Zoran Rilak
Serbia
Beograd
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'd like to hear your opinions on Turr Phennir's ability and whether we've been (ab)using it in our games so far:

The dispute revolves around literal vs. thematic reading of the card. While the card text and the rules taken together imply that Turr Phennir can perform a free boost/roll action only after having attacked, the thematic reading of his ability would certainly allow such an action. After all, Turr can close his eyes, imagine a ship in front of him, say "pew-pew-pew" aloud and perform a free roll all he wants

How do you guys play this ability?

(Here's the text of the card and the rules for the reference)

After you perform an attack, you may perform a free boost or barrel roll action.

Combat Phase
During this phase, each ship may perform one attack
against one enemy ship that is inside its firing arc
and within range. Starting with the ship with the
highest pilot skill, players resolve the following
combat steps in order:
1. Declare Target: The attacker chooses which
enemy ship he wishes to attack.
[...]
During this step, the attacker (the active ship) must
declare its target (the ship he wishes to attack). The
target ship must be inside the attacker’s firing arc
and within range. A player may measure to verify that
these conditions are met before declaring a target.

(emphasis mine)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris K.
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Eclipse fanMicrobadge: Let's play by these rules - the ones actually in the rulebookMicrobadge: Rules LawyerMicrobadge: Safe, Sane, ConsensualMicrobadge: Polyamorous
It's a game, and we are talking about rules and in this case they are not even slightly ambigous.

No Attack, no Free Action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Büttner-Zimmermann
Germany
München
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
Wiggle It!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think "perfom an attack" is quite clear.

If you had nothing to fire upon, or you choose not to attack, you may not use the special ability. Easy as that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse L
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
chrisdk wrote:
It's a game, and we are talking about rules and in this case they are not even slightly ambigous.

No Attack, no Free Action.
Exactly. The rules don't have to coincide with reality. I see this sort of reasoning pop up way too often.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Creed Buhallin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Why does a Gunner sit their doing his big Wookiee nails until Han misses a shot, then grab the controls to fire? Does Darth Vader need the blaster fire to illuminate the target he wants to crush with the force?

For that matter, why can't I fire just BEFORE I hit an opposing ship, rather than waiting until I'm on top of it and can't shoot?

The abilities are what they are. In Turr's case, everyone has it right - no attack, no trigger for his ability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Duclos
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
Who ya gonna call?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, I one time got the "blinded pilot" crit against me on a lower skill pilot. The guy who shot me was destroyed before the blinded pilot got a chance to fire. My blinded pilot never had a chance to fire that round, so he remained blind til the next [more critical] turn.

Kind of the same issue...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Lieffring
United States
Athens
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The attack provides necessary converting fire for his maneuver. Coming up with narrative explanations really isn't that hard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zoran Rilak
Serbia
Beograd
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Excellent. I've been trying to persuade my brother that rules are rules no matter their thematic (mis)reading. Thank you everyone for providing supporting fire!

An interesting follow-up question is how much would this ability up the cost of Turr Phennir if it weren't dependent on having to attack; but that's for another thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls