GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,184 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
18 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

Shadowrift» Forums » General

Subject: First Impressions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kelly B
Finland
Vantaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Disclaimer: The following was written after a single play through. Please bear that in mind; this is NOT a review.

Last night four of our group sat down with Shadowrift. We are co-op fans who love theme so we were looking forward to the game excitedly. Co-op-wise, we have played Lord of the Rings LCG extensively and have died many times in Space Alert. In the deck-building genre, we have played Resident Evil, A Few Acres of Snow, Core Worlds, Thunderstone and Mage Knight. We were ready for anything.

I should note that one of our group had never played a deck-builder before and was new to gaming in general. He picked up on the rules and played smoothly almost immediately. Kudos to the design for that.

We got a couple of the rules wrong at the start. We thought we had to pay for villagers in order to use them. The cost, however, is the price you must pay to bring that villager from the traveller's deck into the village (discard pile). The reason that there is a cost on non-travellers is because if a villager dies, it goes into the traveller's deck. This was clear in the rules however it had been overlooked.
Playing incorrectly actually made it harder for us because we didn't take advantage of the villagers as often as we might have.

We also neglected the Might cards, they weren't really noticed until late in the game and by then our victory was nearly assured. If we had done so, this battle would have been even easier. Their looking exactly like Prowess cards didn't help.

I took on the role of healer but didn't use the skills much at all. I didn't adopt this role until late and thus didn't invest in a lot of healing but also because we found that we were doing fine just soaking up wounds. We had exhausted the wound deck and could still easily take care of enemies that were approaching. We could poke the baddies for one or two hits from each of us, sometimes buffed with a spell or skill, without any repercussions. We had enough heroisms by then that an ineffective hand was rare.

We let one monster get through in the whole game and to be fair, it did cause things to get a bit tense, but by then we had 3 shadowrifts in the power area waiting to be sealed and it wasn't long before the fourth showed up.
Granted, the Storm Lords are probably the weakest enemy faction but I guess we were expecting to lose given the build-up in the manual. None of us felt like we were taking roles and I wouldn't say anyone at the table was immersed in the theme.

This is not to say it is a bad game. I've rated it a six, I'll play it if there is nothing else more interesting going on and I'd like to try the game again knowing what we know now and with a more challenging scenario. Within the next couple of weeks we are going to try the Thunderstone Advance: Root of Corruption co-op variant out and I'm sure everyone involved will be comparing our experience with that to Shadowrift.

a single play play of any game isn't enough to provide a full survey of it and it's not my intent to provide such an overview. I suppose I'm writing this because I want to feel the same level of immersion that I hear this game inspiring in others.

What do you all recommend for our next foray to Haven Town? I'm fairly certain we won't want to faff about with any of the variants but I am hoping I can provide a greater challenge to our group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Ossar
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have found that taking all the wounds is a good strategy vs. the Storm Lords, especially if you concentrate them in a designated victim.

happycatmachine wrote:

We let one monster get through in the whole game and to be fair, it did cause things to get a bit tense, but by then we had 3 shadowrifts in the power area waiting to be sealed and it wasn't long before the fourth showed up.

Just curious: were you adding extra monster power for the shadowrifts in the monster power area? It's a little hard to see, but they do have an icon. With that many shadowrifts sitting around, you will generally wind up facing a massive monster rush.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly B
Finland
Vantaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jossar wrote:
I have found that taking all the wounds is a good strategy vs. the Storm Lords, especially if you concentrate them in a designated victim.

happycatmachine wrote:

Just curious: were you adding extra monster power for the shadowrifts in the monster power area?

Yes, 3 came out in a single turn if you can believe that lol.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Fanchi
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My group has similarly found the difficulty less challenging than we would like, so what we have done is to put the Cultists that come with the Demon faction into the traveler deck with the other infiltrators. We find that having these guys show up adds just enough extra monster power to give the game a good level of difficulty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.