Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Xybertek Systems
Trinidad and Tobago
Port of Spain
flag msg tools
publisher
Hello,

I am working on a crossword board game, and will appreciate your suggestion with regards to the concept I came up with.

What do you think I need to do to make it a success in terms of:

1. playability (read about the game here
2. Attractiveness (see box artwork here - http://www.tagongame.com/TagOn_BoxTopNew.jpg).

NOTE: the game will have it's own unique game character illustrated to replace the existing character in the logo.

I will appreciate your feedback and suggestions. Let me know if it Is ok to carry on, pause and do some rethinking or modification.

Regards
ID

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kSwingrÜber
United States
Ridgefield
Washington
flag msg tools
(watch this space)
badge
Does changing the text here count towards "Change Your Avatar" day?
mbmbmbmbmb

You might want to double-check the spelling on that cover.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xybertek Systems
Trinidad and Tobago
Port of Spain
flag msg tools
publisher
Thanks. I guess you are referring to this - The World's most meaningful crossword game"

kswingruber wrote:

You might want to double-check the spelling on that cover.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
In terms of playability, it doesn't appear that you have changed anything after the last time you requested and obtained feedback. So ditto everything that was said in that entire thread.

The image on the game's page does give some extra information about point scores for letters though. Why is "E" worth three times as much as "A"? E is the most common vowel in the English language, even with a restricted dictionary I didn't think that'd change much.

In terms of box art, the subject-verb disagreement is somewhat glaring.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xybertek Systems
Trinidad and Tobago
Port of Spain
flag msg tools
publisher
In terms of changes, I did made significant changes. I will send the complete rules to you.

x_equals_speed wrote:
In terms of playability, it doesn't appear that you have changed anything after the last time you requested and obtained feedback. So ditto everything that was said in that entire thread.

The image on the game's page does give some extra information about point scores for letters though. Why is "E" worth three times as much as "A"? E is the most common vowel in the English language, even with a restricted dictionary I didn't think that'd change much.

In terms of box art, the subject-verb disagreement is somewhat glaring.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liz Spain
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
In regards to the box cover, I'm pretty sure Hasbro could sue you for infringing on the Scrabble trademark. Those tiles in the photo are clearly basis for brand and product confusion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SĂ©bastien Boissonneault
Canada
flag msg tools
Gameplay-wise, it feels like an educational game, and those have a really ba d reputation.

As for the visuals, whats with the pink pig headed character? Does he have anything to do with the game?

As mentionned before, we can see the watermark on the images you've used, so I supposed that is not final, but the Scrabble look is blatantly visible. I suppose that the game letter tiles looks different, so you should display them there.

Finally, the box cover is usually the very last step for a game. It's the first look for a buyer and the only opportunity to summarize the strong points of the game. From what it looks like, it seems like a Scrabble knock-off with a bible theme. So I don't see the uniqueness, because if some people wants a bible Scrabble, then they'll play Scrabble but limit the words they can use. So what is the unique features of that game that makes it worth a players time?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xybertek Systems
Trinidad and Tobago
Port of Spain
flag msg tools
publisher
Folks,

The complete game rules here - www.tagongame.com/English_TagOn_GameRules_BBG.doc

I guess this will help in providing you with sufficient information so as to provide more contribution.

Thanks again
ID

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that you'll find a big AP problem.

In scrabble players can take a long time to take a turn, looking for possible combinations of their seven letters.

This game gives a player access to eighteen letters (nine on their grid and nine face up), which by my count gives 6402373705728000 possible combinations (compared to 5040 for regular scrabble)

Some of the bonuses seem too specific to seriously influence game play. A bonus tile that only applies to 39-51 possible words (compared to scrabble bonus tiles that apply to 171,476 words if you're playing with the OED) seems like something that wouldn't get much play.

The move towards tagging on being a bonus rather than a necessity seems like a solid improvement on the original idea.

I'm still uncertain as to the game's goals or what it might be able to achieve. It seems impossible to play the game without a fairly comprehensive knowledge of the bible dictionary being used (since it contains only 800-4,500 words) so it doesn't feel like it could serve much in the way of an educational purpose (as anyone capable of playing the game is already fairly well versed).

It's also good to consider whether this holds together as a game in the absence of any deeper meaning. Suppose that only the titles of boardgames (I pick this as a subject that we presumably both have some familarity with) were playable and the bonuses were for things like playing another game by the same designer, publisher or manufacturer as one already on the board. Would this be enjoyable?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xybertek Systems
Trinidad and Tobago
Port of Spain
flag msg tools
publisher
Thanks.
First, the available letter for a player at a time is 10 i.e. 9 letter from grid and 1 letter from face up, though there are 9 letters in face up at every time.

Second, I wondered how to score point so that it doesn't appear too specific. Any suggestion?

The aim of the game is to mentally connect and remember bible events, stories as people play key bible words.

x_equals_speed wrote:
I think that you'll find a big AP problem.

In scrabble players can take a long time to take a turn, looking for possible combinations of their seven letters.

This game gives a player access to eighteen letters (nine on their grid and nine face up), which by my count gives 6402373705728000 possible combinations (compared to 5040 for regular scrabble)

Some of the bonuses seem too specific to seriously influence game play. A bonus tile that only applies to 39-51 possible words (compared to scrabble bonus tiles that apply to 171,476 words if you're playing with the OED) seems like something that wouldn't get much play.

The move towards tagging on being a bonus rather than a necessity seems like a solid improvement on the original idea.

I'm still uncertain as to the game's goals or what it might be able to achieve. It seems impossible to play the game without a fairly comprehensive knowledge of the bible dictionary being used (since it contains only 800-4,500 words) so it doesn't feel like it could serve much in the way of an educational purpose (as anyone capable of playing the game is already fairly well versed).

It's also good to consider whether this holds together as a game in the absence of any deeper meaning. Suppose that only the titles of boardgames (I pick this as a subject that we presumably both have some familarity with) were playable and the bonuses were for things like playing another game by the same designer, publisher or manufacturer as one already on the board. Would this be enjoyable?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xybertek Systems
Trinidad and Tobago
Port of Spain
flag msg tools
publisher
What are the scoring option for this kind of game? any suggestion?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The player still has 18 letters to choose from for constructing their word, though the fact that selecting one of the faceup 9 eliminates the possibility of choosing any of the others there are still a huge number of combinations (I think about 3 million, though the calculation is a little more complicated).

In terms of an interesting scoring square, given the importance of the tag-on mechanic to your game you could make a square that doubles the words value whenever someone tags on to it?

It's important to distinguish between "the goal of your game" and "the goal of players who are trying to win your game". You might try to design a game that makes clever strategic decisions feel rewarding, but the players are trying to win. The job of the designer in this case is not "make it easier to win" but "make the decisions a player makes while trying to win meaningful"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xybertek Systems
Trinidad and Tobago
Port of Spain
flag msg tools
publisher
YES. The tiles are different- see them here - http://boardgamegeek.com/image/1708980/tagon
I will re-do the artwork with my unique tiles. Meanwhile, did you get to read the complete game rules here - www.tagongame.com/English_TagOn_GameRules_BBG.doc

ceetheman wrote:
Gameplay-wise, it feels like an educational game, and those have a really ba d reputation.

As for the visuals, whats with the pink pig headed character? Does he have anything to do with the game?

As mentionned before, we can see the watermark on the images you've used, so I supposed that is not final, but the Scrabble look is blatantly visible. I suppose that the game letter tiles looks different, so you should display them there.

Finally, the box cover is usually the very last step for a game. It's the first look for a buyer and the only opportunity to summarize the strong points of the game. From what it looks like, it seems like a Scrabble knock-off with a bible theme. So I don't see the uniqueness, because if some people wants a bible Scrabble, then they'll play Scrabble but limit the words they can use. So what is the unique features of that game that makes it worth a players time?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls