London» Forums » Variants

Subject: Another Solo London. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: Variant:-Solo [+] [View All]
Blazing Apostle
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The following Solo variant owes much to one posted here by palmerex some time ago.
Mine is a slight variation of that theme, and I hope you get enjoyment from it.

Use only the top row of the card display.Only 3 spaces of the top row
of the display are available.
All cards in the decks are effective.
Draw cards from the decks. You cannot draw cards from the card display, unless cards in your building display allow you to do this through normal card play.

Use 2 sets of building counters. One for yourself and the other for the opponent.Give opponent 5 poverty.

The opponent takes control of a borough when

A. You buy a borough (opponent player takes next adjacent borough with highest V.P.)
Or

B.You must add a 4th card to the card display ( Opponent again takes
Next adjacent borough with highest V.P.

If adjacent boroughs are tied for next highest victory points, you decide which borough opponent takes control of.

When the opponent takes control of a borough, draw the number of cards for that borough as per the normal rules.The cards are blindly drawn and are placed face down in a separate pile. This separate pile becomes the opponents cards for game end scoring purposes.

When you place the 4th card on the top row of the card display, discard those cards which will have no bearing on end game scoring.

The opponent then takes control of another new borough and draws the number of cards for that borough again blindly for his end game scoring
pile.

When opponent takes control of the 11th borough, the action
" buy Land " is no longer available to you.

You may not have duplicate cards in your building display.
Example: 2 steamboat cards.

At the end of the game, take the opponents cards that where given to him/her for borough control and add up all the victory points of those cards.
Do not count cards that were discarded from the card display.
Add all the Victory points from opponents controlled boroughs.

When "buy land" actions have ended, each time the card display has to be cleared, any cards with victory points are placed on the opponent's face-down pile and the rest discarded.

All other scoring is the same as per the normal game.

Highest Victory points wins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blazing Apostle
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Add up all the Victory points.... and yep, that was my typo.Hope you enjoy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blazing Apostle
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are most welcome and glad you enjoy it. I find that it helps develop strategies for when you play the game with others. meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blazing Apostle
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As you can see I have added your thoughts to the solo rules. Seems it might make it a bit more difficult to get a win, which can be a good thing, and I agree that decks B & C can drag on somewhat; it can only add to the pleasure of playing the game solo. Thanks for that...now lets` see if we can`t beat that Christopher Wren at his own game...hahaha. meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blazing Apostle
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes I have tried the other variants solo which are good. Try it with 3 cards and no victory points, we want it to be tough but not completely unbeatable. meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Stables
Australia
Lawson
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
moxyoron wrote:
Yes I have tried the other variants solo which are good. Try it with 3 cards and no victory points, we want it to be tough but not completely unbeatable. meeple

Thanks for the variant, played a couple of times (won both) and agree that if buy lands option has ended (due to dummy placing its 11th building), when forced to play the 4th card into the display, not only does the dummy player get the discards with vps but also excutes 'draw 3 cards' action otherwise there is no strong penalty (other than vp discards) for playing the 4th card. It also speeds up play.

Also I think with the dummy player buying land, 1 or 2 boroughs tie for vp so I would add if there is a choice, the dummy player will take the highest vp with the most cards to draw otherwise you choose.

Thanks again

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.