4 Posts

Duel of Ages II» Forums » General

Subject: Computer or PBEM version? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Wade Evans
Australia
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Order of the Stick fanMicrobadge: Duel of Ages II fanMicrobadge: Blood Bowl fanMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: I love Australia
I recall the designer notes mentioning that the shift to a 10 point system for ratings would be easier to code in the digital field. While I love DOA on the table, I get most of my DOA gaming in using a cyberboard gamebox (for DOA 1). Are there any plans for an electronic version? How about a cyberboard or vassal module?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't seen anything yet aside from a couple of hints that there might be an electronic version available eventually. I would be so happy to see this!

Do you play Cyberboard in real-time? I haven't had any experience with this.

I think the wits based combat ordering is supposed to remove some of the little rules discrepancies from simultaneous combat and therefore make for easier electronic implementation. However, PBEM type play would get slowed down a bit because of this due to the additional back and forth during melee.

A possible workaround to speed this up when playing a forum game could be for the active side to resolve all of their attacks, even for lower wits characters. Then only implement the results if they do not get killed etc. before their turn. Not the most elegant solution though and I haven't really thought it through fully with respect to the different combat abilities of characters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mesich
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Horta chortles.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Weird.

I see no reason why this would be significantly any easier to program. Math is what programs are good and it wasn't exactly calculus to compare attributes in DoA1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade Evans
Australia
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Order of the Stick fanMicrobadge: Duel of Ages II fanMicrobadge: Blood Bowl fanMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: I love Australia
Hi Mac, we play over cyberboard over e-mail so a game takes a while. On one hand it isn't as quick or pretty as FtF games but it does have a few advantages - you can see all your cards face up but the hidden ones remain hidden to your opponent, you can leave it set up, you can easily see where the other person moves his characters for op fire, we've got extra counters and stuff for health. So, if you're not in a hurry, it's great. You get used to the back and forth nature in between melee, dismissals, banishments etc.

I'm hoping an electronic version is in the offing. Not sure I have time to make a DOA 2 gamebox and suspect I wouldn't get Brett's permission at this early stage in the game sales anyway!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls