Subject: Shouldn't have gone for those cheap boosters. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Red Eye
United States
flag msg tools
D6 dead ahead Captain!
mbmbmbmbmb
A word to the wise: double-check those booster rockets before the count gets to zero. Just ask the Russians today.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
Answer: Pepsi
badge
Me Grimlock?
Microbadge: Sara Bareilles fanMicrobadge: The Expanse fanMicrobadge: This is not the microbadge you're looking forMicrobadge: Star Wars Lightsaber - Ahsoka TanoMicrobadge: Star Wars fan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb

I think she's being generous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Red Eye
United States
flag msg tools
D6 dead ahead Captain!
mbmbmbmbmb
DarrellKH wrote:
I think she's being generous.
Must be the Russian judge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Minneman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Jackasses? You let a whole column get stalled and strafed on account of a couple of jackasses? What the hell's the matter with you?
mbmbmbmbmb

You are having a bad problem and you will not go to space today.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erich Schneider
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Crap, there goes the refinery I just boosted."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Bob742
msg tools
War is a Racket - Maj Gen Smedley Darlington Butler d
Microbadge: Cure for cancer in our lifetimeMicrobadge: Movement for Smaller GameboxesMicrobadge: I hate big boxes for little games!
Was anyone hurt or killed? It almost looked like there was some sort of ejection. Hopefully no one was.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Red Eye
United States
flag msg tools
D6 dead ahead Captain!
mbmbmbmbmb
The news reports indicated it was a satellite launch. The ejection bit was probably an effort to save the payload from the fiery landing, or perhaps it was just more failure. I certainly wouldn't have posted this video in a light-hearted way if I thought anyone had been injured.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig C
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure I'm exposing my ignorance about such things, but it strikes me as odd that the Place Where Fire Comes Out to Help Them Escape is in front of the People Box.

It would not help my trepidation, especially if I was Russian, to be sitting there waiting for liftoff staring at the exhaust port of a rocket and have the guy next to me say, "Oh, that? That's in case we're in trouble."

Again, I may be misunderstanding the picture, which is kinda funny in and of itself. Could just be the People Box, which is built to withstand the heat of Going Up Into Space, can withstand the blowtorch in front of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antti Tahvanainen
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bird94us wrote:
I'm sure I'm exposing my ignorance about such things, but it strikes me as odd that the Place Where Fire Comes Out to Help Them Escape is in front of the People Box.

It would not help my trepidation, especially if I was Russian, to be sitting there waiting for liftoff staring at the exhaust port of a rocket and have the guy next to me say, "Oh, that? That's in case we're in trouble."

Again, I may be misunderstanding the picture, which is kinda funny in and of itself. Could just be the People Box, which is built to withstand the heat of Going Up Into Space, can withstand the blowtorch in front of it.
I'm not an expert myself, but if something really bad happens (like the tank with air they breathe explodes), you climb to the part that is used to get away real fast (escape module) and light the stuff to get away, to other direction than where the everything is burning, leaving People Box behind, not caring if it gets a little torched.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Minneman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Jackasses? You let a whole column get stalled and strafed on account of a couple of jackasses? What the hell's the matter with you?
mbmbmbmbmb
AnttiT wrote:
I'm not an expert myself, but if something really bad happens (like the tank with air they breathe explodes), you climb to the part that is used to get away real fast (escape module) and light the stuff to get away, to other direction than where the everything is burning, leaving People Box behind, not caring if it gets a little torched.
According to the The Computer Books That Know Stuff, this is not the case. The People Box does go along.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig C
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
robbbbbb wrote:
AnttiT wrote:
According to the The Computer Books That Know Stuff, this is not the case. The People Box does go along.
Heckuva deal. This is why I help engineer things that don't leave the atmosphere.

I figured the People Box went along, since the People are probably told to remain in their Chairs until the vehicle comes to a complete stop, so their designers must've figured the People Box could withstand the heat.

I'm also guessing that if the Tank with the Air They Breathe explodes, the People will probably be propelled up to and through the Escape Rocket faster than they could climb, and in less-than-perfect anatomical cohesion. But I can't say for sure.

Thanks for the info!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig C
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
robbbbbb wrote:
AnttiT wrote:
Combining this topic and Kerbal Space Program (aka "The thing that may cost me my marriage if I don't quit playing it so much"), Scott Manley tries building an escape rocket in episode 33 or 34 of his "Interstellar" series. As with all attempts at building anything in KSP, the first dozen iterations result in horribly humorous outcomes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom W -
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmb
I absolutely love that game.
 Thumb up
 tip