GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,455 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
13 Days Left

Support:

Alexandra Logan
Australia
Bardon
Queensland
flag msg tools
mb
I have always been fascinated with games compendiums. For example when you get all the components for checkers and chess and backgammon in the one box. Sure that's pretty easy for abstract games. But lately I've been more interested in the themes and graphic design of games and its integration with mechanics.

So here's a little challenge to design a compendium.

Pick a box.
Describe the box.
Then pick what games you are going to put in it.
Then tell me what your unifying theme is and why these games should be in the box.

Note: The games don't have to be in the same format as the version currently in publication. This is simply a creative exercise. For example, you may pick a theme and then games which suit your box mechanically but not in terms of artwork. Or to get the game to physically fit in your chosen box you may like to have a scaled down version.

I'll start:
I've got a small/medium sized plano box. The compendium is to be a light space themed box with an assortment of games covering an array of mechanics. The games are:-
Martian Dice, Cosmic Wimpout, Love Letter, Eight-Minute Empire, Lifeboat and Cosmic Cows.

I might even be able to fit more things in if I consider double sided boards and cards with multiple uses.

What would you put in your compendium box?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clem Fandango
New Zealand
WELLINGTON
flag msg tools
Stephen, it's Clem Fandango. Can you hear me?
badge
YES I can hear you Clem Fandango!
mbmbmbmbmb
The deduction box

Throw out the contents of Fortune and Glory: The Cliffhanger Game and write The Deduction Box on it with sharpies

Add

Inkognito
Mystery Express
Die Kutschfahrt Zur Teufelsburg
The Resistance: Avalon
Saboteur
Werewolf

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Life is a lamp-flame before a wind.
msg tools
badge
mu
mbmbmbmbmb
The Gateway Box: Hey, That's My Fish!, Carcassonne, Cartagena, TransAmerica, Blue Moon City. None of the games are very component-heavy, so I think they easily could fit into a medium-sized box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I don't put any games in the box. As soon as it opens all available space is filled by the cat and I haven't the heart to kick her out. Besides, while she's in that box she's not at the game table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clem Fandango
New Zealand
WELLINGTON
flag msg tools
Stephen, it's Clem Fandango. Can you hear me?
badge
YES I can hear you Clem Fandango!
mbmbmbmbmb
blaecblaed wrote:
I don't put any games in the box. As soon as it opens all available space is filled by the cat and I haven't the heart to kick her out. Besides, while she's in that box she's not at the game table.

I nearly suggested a box of cat games called Shrodinger's Box, but worried whether it should be full of games of chance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Smith
United Kingdom
Solihull
West Midlands
flag msg tools
http://www.youtube.com/user/SmoothCJS
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SamNzed wrote:
blaecblaed wrote:

I nearly suggested a box of cat games called Shrodinger's Box, but worried whether it should be full of games of chance.

Or it could be an empty box, you wouldn't know till you opened it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.