Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Geoffrey Engelstein
United States
Bridgewater
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
Pit Crew avaialble now! The Expanse coming in October!
badge
Ludology Host and Dice Tower Contributor
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the fifth in a series of articles about the design of Space Cadets: Dice Duels.

The other articles were:

How Stations Work
Helm
Weapons
Tractor Beams

There are (basically) three different types of squares on the Space Cadets: Dice Duel board: Asteroid, Nebula, and Crystal.

Asteroids and Nebula affect a ship that moves through the square or is moved into it by an enemy tractor beam.

The effects of these squares are very simple. An Asteroids square forces the ship to remove two Shield Dice from the Shield Display. A Nebula square forces the ship to remove two Sensor Dice from the Sensor Display.

In either case if you have fewer than two dice on the display you simply lose what you have.

There are six crystal squares, numbered one to six. Each space gets one crystal at the start of the game.

You pick up crystals via the Tractor Beams, as described in the last Design Notes article. Once you have crystals you can use them for one of three special abilities - Station Override, Warp Jump, and Energy Surge.

Station Override allows you to place any Station Die on any facing directly onto the Display, without needing an energy die. You still need to find the correct face on the die and place it down, but it can be very useful when you really, really need Aft Shields NOW.

Warp Jump allows you to hop to another point on the map. This freezes the action the same way as a torpedo launch or tractoring the enemy ship. Then you roll two Energy dice (standard D6's) and you must move your ship to one of the indicated crystal spaces - Remember that they're numbered from 1 to 6. You keep the same facing. Then the action continues.

Energy Surge lets you recover Energy dice from the Damage Track. Each time you take a point of damage you have to put an Energy Die on the Damage Track, which makes it harder to operate your ship. For the cost of two crystals you can replace one of those dice with a crystal and return it to Engineering.

You still have the same amount of damage - no repair in this game. You just regain the use of the Energy die.

All used crystals (except one taking a slot on the Damage track) get placed into a Used Crystal space on the side of the board. The next time someone launches weapons you roll one die for each used crystal and place it back onto the board in that space.

And that's the last of these Design Notes! There are a few more optional rules and other tidbits in the game, but I'm going to leave those as a surprise for later.

Thanks for reading this far!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds very interesting indeed When do we get it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Arthur Ellis
United States
Ashland
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Geoff, thanks so much for these. Haven't anticipated a game this much for a while!

Just saw on Stronghold Games' website that it will be for pre-order for early delivery at 30% off this August. Will order on day one of that, be sure to post on BGG and let us know when it's up. :)

http://strongholdgames.com/store/available-for-preorder-now-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
蓝魔
United Kingdom
Bingham
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So where can those in the EU pre-order this for the equivalent of $35 ??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dusty S
United States
Cheney
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geoff,

The game sounds great! Can't wait to play it!
The BGG page indicates 4-8 players. In your testing, did you find eight to be the sweet spot, or is there an ideal number of players that you found?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Engelstein
United States
Bridgewater
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
Pit Crew avaialble now! The Expanse coming in October!
badge
Ludology Host and Dice Tower Contributor
mbmbmbmbmb
We did most of our testing 2 v 2, so I'm partial to that. But I think it works fine with all player counts. Each has their charms.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dusty S
United States
Cheney
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
engelstein wrote:
We did most of our testing 2 v 2, so I'm partial to that. But I think it works fine with all player counts. Each has their charms.

I tend to only be able to muster small game groups so I like your answer
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.