SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We played Keith's copy of Rialto yesterday and thought his rules explanation was clear. In the final actions of the game, he used a large Councilman card play to move a lot of pieces into the best scoring district, moving him from 3rd place there to 1st, beating me into 2nd place and Richard into 3rd there. As a result, he scored 23 points, I got 11 and Richard got only 5 points. At the final scoring, this one move won him the game, without which I'd have won and Richard would have been second.

Today, Richard raises this question with me. When you move Councilmen around like that, isn't it only into the current district? Not just hoof them from any district to any other district?

Let's check the English rules as they is writ:

Quote:
F Councilman
For each card played, that player moves 1 of his councilmen from his personal supply to the current district.
If a player has no more councilmen in his personal supply, he may move councilmen that he has already placed on the board.
Bonus for most cards played: The player puts 1 more councilman into the current district.

So Keith had 6 moves (5 cards plus majority bonus), and only 1 piece in his personal supply. He places that into district 6, and then moves 4 pieces from district 4, where he has loads, into district 2, where I've placed many high value bridges and 5 pieces. The 4 Keith moves in raises his total to 6, beating my 5 and Richard's 3. With his final move, he moves another piece to another area to snag a few more points.

So the rules really don't say explicitly that surplus card moves are only into the CURRENT district. When we played, Keith read the rule out as above and we interpreted it as played above. But now we wonder if it should read "If a player has no more councilmen in his personal supply, he may move councilmen that he has already placed on the board into the current district.".

If only there was some way of knowing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bond
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
EYE of NiGHT wrote:
When you move Councilmen around like that, isn't it only into the current district? Not just hoof them from any district to any other district?

Correct

Quote:
For each card played, that player moves 1 of his councilmen from his personal supply to the current district.
If a player has no more councilmen in his personal supply, he may move councilmen that he has already placed on the board [...to the current district].
Bonus for most cards played: The player puts 1 more councilman into the current district.

See the words in bold and the ones I have added in [].

Quote:
He places that into district 6, and then moves 4 pieces from district 4 ... into district 2

Not legal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Editor at Lookout Games
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sorry, this one phrase has been lost in translation. It should, in fact, read like Andrew has posted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ponton wrote:
I'm sorry, this one phrase has been lost in translation. It should, in fact, read like Andrew has posted.

Yes, I see now that the corresponding line in the German rules is more explicit.

Quote:
F Ratsherr
Für jede ausgespielte Karte setzen die Spieler 1 eigenen Ratsherren vom Spielertableau in den aktuellen Stadtteil.
Hat der Spieler nicht genug Ratsherren auf dem Spielertableau, darf er diese aus anderen Stadtteilen abziehen und in den aktuellen Stadtteil verschieben.
Mehrheitsbonus: 1 zusätzlichen Ratsherren vom Spielertableau einsetzen.

So I won!!!
Not that winning matters, it's the fun of the game blah blah blah.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.