Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
My girlfriend is a big Star Wars fan but she hates card games. She plays just about every other board game I own but for some reason she doesn't like them. I can relate a little as I am not a huge fan of deck building.

So with that being said, could this game change our opinions? It seems the deck building aspect is easier but how hard is the game to learn? Can we get enough enjoyment from a core set and couple expansions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacovis
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly, if you guys get one Core set, there is a lot there to last you for quite a while. Plus it would give you both time to get to know the game's mechanics. After that, if you guys really want to play it more, then go ahead and invest in the expansions one at a time to give yourselves time to get to know the new cards.

The important thing with this game is that you will both need to switch off playing the Light and Dark sides, preferably one game as each side, when you play. This is because for many new players the Dark side (which has a built in countdown mechanic) or the Light side (because of really good card draws) can seem too powerful. Playing both sides will make sure that your wife (and maybe you) don't become jaded against an awesome game just because your side (light or dark) had trouble winning.

Anyway, my wife really enjoys this game with me, and what we do is I build the decks, and she just decides which faction to play. This means she doesn't have to worry about the deck building, and if she ever wants to play a certain kind of deck she tells me (she loves Yoda, so she likes Jedi decks) and I build that kind of deck for her. You can probably do the same thing

Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dmitry Vensko
Belarus
Minsk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It could

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Micheal Keane
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Pictured: Rags Raggerson, successful businesscat
mb
If you're not looking to be super competitive, you can just grab a random assortment 10 pods for a faction you like and build a deck from those. It's really hard to build a staight-up unplayable deck because the pods usually have 1 strong character and 4 cards to support that character's (and objective's) abilities. You won't end up with a deck full of nothing but enhancements or anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jacovis wrote:
Honestly, if you guys get one Core set, there is a lot there to last you for quite a while. Plus it would give you both time to get to know the game's mechanics. After that, if you guys really want to play it more, then go ahead and invest in the expansions one at a time to give yourselves time to get to know the new cards.

The important thing with this game is that you will both need to switch off playing the Light and Dark sides, preferably one game as each side, when you play. This is because for many new players the Dark side (which has a built in countdown mechanic) or the Light side (because of really good card draws) can seem too powerful. Playing both sides will make sure that your wife (and maybe you) don't become jaded against an awesome game just because your side (light or dark) had trouble winning.

Anyway, my wife really enjoys this game with me, and what we do is I build the decks, and she just decides which faction to play. This means she doesn't have to worry about the deck building, and if she ever wants to play a certain kind of deck she tells me (she loves Yoda, so she likes Jedi decks) and I build that kind of deck for her. You can probably do the same thing

Good luck!

How easy is deck building in the game? Are the rules and strategies easy to pick up and teach?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacovis
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules are pretty straight forward. As with any game, there are a lot of intricacies that come up during play, but they all fall into place pretty clearly. Once you play three games or so you will understand the timing, and everything else is printed on the cards so it's not that difficult.

As for deck building, it doesn't get any easier. As mentioned above, you can just shuffle all the locations for one faction together and draw ten of them to form a deck from those pods. As for normal deckbuilding, all you have to do is select the "groups" of cards you want, and most groups of cards feature a character or theme, so you can just look for those and form decks based on themes, etc. It's really quite simple.

As for playing from the beginning with just one core set, you'l have four different decks to choose from, 2 of each light and dark, right out of the box and there is a lot of replay value there.

I honestly am glad I bought two core sets, though, because that way I can create more interesting random decks (by shuffling the Location cards and picking 10, then using those card groups).

I'd recommend you read the rules and play out a few hands on your own at least once before playing with the wife (to avoid confusion once you get her to play and possibly pushing her away). It's pretty slick, and I think you'll both have fun.

Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M N
Canada
Truro
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
[q="LunarSoundDesign
How easy is deck building in the game? Are the rules and strategies easy to pick up and teach?[/q]

Deckbuilding is super easy. Pick 10 sets and you're done.

Game is very easy to pick up, plays fast as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the feedback. I may be getting the game in the math trade and it comes with 2 core sets and the three expansion packs. What is the benefit of two core sets?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Anthes
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
Thanks for the feedback. I may be getting the game in the math trade and it comes with 2 core sets and the three expansion packs. What is the benefit of two core sets?
Personally, I think two core sets is far better than any of the expansions. Once you play a few times, you're going to discover a few cards that are your favorites, and you're going to want them to show up more often. That means using two of the same objective set, which requires a second core set. The expansions all come with two of each objective set (the max you can use), so there's no need to get duplicates of those. But I think most of the expansions work best when added to one or two strong core objectives (for which you'll want to include two or they'll get diluted).

As for building the random objective decks - I really don't understand that. I guess it can be fun to see what you can do with what you're delt, but it certainly trades away a large bit of strategy that comes selectively choosing your objective sets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game is intimidating to learn, since it seems like there are a lot of things to do/remember, however after you play it once, what seems like fiddly mechanics just fits so perfectly with both game and theme, that you can't think of any better way to play it.

Watch the various tutorial videos, and you'll get it/love it.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
The game is intimidating to learn, since it seems like there are a lot of things to do/remember, however after you play it once, what seems like fiddly mechanics just fits so perfectly with both game and theme, that you can't think of any better way to play it.

-shnar
It's one thing learning the fundamental rules but how hard are the strategies to pick up?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
When you get into constructing your own decks, for most objective sets, you are allowed to include two copies. It helps to create a deck with a particular strategy or theme when you are allowed additional copies of key cards.

With the exception of the neutral sets, the core box comes with only one of each objective set.

soulcamp wrote:
The expansions all come with two of each objective set (the max you can use)
To clarify, you get two of each except for for those objective sets that are marked "one per deck" (which you get one of).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Anderson
United States
Sewell
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
shnar wrote:

-shnar
It's one thing learning the fundamental rules but how hard are the strategies to pick up?
I don't think they are too difficult to pick up. If you have played other card games, you'll pick them up quite quickly. Powerful attack units, unit destroying, card control, draw/discard, etc.

There are strategies that are unique to this game, like controlling the edge or force battles, but you'll pick those up very quickly once you learn the rules and play a couple games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Owen Compton
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know if this has been mentioned yet but, just so you know, if you own the expansions then all the expansions (except the upcoming deluxe 'Edge of Darkness') come with 2 copies of their objective sets so you don't have to buy more than one of each expansion.* So your decks can have 2 copies of those objectives if you want.

* The exception to this is any objective set that is listed on the card as limited to a single inclusion in your deck - in those instances then there is only one copy of those in the expansion, because, for a single player that doesn't build decks for many people at once, there's no reason to own a second copy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just pretend neither one of us are familiar with card games, we only play board and video games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As for strategies, I think it depends on who you play with. If it's another neophyte, then you'll both be learning different things together. I can remember when both me and my son were so surprised at how effective Boba Fett is, since the 6+ games we'd playe prior to that, we had never done any capturing.

In general though, it's not hard to pick up and be good at. I like this game quite a lot (and I hate card games), so I think you will too.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Anthes
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
As for strategies, I think it depends on who you play with. If it's another neophyte, then you'll both be learning different things together. I can remember when both me and my son were so surprised at how effective Boba Fett is, since the 6+ games we'd playe prior to that, we had never done any capturing.

In general though, it's not hard to pick up and be good at. I like this game quite a lot (and I hate card games), so I think you will too.

-shnar
If you're playing against more seasoned opponents, you can expect to get "schooled" more often than not. But since you're mostly going to be playing against your wife (at least at first), you're both going to improve your strategies on a relatively even pace. That makes it quite a bit of fun.

(Right now, my son has taken me down the last few games as the LS. But I have a feeling the DS will have a few new tricks up it's sleeve for our next encounter. ).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauli Vinni
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing about two core set is simply put that I wanted to see Dart Wader more often in the game so the second core set allowed me to put second one in the deck. After that I managed to play Dart Wader allmost in every game I played, compared to 1/3 with one core set... Iconic characters are iconic ;-)
I think that if cards are in good order you can make a deck in less than 5 minutes in this game, even if you plan and look those "pods" during that construction. If you just pick those in semi ramdom way, it will take even less time to do it...
Making really good combos and eliminating all the weak points can take considerable amount of time, but that is just a good thing if you really are going to tinker your decks. As someone said it is guite hard to make a really bad deck in this game even if you don't know anything about card games and wise versa, it is not so easy to make "a ultimate" winning deck either! It keep the balance of power somewhat in order. Ofcourse the more there are expansion involved, the bigger edge experienced player will get. But the deckbuilding will not become more difficult with expansions, it just allow more room to tinker the deck effiency for those who like to do it.
The only thing that can go wrong is to include too many factions in one deck and be in situation where there are cards in you hand that can not be played because resourses does not match, but even those can be put in edge battle so soon you will have cards that match you resource pool. So there is not actuall card lock like in many other card games. If you are not familiar with card games and this all sound a gibberish, don't worry. This game does allmost completely avoid that problem, so it is very suitable to card game novices. The problem with card games is that there are a lot of game effects in cards and it may not be easy to use all those features that the card actyally allows you to do. For average english speaking person this normally is not a problem, but if english is not you native language, or if the player is very young, the card game may be a little bit too much to handle without help.
But this is definetely one of those easiest to start with. I played with my sisters 11 years of son. (He has been learning english in the school 3 to 4 years now). He managet to get a good grip with this game, allthough he used some cards suboptimal, but for comparison I am a competite level card player, so the comparison is not guite fair :-)
So I would say that he could play the game with his own friends guite fine even if not been able to get every card played in the most optimal manner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kevin sayers
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
wow, your wall of text is immense....

anyways, pick up the core set. it comes with beginner 4 decks (2 DS and 2 LS) and even a few extra neutral sets you can start to play around with.

You will know after half a dozen games if your GF and you are into the game and if it will be worth purchasing the force packs and the soon-to-be-released deluxe expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schwarz
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
Just pretend neither one of us are familiar with card games, we only play board and video games.
Most card games move off of tactical maneuvering in favor of timing, and sequence of play. So, instead of focusing on outmaneuvering your opponent, you need to focus on the resources you have access to, that your opponent does not know about, and maximizing them.

With most CCGs, there are some basic win conditions, usually, these involve depleting your opponent's resources without completely depleting yours at the same time. So, for the most part, you're actually looking at resource games.

Weenie decks focus on producing large numbers of weak units, and overwhelming your opponent's defenses.

The alternate version is heavy unit decks, in the case of Star Wars this is mostly Star Destroyers and other capital ships, as well as a handful of the main characters.

Milling decks focus on forcing your opponent to draw cards depleting their deck. In many games (Star Wars included) this is actually a win condition.

Control decks focus on keeping your opponents units off the table or locking them down so they can't act. In some games it extends further to mean decks that outright prevent your opponent from playing cards at all.

Theme decks are ones that focus on a specific narrative or aesthetic concept. Most of the time, theme decks are considered less effective for competitive play. However, theme decks can be a lot of fun for casual play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schwarz
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:

How easy is deck building in the game? Are the rules and strategies easy to pick up and teach?
Very.

You start by picking an Affiliation card, they are Jedi, Rebel Alliance, Smugglers and Spies, Sith, Imperial Navy, or Scum and Villainy.

You then pick at least ten objectives. You cannot pick an objective from the other side of the force, (so, no dark side objectives if you're playing light side, and vice versa). (You can simply glance at the back of your affiliation card if there's somehow some confusion on this, Blue is Light, Red is Dark.)

You cannot include more than two copies of any single objective.

You cannot include any objective which is marked as "(?) Affiliation Only" unless it matches your affiliation card.

You cannot include multiple copies of an Objective that is marked as "Limit one per Objective Deck".

...and, that's it. Basically.

There is one other critical element though. When you pick an objective, you automatically select five other cards. The objective goes into your objective deck, and the five other cards go into your draw deck. They will always be the same five cards for an objective.

So, if you pick "A Hero's Journey", you will always add Luke Skywalker, Twi'lek Loyalist, Jedi Lightsaber, Trust Your Feelings, and Dagobah Training Grounds.

If you pick "Imperial Command", you will always add Admiral Motti, Duty Officer, two copies of Heavy Stormtrooper Squad, and Orbital Bombardment.

It takes a little time to clean up and rework a deck, because you have to rebuild the pods you're taking out, but it does make for some of the simplest deck building I've ever seen in a CCG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls