Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul W
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
There's a new preview up...talking about the Demetrius, Journey to Earth, and Rebel Basestar:

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=4225

Search for Home rules: http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/Battlestar_Gal...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul W
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Missions seem pretty powerful...it'll be interesting to see what they do to the game. It certainly seems like prematurely revealing a mission is a powerful reveal move...it'll be interesting to see how that plays out.

The rebel basestar locations a seem pretty cool...between them and Baltar, there are some interesting decision to be made wrt miracle tokens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tables
United Kingdom
Coventry
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Remind me... do we know how many missions there are? That deck doesn't look particularly big. I kind of hope it wouldn't be. Being able to find key missions sounds kind of important.

Edit:
Quote:
Similarly, character abilities and
card abilities that affect skill checks do not affect skill checks
on Mission Cards. This includes “Investigative Committee,”
“Restore Order,” and “Declare Emergency” Cards
Interesting... no interrupts on missions, for whatever reason, or skill check abilities. Also Restore Order, that's a thing, if we didn't know it already.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cochran
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Oh snap. Missions cannot be affected by character abilities or cards (specifically, the rules prohibit Investigative Committee and Declare Emergency as well as saying that Skill Check abilities do not trigger).

EDIT: And failed missions go back into the deck... ow!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tables
United Kingdom
Coventry
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Darn, ninja'd.

Another thing confirmed in the rule snippet: You can still use the original version characters. I mean this was hardly unlikely, but it's certain now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshian Grr
United States
Chelmsford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
GRRRRR!!!
badge
GRRRRRRRRR!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Rebel Basestar locations let you discard a Miracle Token or Super Crisis. This is pretty cool for Cylon Leaders, who can theoretically have both (a bit slow for them to get Super Crises - infiltrate+exfiltrate+action - but possible).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshian Grr
United States
Chelmsford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
GRRRRR!!!
badge
GRRRRRRRRR!!
mbmbmbmbmb
...Also, I wonder how the "remove a [ship type] from game" effects take the Cylon Fleet Board into account.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Filpus
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jozxyqk wrote:
Rebel Basestar locations let you discard a Miracle Token or Super Crisis. This is pretty cool for Cylon Leaders, who can theoretically have both (a bit slow for them to get Super Crises - infiltrate+exfiltrate+action - but possible).

...unless you're D'Anna. Suddenly, her OPG is more interesting than a way to fuel her drawback.

Edit: And the rules excerpt gives some hints about things we haven't seen yet. "Restore Order" is another card that affects skill checks, and Doral's weakness "Vanity" restricts his ability to play in.

And using Hoshi's OPG to one-two-three punch Tactical Plot, Captain's Cabin, Bridge is pretty cool, too. (And Athena firing off a mission whenever. The Rebel Basestar isn't in play until Cylon Civil War is resolved, so I assume their abilities can't access it until then.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshian Grr
United States
Chelmsford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
GRRRRR!!!
badge
GRRRRRRRRR!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm.. Can you play Support the People on a Mission Skill Check?

It doesn't have a direct effect on the skill check (other than making it Reckless, which is meaningless for missions since no Skill Check abilities resolve)

I'd guess "no", just for consistency's sake, but I might as well bring this question up early
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Trigiani
United States
Blairstown
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
New Baltar can steal some miracles and chill on the rebel basestar for a few turns, nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jozxyqk wrote:
Hmm.. Can you play Support the People on a Mission Skill Check?

It doesn't have a direct effect on the skill check (other than making it Reckless, which is meaningless for missions since no Skill Check abilities resolve)

I'd guess "no", just for consistency's sake, but I might as well bring this question up early
STP says "play before ... a SKILL CHECK" and it seems that, for all intents and purposes, Missions are not skill checks. Sure it LOOKS like a skill check, it SMELLS like a skill check, and it SOUNDS like a skill check, but it's not a skill check.

Probably easiest to just say "Missions are not skill checks. They behave similarly, but nothing that affects or requires a skill check can affect a mission or be played in conjunction with a mission."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jsciv wrote:
Failed missions only go back into the deck if their fail effect says to flip them over - which means the extra-distance missions go back, while the regular ones get discarded.

The complete block on all interrupts and character abilities is a little disappointing - effectively they're making the Mission skill checks something that's a lot like a skill check, but isn't one (like Super Crisis skill checks, only more so). I can kinda see why they're doing it - balancing the checks would have been hard enough without taking account of the various interrupt and check ability effects out there - and the check-affecting character abilities would also mess with balance in a big way - you'd either end up with certain characters being essential to stand a chance, or with those characters making the checks too easy...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cochran
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
rmsgrey wrote:
jsciv wrote:
Failed missions only go back into the deck if their fail effect says to flip them over - which means the extra-distance missions go back, while the regular ones get discarded.
Hmm. That rule section parses both ways because it's interrupted by the picture. I see what you're saying and you're probably right, though.

trigiani wrote:
New Baltar can steal some miracles and chill on the rebel basestar for a few turns, nice.
New Baltar is going to be hotly contested no matter what. Dude has mad skills with those tokens!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul W
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I agree that the restrictions on missions feel a bit mechanically awkward, but I also find the "back to basics" requirement appealing...I think it will increase the tension and result in more spikes, which I think is a good thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David F
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
Luck in games, in measured doses, is the catalyst which enables shocking game-changers that you'll remember and talk about forever.
badge
Let the Lord of Chaos rule.
mbmbmbmbmb
Meh for me. Longer distance to win but same distance at Sleeper Agent phase means more drawn-out games (if unsuccessful with managing Demtrius missions). I'd rather react to Crises going to Kobol instead of actively seeking out adventures. I'll definitely try, but suspect I'll drop it soon after; unlike Mutiny, which seems like a sure-fire winner.

I like that a revealed Cylon would have more options with the Cylon Basestar. But seems hard to bring it in. Human Fleet will actually be useful for Cylons to bury a harmless crisis with the help of Hybrid Tank if Caprica won't do (e.g. too many consecutive jump icons and/or harmless crises). Revealed Cylon A and B can actually tag-team, which is something they can't do besides spiking skill checks.

More ways to make use of miracle tokens. Those and Cult Baltar really make the situational/useless-OPG characters more attractive. Yay Helo, Apollo, Roslin, Tigh, both Zareks etc, boo Boomer, Adama.

I forget: why does the expansion provide 4 raptors?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshian Grr
United States
Chelmsford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
GRRRRR!!!
badge
GRRRRRRRRR!!
mbmbmbmbmb
selwyth wrote:
I believe they're "attack raptors" and will show up at least in the Cylon Attack Crises that come with the expansion; hopefully also CFB-compatible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
selwyth wrote:
Human Fleet will actually be useful for Cylons to bury a harmless crisis with the help of Hybrid Tank if Caprica won't do (e.g. too many consecutive jump icons and/or harmless crises). Revealed Cylon A and B can actually tag-team, which is something they can't do besides spiking skill checks.
How do you plan to pull this off without violating secrecy? I mean, you can have Cylon A tell Cylon B "I think it would be a very good idea for you to use the Human Fleet this turn," but that smacks of violating the spirit of the secrecy rules, even though the letter of the law is upheld.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David F
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
Luck in games, in measured doses, is the catalyst which enables shocking game-changers that you'll remember and talk about forever.
badge
Let the Lord of Chaos rule.
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting to me that there's no penalty on Tactical Plot on Demetrius. In order to scout Crisis or Destination, you had to have the card and risk a die roll. This one, you can do it twice on an XO, guaranteed. Makes it almost a given that Search for Home will come up in every Earth game, and it all rests on whether you're ready when it comes up.

The Mission card in the image below (where the 'Mission Cards' line is pointing) provides 1 distance and isn't The Search for Home! There are multiple distance-providing cards!

The image shows 8 Mission Cards.

We know all but that 1:
- The Search for Home
- The Red Stripes (heavy raiders/centurions)
- Rescue Hera (miracles/morale)
- Needs of the People (food)
- Destroy the Hub (Res Ship Hub Destroyed / pop)
- Attack on the Colony (basestars)
- Cylon Civil War (Rebel basestar)
- 1-distance provider
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Silver
United States
Lino Lakes
Minnesota
flag msg tools
C'mon You Loons!
badge
United FC! -----------The Team for Me! ---- Minnesota! ----------- L-O-V-E! -------------
mbmbmbmbmb
selwyth wrote:
They are Attack Raptors but I don't think FFG has yet revealed their purpose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul W
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
InfoCynic wrote:
selwyth wrote:
Human Fleet will actually be useful for Cylons to bury a harmless crisis with the help of Hybrid Tank if Caprica won't do (e.g. too many consecutive jump icons and/or harmless crises). Revealed Cylon A and B can actually tag-team, which is something they can't do besides spiking skill checks.
How do you plan to pull this off without violating secrecy? I mean, you can have Cylon A tell Cylon B "I think it would be a very good idea for you to use the Human Fleet this turn," but that smacks of violating the spirit of the secrecy rules, even though the letter of the law is upheld.
I think that'd be fine...you *are* allowed to describe things you've seen in "good/bad" terms, so I don't think advising someone to use human fleet or launch scout because "we don't want what's coming" would violate the letter or the spirit of the secrecy rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul W
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
To nitpick a little, they're referred to as "Assault Raptors". Still no information on what they're for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cochran
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
selwyth wrote:
Meh for me. Longer distance to win but same distance at Sleeper Agent phase means more drawn-out games (if unsuccessful with managing Demtrius missions). I'd rather react to Crises going to Kobol instead of actively seeking out adventures. I'll definitely try, but suspect I'll drop it soon after; unlike Mutiny, which seems like a sure-fire winner.
Our group is very happy with Ionian Nebula, so even if Earth doesn't take I think that the Mutiny, new Agendas for leaders, new cards, and miracle tokens will give us plenty of entertainment.

That said, if there are repeatable 1- and 2- distance missions in that deck I expect the humans will be able to reliably get extra distance somewhere in there: just XO someone on Tactical Plot and dig away. There's going to be a weird secrecy case going on once people start to memorize the missions and the human team tries to get the right colors for distance, but I suppose that's unavoidable upon repeated plays (and mitigated somewhat by the extra distance and the Captain's Cabin).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hurd
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
selwyth wrote:
Interesting to me that there's no penalty on Tactical Plot on Demetrius. In order to scout Crisis or Destination, you had to have the card and risk a die roll. This one, you can do it twice on an XO, guaranteed. Makes it almost a given that Search for Home will come up in every Earth game, and it all rests on whether you're ready when it comes up.
I feel like you explained your own comment. There's no roll/ "penalty" because you don't GET anything. You still have to pass the mission.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hurd
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My gut reaction is that this option is completely unbalanced by Captain's Cabin. I'm going to have to see it put into practice, but I can't see how an XO generating 10 cards doesn't completely overcome any distance additions, just by itself.

It creates the potential that every normal crisis skill check should be solo-able. It also has an innate cylon detector built in, in that you should always be giving away your turn if other people are handing you green cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul W
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
hybridfive wrote:
My gut reaction is that this option is completely unbalanced by Captain's Cabin. I'm going to have to see it put into practice, but I can't see how an XO generating 10 cards doesn't completely overcome any distance additions, just by itself.

It creates the potential that every normal crisis skill check should be solo-able. It also has an innate cylon detector built in, in that you should always be giving away your turn if other people are handing you green cards.
In a 5 player, from each activation 3 cards are going to humans and 2 cards are going to cylons. It may be easier to discover who the Cylons are doing that, but then what?

I also find that the CFB significantly reduces the power of cards drawing strategies...there simply isn't the time to do a ton of that.

Finally, with all the cards in the skill decks, drawing XOs is not trivial.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   |