Popular Tags: [View All]
Alastair Jack
Australia
Doreen
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw people saying this game was great, but it has a really low ranking on this site? it must be a pretty bad if its worse than Catan and Dominion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Presley
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The BGG rating is affected strongly by popularity. E.g. if 12,000 people rate SoC an average of 9, it may end up be lower-ranked than 31,000 people rating Dominion an 8 because of the larger number of people. Just because a game is ranked lower doesn't mean it's worse; the rankings are more a popularity poll than a recommendation. The advantage is that a very small number of people can't artificially inflate an obscure game's score, but the disadvantage is that some gems can get lost in the shuffle.

Also keep in mind the no 1 game on BGG's rankings, Twilight Struggle, is rated a 8.35. Coming in above a 7, and in the top 100 in the very competitive Thematic category, is by no means a low ranking here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Pereira
Ireland
Sligo
Sligo
flag msg tools
Changed the outfit.
badge
Hope you didn't get too confused!
mbmbmbmbmb
Aaaaaand! It's not ranked low! It's ranked quite well in fact. It's 237 in a universe of more than half a million games logged in the BGG data base. That's a pretty awesom position!!!

I'm not good at calculating percentils but I'm sure this is somewhere in the 95%+

It has also withstood the test of time as it is going to be 9 years old soon.

It's a great game and it enjoys a prominent position in the board gaming world.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
alastair john jack wrote:
I saw people saying this game was great, but it has a really low ranking on this site? it must be a pretty bad if its worse than Catan and Dominion.
Hey the game you rate highest, Eminent Domain, is ranked even lower. So don't believe what the BGG mass opinion says about anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Maxwell
United States
Burtchville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As mentioned above, 237 is NOT a low ranking, it's just not in the top 100. There are games in the top 100 that I loath, and there are games ranked lower than 1000 that I love.

Don't put too much stock into the ratings. When I first found BGG, I used them as a starting point; I browsed the top 100 for things that seemed interesting and pursued those. If you and yours enjoy the game, the ranking doesn't matter.

As for my personal feelings on Shadows Over Camelot, I enjoyed it until I discovered Battlestar Galactica. Haven't looked back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Oi! Hands off...
Microbadge: Princes of Florence fanMicrobadge: I delete all my 'Free Game Contest Participant' microbadges so people don't think I'm a scrounger.Microbadge: Glass Road fanMicrobadge: Game Group Organizer
BGG doesn't like old games. Fact of life.

Suggestion: ignore the rankings and create your own. Post witty comments so people will enjoy reading your justification.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls