Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Shanahan
United States
Quincy
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm an infrequent Yomi player, and I really like the new online implementation. Just wondering if players feel that the online version more or less supplants the table version now? Quicker, less clunky in bookkeeping, players always on... I know that many players of Ascension feel like the Plaid Hat iOS version of that game had this effect on that one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
Shanahan wrote:
I'm an infrequent Yomi player, and I really like the new online implementation. Just wondering if players feel that the online version more or less supplants the table version now? Quicker, less clunky in bookkeeping, players always on... I know that many players of Ascension feel like the Plaid Hat iOS version of that game had this effect on that one.
What do you mean with "now"? It's been like that for me ever since the game was released; I've logged many more plays of this (and Puzzle Strike) online than face to face.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Gross
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I never really had local players to play with anyway, so for me it's been almost exclusively online for years.

I would say that, if I did have local players, I would be less inclined to play face to face now that the playtest revision rules are implemented online. I like both the rules and the play balance better in the proposed revision, not to mention doubling the number of characters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
...I paid 100 GeekGold for THIS?
mbmbmb
All other things being equal, I prefer playing offline, as it's much easier for me to read people face to face and it feels like there is more weight to the match

However, being able to find players more easily is an undeniable advantage that all online games have. And my first impressions of the normal draw rule and the new Shadows characters which are only playable online so far are positive. As someone who prefers playing offline though, rather than supplanting the physical game the changes moreso make me excited for a physical release of the expansion
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I purchased Yomi: First Edition earlier this year and had difficulty finding a regular opponent that was interested in truly learning the game. As such, my interest in the game waned. I recently found an opponent, and we've been playing (tabletop) four to six matches daily several times a week over our lunch breaks at work. My renewed interest led me to the Fantasy Strike website and the online implementation of the game.

I knew Yomi was playable online, but I never looked into it until this week. I've played a few times now and the implementation is great. I'm noticing, however, that there are some small changes to some of the character abilities (Setsuki) in addition to some new graphic design (displaying timing aids around special move text boxes, for example). This observation is what yielded the following two questions:

1. Will Sirlin inevitably be releasing a Yomi: Second Edition that implements all of these changes? I'm assuming such a game will release with Yomi: Shadows some time in the future (similar to Puzzle Strike Third Edition/Shadows), but has there been confirmation?

2. Are the new ability tweaks proposed changes, testing changes, final changes? Historically, how does the online version affect the tabletop version? Are changes to the online implementation intended to be errata to the tabletop version? Does Sirlin consider the new abilities to be better balanced? Or, is all of this just testing to go along with the development of Shadows?

I realize the changes are generally minor, at least on the surface, and I intend to continue playing the First Edition as it is printed for now, but I am curious if anyone has insights into Sirlin's mind on this matter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
Bucketeyo wrote:
1. Will Sirlin inevitably be releasing a Yomi: Second Edition that implements all of these changes? I'm assuming such a game will release with Yomi: Shadows some time in the future (similar to Puzzle Strike Third Edition/Shadows), but has there been confirmation?
There was confirmation in the sirlin.net forums and their chat; there will be a new version of the first ten fighters to go along with the release of Shadows. Alledgedly, there will probably also be a "complete" version that includes all 20 fighters.

Bucketeyo wrote:
2. Are the new ability tweaks proposed changes, testing changes, final changes? Historically, how does the online version affect the tabletop version? Are changes to the online implementation intended to be errata to the tabletop version? Does Sirlin consider the new abilities to be better balanced? Or, is all of this just testing to go along with the development of Shadows?
My understanding is that nothing is final until the physical version is released. That being said, the expansion characters are in playtesting for 3-4 years now, so they're probably close to final.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
...I paid 100 GeekGold for THIS?
mbmbmb
Since so far the changes seem to be limited to character cards (new layout and about half of them have ability changes), a few of the special abilities, and a couple face cards, I'm hoping that means an upgrade pack of sorts would be possible. No idea though

my understanding on the "finality" is the same as haslo's; they're still ongoing changes that aren't locked in yet but probably a good indicator of what's to come
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ralston
msg tools
Sirlin is doing his best to keep all changes to a level where an upgrade pack is possible, yes.

In general, the online version is where changes are "tested" - changes in the online version may or may not make it to a future print version, though of course when Sirlin changes something online, he does so because he thinks there's a reason to make a change there, so odds are good SOMETHING will change in the next print version in that area - and the online version is always Sirlin's best understanding of what's balanced, give or take implementation time and all that.

Also, of course, a lot of the changes (the graphical design changes, especially) have no real gameplay impact so even when second edition is out, there's no reason to care about those - their purpose is to make the game easier to learn.

All that said, Yomi 1 is still better balanced and stands up to repeated play better than just about any game I've played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessandro Maggi
Italy
Rome
Rome
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shanahan wrote:
I know that many players of Ascension feel like the Plaid Hat iOS version of that game had this effect on that one.
All things aside, there is a reference crossing here: are you referring to Ascension from Playdek or Summoner Wars from Plaid Hat Games?

I'm not a regular Yomi player, but as with any other game with a digital counterpart I prefer playing it "for real" but find myself playing the digital version every time I feel like playing but have no buddy around willing to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls