Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Sundström
Sweden
Bollnäs
Hälsingland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played the first scenario in the adventure book today just to get the hang of the rules. A few things came up that I hoped some of you might be able to answer.

1. When losing your last HP at the beginning of the Hero Phase due to being Poisoned, I assume that the Hero is knocked out and has to spend a Healing Surge at the beginning of the next Hero Phase. Now, does the Poison marker stay with the character when knocked out? Also, since Monster does not care about knocked down Heroes, will they just stand there doing nothing until the Hero is back on his feet?

2. A Duergar Guard appeard a couple of tiles away from the Hero. His tactics said that if he was too far away from any Hero and on a tile with an unexplored edge, a new tile should be placed. This applied in this case but right before the unexplored edge was a locked door. Should the new tile be placed anyway?

3.I played as Vistra, the Dwarf Fighter. Her powers said that I could either move my speed and then attack (+7, or as it +8?) or attack an adjacent Monster (+11). Since the Heroes actions are either Move/Attack, Attack/Move or Move/Move, can I move the Hero next to the Monster and then use the +11 attack or will this fall under the "move your speed and then attack"-power stated on the other card?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arto Hietanen
Finland
Vantaa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) From the rulebook: "While Poisoned, you Hero takes 1 damage at the beginning of your Hero Phase. Take this damage before using any Treasure cards and before checking to see if your Hero needs to spend a Healing Surge." So you get right up.

Poison condition stays with the hero until he makes the saving throw.

Monsters ignore downed heroes, so unless the hero at 0 hp is the last hero standing, the monster will move towards/attack another hero (or whatever is in its tactic).

2) There is very little official info about the doors. I play it so that the duergar opens the door and a new tile is placed there, but this is not an official ruling.

3) Yes you can. The move your speed + attack ("Charge" IIRC) at-will is very useful e.g. when you are Dazed or when you want to reposition your hero after the attack for exploration or just moving out of range of the monster(s). Using the Charge you kind of get two moves + one attack in one hero phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Miller
United States
Stigler
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Doors' interaction with sentries is actually surprisingly complicated by the standards of this game's rules. I play it that closed doors are treated as walls until opened, but I consider Bartheus' rule to be the next cleanest solution.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Crowell

Urbana
Illinois
msg tools
mbmb
We also play that the sentries ignore closed doors.

Just to clarify what Sir Baltheus said, the Charge power incorporates a free movement that is in addition to your ordinary movement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Sundström
Sweden
Bollnäs
Hälsingland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your answers! I played it that the new tile was not placed because of the locked door, which seems to be the way you also play it. It's always nice not to be alone on certain interpretations.

Regarding Vistras Charge power: does this mean that I can move, attack and then move again? Then I understand why you'd want to use that power instead of the other one (Attack +11; can't remember the name), because if both meant that you could move and then attack, why use the weaker attack? But the second movement makes the difference!

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arto Hietanen
Finland
Vantaa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dansun wrote:

Regarding Vistras Charge power: does this mean that I can move, attack and then move again? Then I understand why you'd want to use that power instead of the other one (Attack +11; can't remember the name), because if both meant that you could move and then attack, why use the weaker attack? But the second movement makes the difference!
Yes. The usefulness of the Charge power is that it allows you to move before your attack using just the attack action. This leaves your normal move action available to be used afterwards (or before the charge, if you really need to sprint a long way before hitting the monster).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Smith
United States
West Nyack
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dansun wrote:
I played the first scenario in the adventure book today just to get the hang of the rules. A few things came up that I hoped some of you might be able to answer.

2. A Duergar Guard appeard a couple of tiles away from the Hero. His tactics said that if he was too far away from any Hero and on a tile with an unexplored edge, a new tile should be placed. This applied in this case but right before the unexplored edge was a locked door. Should the new tile be placed anyway?
My understanding is that locked doors only are considered for scenarios that specifically mention them. So, for the first scenario, I believe you would ignore all doors and just consider them all opened unless you're adding optional rules.

Which brings up another question, does it require an action to check a door? The rules don't specify. It just says "a hero adjacent can try to open the door". It does say it requires an attack action to try and unlock the door.

Further, I'm surprised that rogues don't have some method of potentially avoiding a trapped door. That is one of their strengths in D&D, is it not?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sir Gaulen de Loria
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmb
Dansun wrote:

1. When losing your last HP at the beginning of the Hero Phase due to being Poisoned, I assume that the Hero is knocked out and has to spend a Healing Surge at the beginning of the next Hero Phase. Now, does the Poison marker stay with the character when knocked out? Also, since Monster does not care about knocked down Heroes, will they just stand there doing nothing until the Hero is back on his feet?

3.I played as Vistra, the Dwarf Fighter. Her powers said that I could either move my speed and then attack (+7, or as it +8?) or attack an adjacent Monster (+11). Since the Heroes actions are either Move/Attack, Attack/Move or Move/Move, can I move the Hero next to the Monster and then use the +11 attack or will this fall under the "move your speed and then attack"-power stated on the other card?
1. If you are poisoned and at the beginning of your turn take damage because of this condition that brings you to 0 the next step is check if there are Healing surges available. If there are, then you use 1 and get up immediately. Don't need to wait till next turn. First is poison damage and then check healing surge.
If you take damage (by any other means) in the mid of your turn (for example) then your figure is knocked down. You still draw encounter cards (see if they apply or not) and also actívate monsters, but since you are downed they won't do anything if playing solo(except from Duergar Guard or Kobold, they still can reveal new tiles).
You have to roll for conditions even when knocked down. They don't disappear.

2. A locked door is not an unexplored edge. Is like a Wall. In the firt scenario no doors are played with, so in the case you talk about since there should be no door the Duergar would discover a new tile. In other scenarios with doors I think the Duergar couldn't place a new tile through a locked door. He would move 1 tile towards the hero (if the hero isn't KO, otherwise the duergar wouldn't do anything).
To open a door an action is not needed unless it is locked. If it's open I suppose you can continue with your movement(eg. move 2 spaces and check a door (not locked) then you can move the rest of your movement and place somewhere else or you can advance near the edge through the now opened door to explore.

3. This depends on the power you choose. If you choose CHARGE you can move up to your speed, then make an attack (+8) and then you have your movement action. You also can move first (movement action) and then use CHARGE that allows you to move again and finally attack adjacent.
If you use your other power (+11) don't mix with other power cards. With this card you can attack after your move action or before.
Of course you always have the option not to perform an attack action and make two moves.
It depends on the situation and the strategy but CHARGE is a very good card. In other situations a +11 attack might be necessary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls