion. I've heard those arguments for some other deck builders, and not found them nearly as fun as Dominion. I've not played Arctic Scavengers, but would certainly like to. I suspect I'll like it, but I'm guessing it'd have to have 3 times the content for it to be able to compete for me. But who knows, I may be surprised and like it even more than I think I will.

And then there's plenty of other factors for it's rating too. But I don't think this score signifies a bad game. And it's high enough to be some peoples personal favorites (or top tier of their favorites).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alex devito
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
There are a few things I think AS does better than dominion.

* 2 types of currancy to purchase cards
*all people have point values rather than all the point cards doing nothing else.
* the bidding and battle increases player interaction

The third point is both an advantage and disadvantage compared to dominion. Dominion is an excellent game, but sometime feels like solitare due to the low level of player interaction. AS solves this with the battle mechanic. Dominions strength is how quick the pacing is, you can draw and play your turn while opponents play. This is weaker in AS due to the bidding.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
cronedog wrote:
There are a few things I think AS does better than dominion.

* 2 types of currancy to purchase cards


I guess 6 types of currency would be even better.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Harrison
United States
Fisher
Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
... and thanks for all the fish.
Avatar
mb
DaviddesJ wrote:
cronedog wrote:
There are a few things I think AS does better than dominion.

* 2 types of currancy to purchase cards


I guess 6 types of currency would be even better.

He didn't say more types of currency; he said two types. You're building a straw man here.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
HuginnGreiling wrote:
DaviddesJ wrote:
cronedog wrote:
There are a few things I think AS does better than dominion.

* 2 types of currancy to purchase cards


I guess 6 types of currency would be even better.

He didn't say more types of currency; he said two types. You're building a straw man here.


He says the game is better because it has 2 currencies rather than 1. He doesn't explain why that would be better. If there's a theory as to why 2 is the optimal number of currencies, better than either 1 or 6, I would be glad to hear it.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan DeBardeleben
United States
Los Alamos
New Mexico
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoy AS quite a lot better than Dominion and I well remember falling in love with Dominion when it first came out.

What I like about AS is that you don't end up with 'dead' cards - you can always bluff with them.

I also really enjoy the scavenging aspect and how the deck starts to be depleted of good things. Early scavenging has a higher chance of finding something good - later on, it very well might be mostly junk. I think that feels realistic to me.

Dominion, to me, felt very abstract and I'm not generally a fan of abstract games. It may be that I also played Dominion to death like so many other people.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alex devito
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
DaviddesJ wrote:
HuginnGreiling wrote:
DaviddesJ wrote:
cronedog wrote:
There are a few things I think AS does better than dominion.

* 2 types of currancy to purchase cards


I guess 6 types of currency would be even better.

He didn't say more types of currency; he said two types. You're building a straw man here.


He says the game is better because it has 2 currencies rather than 1. He doesn't explain why that would be better. If there's a theory as to why 2 is the optimal number of currencies, better than either 1 or 6, I would be glad to hear it.


This is of course just my opinion, but I'll try to flesh out my ideas better. I find 2 resources to be more exciting than 1 because it gives you something to balance. In dominion, you buy everything with gold, so everyone wants more gold or higher currency cards as it is needed for everything.

With 2 resources you decide how agressivly you go after either one, and the different combinations unlocks different avenues of gameplay.

Are you an RTS player? The early games had only one resource type. Later ones had two. Would starcraft be better with 6 resource types? Prolly not, but two that buy different things and work in differnt ways adds another level of choice to the game.

4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
cronedog wrote:
Are you an RTS player? The early games had only one resource type. Later ones had two. Would starcraft be better with 6 resource types? Prolly not, but two that buy different things and work in differnt ways adds another level of choice to the game.


OK, but they reached this result by trying different things to see what works. Donald tried Dominion with one currency and with two currencies and he found that the former worked better. You can't assume that something will work better in one type of game just because it works well in a completely different type of game. Your argument is a great plausibility argument for why this would be worth trying, but you still have to try it to see how it actually works in practice. At least, that's my opinion.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Does Dominion Alchemy Potions count?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alex devito
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
I'm glad we are getting a dialogue going. Perhaps dominion would be worse with a second currency. Maybe it would have been more accurate to say I enjoy the two currency system of AS better than the one currancy system of dominion.

Just shoehorning a second resource in doesn't make it superior, I'd agree to that. I like how the meds work very differently from the food. You have to dig for them. They aren't just a feed back loop of food bying people with better hunting values or coins being used to by bigger coins, but is rather a very differnt mechanic.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alex devito
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
lfisher wrote:
Does Dominion Alchemy Potions count?


I haven't played much of the expansions, the Alchemy pots do look neato!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Potions do count.
And they are rarely used.

This is not to say that a second or third currency cannot work.Alhambra has 4 currencies, but I never play the game without the fifth currency, Diamonds, because they even the odds just a nudge.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.