Star Wars: The Card Game» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Simple Deck Building for Non-Competitive Play rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul

Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am a purely recreational player who mainly plays with my kids. I will never play competitively so don't care about that aspect of building decks. Therefore, I have only one core set and purchase only one of each expansion.

My kids are young enough where the deck building aspect of the game is above them. We just want to sit down and play. In the core game, FF gives you a couple of basic decks to start playing the game and those builds came in very useful for my situation.

However, we would also like to start branching out and using the Hoth decks more while they learn about card synergies/combinations.

When you look at most strategy articles/deck builds online, they are almost always geared towards competitive play.

So, does anyone know of a resource that lists different deck builds that AREN'T geared towards competitive play (ie. require more than one particular objective set)?

Or, I would like to start building a simple deck reference guide for us "just for fun" players, so any deck builds that you have that require no more than one of any set would also be appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Griggs
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Paul, I don't know of any such resource. I play SW with my 10 year old all the time and I would encourage you to purchase the second core. It makes your decks much more consistent when playing. As an example, when playing a Sith deck, you just don't have a lot of hope unless you can get a Vader or Palp out. Having 2 copies of each really helps. Playing Rebels is easier since you don't really have any big unit cards in that deck, but being able to find and play Y-Wings is pretty import, as an example.

You only need 2 cores and once you have them, you can play any of the decks you find online. I'm sure everyone will chime in to support this position on the thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Lernout
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
badgermaniac wrote:
My kids are young enough where the deck building aspect of the game is above them. We just want to sit down and play.
The way the game is designed, the deck-building is dead easy, though! It shouldn't take long to sit your kids down with the sets laid out in front of them and say "pick ten of these you want to play with". They'll more than likely look at what's laid out and pick sets for specific cards they really like (say Yoda or Obi-Wan or whatever) and it gives them the freedom and opportunity to try out the new sets at their own pace and comfort level. Experimentation is half the fun of card games like this.

If you're not caring about having super competitive decks, this would be my suggested route. Each individual pod is relatively balanced and it's hard enough to put together something completely horrible from even random objective picks.

The one possible concern would be if your kids end up wanting to mix triple factions, as that can lead to resource-matching problems. However, if you're going full-tilt casual, it may be an option to hand-wave that particular rule and let them play without worrying about factions.

They may not fully understand competitive thinking when creating their decks, but they should have fun being creative and actually getting to play with the cards they got to choose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you don't care about being competitive, then why do you need deckbuilding articles at all? Just pick 10 objective sets from your chosen faction (maybe some Neutrals if you want) and there you go!

It won't take long for you to start to have favorite or un-favorite objective sets and over time you'll know what sort of cards you want to have and develop your own sense of things. That's what everyone did for the many years CCGs existed without the internet
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul

Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess I would answer that question by saying that there is a happy medium in there. While maxing out synergy (ie. tourney style) is not a priority, you would still hope that there is some synergy to enhance the fun of game play.

An earlier post noted an issue like resource generation. If, for instance, you have a really bad combination of objective sets, will it influence your ability to play particular cards?

We have only played about 5-6 times (mainly with the starter decks) so maybe this is not really an issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hal Martin
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
Love my Oilers!
badge
I miss my boy :(
mbmbmbmbmb
I think where we see some issue, is that some folks confuse deck building with competitiveness. Sure, playing in a tournament or league you will field strong, tight deck, but what is important to know, is that deck building is actually "part" of this game. Deck building doesn't mean making that perfect deck. You can do it for theme, location, or even crazy random.

Don't be afraid to deck build. It's easy to do in any capacity, be it competitive, casual, or just completely random. This game must have deck building IMO. If you don't, and just keep adding objective sets to your deck, it will just be mashed up and the fun will disappear because of the inability to play.

Either that or just continue to enjoy the starter decks.

*edited for last sentence*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hal Martin
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
Love my Oilers!
badge
I miss my boy :(
mbmbmbmbmb
badgermaniac wrote:
I guess I would answer that question by saying that there is a happy medium in there. While maxing out synergy (ie. tourney style) is not a priority, you would still hope that there is some synergy to enhance the fun of game play.

An earlier post noted an issue like resource generation. If, for instance, you have a really bad combination of objective sets, will it influence your ability to play particular cards?

We have only played about 5-6 times (mainly with the starter decks) so maybe this is not really an issue.
Yes, you will have issues playing cards with a bad combination of objectives. Remember, each objective produces an affiliated resource. Some cards (not all-those are neutral) Require a minimum of 1 resource matching that card (ie: a Jedi card that costs 4 to bring out, must have at least 1 resource being froma Jedi resource - an objective or a card that matches Jedi). So if you have a Smuggler, Jedi, and Rebel objectives out, playing more than one card from a specific affiliation will become a problem.

Thats where deckbuilding comes in place of just randomness. You won't have this problem with the starter decks really, as it is one affiliation with a splash of neutral.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Legendary fan - S.H.I.E.L.D. TeamMicrobadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level III - Are we geeks because we gaze at the stars, or do we gaze at them because we are geeks?Microbadge: "I have spoken."Microbadge: Legendary Online League participantMicrobadge: Black Widow fan
badgermaniac wrote:
I am a purely recreational player who mainly plays with my kids. I will never play competitively so don't care about that aspect of building decks. Therefore, I have only one core set and purchase only one of each expansion.
I'm kind of in the same boat, Paul. FWIW, you can find deck lists for two single-core+expansions decks in the following thread:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/990746/light-side-losing-eve...

Amidst the posts by multiple people advising me to just buy a second core set, you'll find objective lists for these decks: (1) my Smugglers/Jedi deck and (2) hundred's Rebel/Hoth deck. Both are single core decks that utilize the first couple expansions. I've played both, and I think they're quite fun! I hope this helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul

Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DarthEd wrote:
badgermaniac wrote:
I'm kind of in the same boat, Paul. FWIW, you can find deck lists for two single-core+expansions decks in the following thread:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/990746/light-side-losing-eve...

Amidst the posts by multiple people advising me to just buy a second core set, you'll find objective lists for these decks: (1) my Smugglers/Jedi deck and (2) hundred's Rebel/Hoth deck. Both are single core decks that utilize the first couple expansions. I've played both, and I think they're quite fun! I hope this helps!
Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abdul Rahman Ibrahim
Malaysia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Pick a theme, plunk in everything you think is related to the theme. If you're running 3 factions in one deck, put in Looking for Droids (dark side) or Rumors at the Cantina (light side) to make your resource fixing easier. At least, that's how I do it.

I made a deck called Death Star friends (Luke, Leia, 3P0, R2, Han, Obi-wan) and it works surprisingly well. Granted, Chewie wasn't there (yet) but I'll update the deck once it's available.

So yeah, there's a bunch you can do with one core and expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauli Vinni
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeap the building is really easy in this game, exspecially if you are not going to competative play!
One good rule is to keep the deck one or two faction combination, so there is less change that anything goes wrong.
If you want to be really sure use this rule of thumb:
- chose one faction and take 7 (or more) pods from there
- chose second faction and take 3 (or less) pods from there
- use the affiliation card of smaller faction.

(For example take 7 Rebel faction pods and combine them with 3 Jedi pods and take Jedi affiliation card. It means that you will have both resourses in the beginning of the game.)
But "all free" pick you favorite pods works allso guite nice. Those neutrall pods from the core set that allows you to ignore the resourse match "Rumours at the Cantina" for light side and "Looking for Droids" for dark side makes things even simpler! Just putting two of those in any deck will allow allmost any pod combinations to work in somewhat reasonable manner.

I have some decks that combine all "four factions" (including neuralls) and even they work reasonable well, but it reguires some serious deck planning and even then it is possible that something goes wrong in some games. Keeping it in two should be fine and Single faction decks works allways!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
László K.
United States
Hopatcong
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
badgermaniac wrote:
I only own one (1) core set and play the game exactly like you do with my gaming buddies. You do not need to own a second Core Set to play the game.

As far as your original question regarding Hoth, try the following:
(1) Choose an affiliation.
(2) Take the all of objective sets for that affiliation, up to 10 objective sets*.
(3) If necessary (or if you want to), fill out the deck with neutral objective sets, as needed, to meet the 10 objective set* count.
(4) Play.

*Alternatively, choose 8 objective sets to match the deck sizes found in the Core Set.

bgriggs wrote:
I'm sure everyone will chime in to support this position on the thread.
Well, almost everyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ladislaus wrote:
You do not need to own a second Core Set to play the game.
That is right.

However, it is not hugely expensive and it really enhances your options (and thus, to me at least, the fun to be had).

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ladislaus wrote:
I only own one (1) core set and play the game exactly like you do with my gaming buddies. You do not need to own a second Core Set to play the game.
Agreed. The only 'problem' of not having a second core set is that decks aren't very consistent. Imho, that actually 'increases' the replayability of the game, and it's 'balanced' by the fact that all players use 'suboptimal' decks.

After another cycle or two, no one will need a second core set, not even the competitive players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schwarz
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jhaelen wrote:
Ladislaus wrote:
Agreed. The only 'problem' of not having a second core set is that decks aren't very consistent. Imho, that actually 'increases' the replayability of the game, and it's 'balanced' by the fact that all players use 'suboptimal' decks.

After another cycle or two, no one will need a second core set, not even the competitive players.
Given the pod format, I suspect there will always be a place for two copies of The Ultimate Power, or The Secret of Yavin 4. Though, I agree, in a couple cycles a second core set is, probably, going to be exclusively the domain of competitive players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls