Recommend
14 
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

No Retreat! The Russian Front» Forums » Sessions

Subject: No Retreat ! The Russian Front Solo System tryout rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gary Barr
United Kingdom
Ballyclare N.Ireland
Co Antrim
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb


Obtained the solitaire variant for No Retreat in the excellent Ci3 magazine (Issue 26) and decided to give it a trial today.
Took a bit of getting used to but I found it a nice system especially the 'switcheroo' aspect wherein if the side you are controlling is close to a Sudden Death victory situation there is every likelihood that the Solo cards will force you to change the side you control !!
The mandatory orders for the 'AI' side are fairly reasonable with couple of choices although if you really hate yourself you can cheat a bit. The Stalin chit and the Stavka/OKH orders can be used in a 2 player game and are very like similar rules in Barbarossa To Berlin.
Very enjoyable with a game I like but have neglected of late.
Nice variant to use rather than usual solo player 'split personality syndrome' style.









16 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thnaks for the mini-review!

I did not know that my leader/orders counters were similar to some in "Barbarossa to Berlin", I will definitively pull that game out of my game shelves to see what it was all about in the next few days.

P.S: cheating against yourself is definitely warranted if it raises your play enjoyment.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Helmut Apel
Germany
Darmstadt
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this Solo-Expansion any different from the "No Retreat! Solitaire expansion kit" by Victory Point Games?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TylerDax wrote:
Is this Solo-Expansion any different from the "No Retreat! Solitaire expansion kit" by Victory Point Games?


No, it's the same.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Barr
United Kingdom
Ballyclare N.Ireland
Co Antrim
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi

TylerDax wrote:
Is this Solo-Expansion any different from the "No Retreat! Solitaire expansion kit" by Victory Point Games?


The same just better quality GMT counters.
I have the VPG kit as well.
You can see the VPG CRTs beside GMT OP Parameters sheets in pics (I have laminated both)

Cheers
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Barr
United Kingdom
Ballyclare N.Ireland
Co Antrim
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
licinius wrote:
Thnaks for the mini-review!

I did not know that my leader/orders counters were similar to some in "Barbarossa to Berlin", I will definitively pull that game out of my game shelves to see what it was all about in the next few days.

P.S: cheating against yourself is definitely warranted if it raises your play enjoyment.


Similar but not the same. Loss of 'Uncle Joe' is a tad more severe in BTB as several card options unplayable without him and Soviet Repleacements reduced. Similar displacement from Moscow possible. BTB has Mandatory Orders (that you roll for each turn) with both Adolf and Joe possibly enforcing their will.

Cheers
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, this looks better than any pictures I've seen.

Why, I ask, have you decided torture me with beauty that I cannot have? Do not tease me with that which is out of print!!!!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
asmodeos wrote:
Wow, this looks better than any pictures I've seen.

Why, I ask, have you decided torture me with beauty that I cannot have? Do not tease me with that which is out of print!!!!


There is quite a few new copies available on the BGG marketplace. One just was listed for a mere $35!!! So no excuses!!!

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geekstore.php3?action=viewitem&...

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geekstore.php3?action=viewitem&...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What questions do I need to ask when making an offer on the GMT version? Do they all include this solitaire expansion?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
asmodeos wrote:
What questions do I need to ask when making an offer on the GMT version? Do they all include this solitaire expansion?


The expansion was offered as a free "print and play" download from Victory Point Games when you buy the game. So no copies includes it fully (12 event cards and 4 pages of rules), but the counters are included.

If you do not like printing stuff, you can get the kit for a very small amount ($8.85) directly from VPG here:

http://victorypointgames.com/details.php?prodId=157&category...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well you know what, I was all ready to make an offer on this game. Then I thought, okay, I'm going to spend $50 on a game. Is this the one I really want?? I checked my want to buy, and saw Liberty Roads. For $44 from NWS-Online, it completely stole my attention. Purchased.

No Retreat! will have to wait.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
asmodeos wrote:
Well you know what, I was all ready to make an offer on this game. Then I thought, okay, I'm going to spend $50 on a game. Is this the one I really want?? I checked my want to buy, and saw Liberty Roads. For $44 from NWS-Online, it completely stole my attention. Purchased.

No Retreat! will have to wait.


Liberty Roads is a GREAT game. I did the English rules translation for it.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Hill
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sgt Steiner wrote:
...The mandatory orders for the 'AI' side are fairly reasonable with couple of choices although if you really hate yourself you can cheat a bit....

I enjoy the cards and the card-driven orders. I found the operational orders difficult. The second line is about never abandoning a city hex to the enemy. Early in the game, this makes the Russian play very aggressive (at least from my point of view). It is technically possible to defend Minsk, but it is rarely a good idea. Since this priority is higher (#2) than having a continuous line (#3), this can exacerbate the risk, as it is easier to get surrounded that far forward.

Next time, I may try reversing the two, so that continuous line comes before defending the forward-most city. Not sure that will help, but worth trying.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.