GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,485 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
22 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
17 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Chit Chat

Subject: Non-cartoon kids shows that you actually, kinda enjoy watching rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
badge
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
You probably find yourself in the room often when your kids are watching one of those Disney/Nick/etc. non-cartoon shows. Most are dreck, from your mature adult viewpoint. But some are actually, kinda enjoyable to watch. Here are my choices:

iCarly - unfortunately this just ended its run recently, but is the probably the best of this bunch in the last several years.

Wizards of Waverly Place - also ended its run, but often interesting/funny.

Victorious - occassionally interesting/funny, except for that ventiloquist dude - awful.

Good Luck, Charlie - I actually loathed this show for some time, but whenever the parents are involved in the plot it's actually quite funny, and I've warmed to it a bit. And the writers are braver about taking on real-life conflicts than other shows.

In the category of Please Kill Me Now:
Dog with a Blog
ANT Farm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mbmbmbmbmb
When I was in my twenties, I watched "Boy Meets World" and "Sabrina the Teenage Witch," but that was partly because I didn't have cable, and the only station I could get on the antenna was ABC.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
admin
Convention Committee
badge
BGG.CON! BGG.CON SPRING! BGG@SEA!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sinister Dexter wrote:

Good Luck, Charlie - I actually loathed this show for some time, but whenever the parents are involved in the plot it's actually quite funny, and I've warmed to it a bit. And the writers are braver about taking on real-life conflicts than other shows.
[/i]

I watch this one just to catch our very own David Arnott in his recurring role as the manager of the local Qwikki Chikki fast food joint.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
the last non-cartoon kids show I watched...
was You Can't Do That On Television.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
God messed up and here I am!
badge
It is my firm belief that little puppy dogs named Mr. Poopytime will bring our country together!
mbmbmb
A bit of nostalgia makes the Aquabats show amusing to watch sometimes. I listened to them a ton in high school.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
Yo Gabba Gabba
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I can, um appreciate?, Yo Gabba Gabba and Aquabats more since Mike Chapman is a writer for both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't think of anything that's still new, but you can never go wrong with Pee-Wee's Playhouse or Saved By the Bell reruns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sinister Dexter wrote:
You probably find yourself in the room often when your kids are watching one of those Disney/Nick/etc. non-cartoon shows. Most are dreck, from your mature adult viewpoint. But some are actually, kinda enjoyable to watch. Here are my choices:

iCarly - unfortunately this just ended its run recently, but is the probably the best of this bunch in the last several years.

Victorious - occassionally interesting/funny, except for that ventiloquist dude - awful.

Dog with a Blog
ANT Farm

Best I can do is give you a big +1 on everything you said. I enjoy the same ones and dislike the same ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy
United States
No too far from Philly
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I got...
badge
...something. :)
mbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:

For me it was...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike K
United States
Fairless Hills
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:

I don't know why I watched that so much as a kid.

Waitaminute ...

wow

gulp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Coyotek4 wrote:
fightcitymayor wrote:

I don't know why I watched that so much as a kid.

Waitaminute ...

wow

gulp

I still can't believe they got away with having a character named Mr. Shidler who looked like this:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Casiglio
United States
Ansonia
CT
flag msg tools
Falcon 2018 September 28, 29, 30 in Stamford, CT
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My kids are both in their 20's so my information is outdated, but I still consider "The Adventures of Pete & Pete" to be one of the smartest, funniest shows ever on television (kids shows or otherwise).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The neutral evil villain known as
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Ow quit it.
mbmbmbmbmb
icarly was the most consistently funny thing my kids watched. I got hooked into "the house of anubis". It was a soap opera style show where some kids in a boarding school found egyptian clues to a mystery. We tried sam and catt the other day, it was okay. It's Sam from "icarly" and she lives with catt from "victorious". I hope it gets better, because we like those characters. We also liked eerie indiana on netflix and goosebumps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goo
United States
Yorba Linda
California
flag msg tools
badge
Try to be nice to people, avoid eating fat, read a good book every now and then, get some walking in, and try and live together in peace and harmony with people of all creeds and nations.
mb
CrankyPants wrote:
Yo Gabba Gabba

Truth. Yo Gabba Gabba is awesome:

Friggin' Cornelius in effect!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goo
United States
Yorba Linda
California
flag msg tools
badge
Try to be nice to people, avoid eating fat, read a good book every now and then, get some walking in, and try and live together in peace and harmony with people of all creeds and nations.
mb
Blott wrote:
Sinister Dexter wrote:

Dog with a Blog
ANT Farm

Best I can do is give you a big +1 on everything you said. I enjoy the same ones and dislike the same ones.

Dudes. iCarly was good. They were good kids, they were funny, they worked hard at stuff to be successful.

Wizards of Waverly Place was terrible. Alex is a selfish bitchturd who would screw anyone over to get what she wants especially if she doesn't have to work hard to get it. But it was Disney. I found out a while ago that I can't let my kids watch Disney TV shows because they are only about obstinate, sarcastic kids who scoff at any sort of value in life and care only about shallow vanities and tearing other people down.

YMMV, of course.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Kruczek
United Kingdom
Colchester
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Horrible Histories is easily one of the best shows (let alone children's shows) to have been made in the last decade...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/cbbc/clips/p00h9nqb

And Sorry I've Got No Head is a sketch show that, for me at any rate, was far consistently funnier than most other sketch shows.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.