Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

Guildhall: Job Faire» Forums » General

Subject: Tax Collector Too Powerful? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Warren Wang
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
We just played our first session on Guildhall: Job Faire after pretty extensive experience with the original game. We randomly added two new professions, the Tax Collector and the Peddler, and randomly subtracted two of the old ones, the Farmer and the Trader. After just this one sessions, we all agreed to ban the Tax Collector permanently from all further games! The profession was felt to be way too overpowered and completely changed the game. My wife, who won, only collected one completed guildhall and got all the rest of the VPs through racking up Tax Collectors. One way I think might balance the profession is to have one of your opponents select which card to give away. Any thoughts?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No problem with tax collector at all. A complete set gives you just 10 points and forces you to give away 4 cards in your Guildhall. I did that and still lost. Since you need 20 points, you'd need to do it twice and that isn't easy unless your opponent isn't paying attention.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim McMahon
United States
West Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Lookee what he can do! He wants a job!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mcgill94 wrote:
We just played our first session on Guildhall: Job Faire after pretty extensive experience with the original game. We randomly added two new professions, the Tax Collector and the Peddler, and randomly subtracted two of the old ones, the Farmer and the Trader. After just this one sessions, we all agreed to ban the Tax Collector permanently from all further games! The profession was felt to be way too overpowered and completely changed the game. My wife, who won, only collected one completed guildhall and got all the rest of the VPs through racking up Tax Collectors. One way I think might balance the profession is to have one of your opponents select which card to give away. Any thoughts?
It looks like the Assassin wasn't in your game...
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not played it, so this is only speculation.

Did you perhaps misplay that the first one gives 1 point and not 0?

Farmers as a comparison gives 8 point and this is 10 but you have to give away 4 people. Doesn't seem that excessive, does it?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Hill
msg tools
These comments seem to ignore the fact that you can give away tax collectors and so score more than 10 with tax collectors.

The original post does say that his wife only completed 1 set to win the game giving her at least 15 points from tax collectors.

I have seen someone score 12 points from 1 set of farmers plus 4 for the VP card he bought with them

I have to say that people may have to adjust thier playing style when tax collectors are in the game.
Assasinating them may be a bad thing.
Trading them and maybe even completing other peoples Tax collector sets to rob them of the 4 VP's for completing the set. Oh and ofcourse that will make your tax collector set weaker giving you more VP's for placing more collectors.

But we will need to see
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
watfordred wrote:
These comments seem to ignore the fact that you can give away tax collectors and so score more than 10 with tax collectors.

The original post does say that his wife only completed 1 set to win the game giving her at least 15 points from tax collectors.

I have seen someone score 12 points from 1 set of farmers plus 4 for the VP card he bought with them

I have to say that people may have to adjust thier playing style when tax collectors are in the game.
Assasinating them may be a bad thing.
Trading them and maybe even completing other peoples Tax collector sets to rob them of the 4 VP's for completing the set. Oh and ofcourse that will make your tax collector set weaker giving you more VP's for placing more collectors.

But we will need to see


Have played 8 games with Tax Collectors and have no idea what most of this posty is talking about.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Warren
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
La cheeserie!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
rickert wrote:
Have played 8 games with Tax Collectors and have no idea what most of this posty is talking about.

Put me in the camp of those that don't think it is too powerful but I believe I understand what watfordred is saying.

For example, I have four Tax Collectors in my Guild. I play a Tax Collector, collect my 4 VP, then give away one of the four Tax Collectors from the Guild because I have that color in my hand.

The next turn I could play another Tax Collector and if I had one in my hand I could then give away the color which is duplicated, which would mean I collected eight VP and could collect another four on my next turn. Or I give away another card and turn the Tax Collectors in for a VP card the next turn.

It would mean that you are pulling a lot of the right color Tax Collectors and the other player(s) have left you alone to do it.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
The next turn I could play another Tax Collector and if I had one in my hand I could then give away the color which is duplicated,


I don't think you can do this. The sidebar on page 3 says:

You cannot play or place cards that duplicate a card already in your guildhall.

(bolding mine)

You can't play a card that duplicates even if you would immediately get rid of the duplicate color.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could get very lucky and get 4 VP each turn but no more than that.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John F.
United States
Shelton
CT
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
StormKnight wrote:
Quote:
The next turn I could play another Tax Collector and if I had one in my hand I could then give away the color which is duplicated,


I don't think you can do this. The sidebar on page 3 says:

You cannot play or place cards that duplicate a card already in your guildhall.

(bolding mine)

You can't play a card that duplicates even if you would immediately get rid of the duplicate color.


I think he means he had a duplicate in his hand that he can replace the one he gives away on a future turn. So say you play a green tax collector. You have a red tax collector in your hand so you give away the red tax collector in your guildhall, because you know you can play it on a future turn.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
badge
Sometimes life is scary and dark. That is why we must find the light. -BMO
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't feel the Tax Collector is overpowered. In my first game with the Tax Collector, I tried the strategy of giving away a tax collector and chaining them, but it didn't really pay off.

The problem is that you have to have things line up very nicely. Your opponent's Tax Collectors can muck it up, and you have to get a lot of them in your hand.

It's definitely a viable strategy, but it's not a simple matter of doing it automatically. Making it work takes effort that could be spent doing other things, it requires some luck, and your opponents have to decide not to (or be unable to) affect your guildhall.

Also your opponents could try to do the same thing. You see, you all have access to the same cards. I'm not entirely sure how a card can be overpowered in this game, based on this principle alone. I could only see it if every game is won by someone using that one card. Unless the card is that incredibly overpowered, it doesn't matter as everyone is playing with the same cards.

Finally, I love it when someone makes an absolute judgement and house rule based off a single play. Ah people. whistle
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Graham
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
I am Broccoli, most intelligent vegetable!
badge
I will destroy you all!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The first game that we played with this expansion (we used all the new professions), I scored a solid 10 VP from Tax Collectors. A good amount, but I've scored similar amounts with Farmers. While we didn't get as many collectors in game 2, late in the game, I started to build them, so my opponent just used a Peddler to complete my chapter. Sure, I got the chapter, but he denied me the 7 VP I would have gained from playing the last 2 Tax Collectors (which I did have in my hand) AND stole a chapter with 4 Bricklayers.

Thus, my conclusion is that it's all about your opponent NOT letting you run wild with them. We had a similar game early on with the first set, where someone kept playing a 4th Farmer and then using a Trader to get rid of one. People learned not to let him do that in future games.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.