Popular Tags: [View All]
Craig McRoberts
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Or maybe I didn't do anything wrong. I don't know.

I just finished up playing my first session ever of this game, going directly by the solo rules from the rulebook. And I won easily, without much of a fight.

My setup was as follows.

Mastermind: Loki
Scheme: Midtown Bank Robbery
Henchmen: Enemies of Asgard
Minions: Hand Ninjas
Heroes: Emma Frost, Gambit, Thor

I wish I could give a detailed breakdown, but I'm really not good at those. Also, I wasn't really expecting that I'd be jumping on here and asking this question.

It just seemed ridiculously easy. I ended the game by having enough attack in one round to defeat two villains and attack the mastermind three times. I had one wound in my discard pile, and stacks of bystanders and villains in my victory pile.

My immediate thought was, "I'm a n00b who learned this by reading the rulebook. I must have missed something or did something wrong." Are there any rookie mistakes I may have made? Did I luck into the perfect storm of easy with my setup?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My one solo play using the official rules was also a very easy win. The VR Solo Variant is much more interesting. I'm pretty sure I got the rules right, since I had played multi-player previously, and have read the forums a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacovis
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The solitaire game becomes less about winning and more about beating my previous scores for me. When you keep score, it gives you something to shoot for and also turns the solitaire game into a kind of push your luck situation. I find myself thinking "I could defeat the Mastermind right now, but if I beat a couple more villains I can beat my last score" and so on.

That being said, the game comes with a ton of ways to customize your challenge, so use them! For example, I tend to add +2 to the Mastermind's Power when I play solo now, (except for Apocalypse... CURSE YOU APOCALYPSE!!!!) just to see if I can beat them.

So the game is "easy", but it comes with official variants to provide a lot of different ways to make it harder without changing the game components or anything like that. Keep playing around with those optional rules, but I'd play with each of the Masterminds as written at least once before you start playing around with them.

Enjoy! I love playing this game solo!

Cheers,

Jacovis
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig McRoberts
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That makes sense. If I think of it less as a "how can I win?" situation and more as a "how well can I win?" challenge, it definitely becomes more enjoyable. I really like how the game flows. It's going to get a lot more play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Olivier
Canada
Abbotsford
bc
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
imprimis5 wrote:
That makes sense. If I think of it less as a "how can I win?" situation and more as a "how well can I win?" challenge, it definitely becomes more enjoyable. I really like how the game flows. It's going to get a lot more play.

pick up the new expansion. many of the schemes and masterminds will bring you back to "can i ever win?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig McRoberts
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: getting the expansion.

I'm going to have to get a few more plays with the base game before I can justify expanding it. I don't play solo games very often (usually because that's my game design time), and I haven't tested it with my friends yet. If it goes over like I think it will, though, the expansion will jump much higher on my to-get list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R N
msg tools
mb
Try the Advanced Solo Mode (This is from the Dark City Expansion but can be used mostly with the Base Game too).
http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/91659/dark-city-rule-sheet

Stryfe and Mr. Sinister rely on their Master Strikes to reach their full power. To include the full number of Master Strikes, you can
use Advanced Solo Mode for any Mastermind and Scheme. It is the same as the Original Solo Mode from the Legendary™ rulebook, with these adjustments:
• During setup, include all 5 Master Strikes.
• Whenever you complete a Master Strike, play another card from the Villain Deck.
• When a Villain or Mastermind Tactic tells “each other player” to do something, do it yourself.
• Whenever you complete a Scheme Twist, instead of KO’ing a Hero from the HQ of cost 6 or less, put that Hero on the bottom of the Hero Deck.

That final point is key for playing some Dark City Schemes solo, so that they don’t end too quickly.

These are the same Rules used for the BGG Season 1 Legendary that we're doing. We already started it and it's too late to join, but you could play along and compare your scores to ours.
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/991875/legendary-online-leag...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bohm
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
imprimis5 wrote:
I ended the game by having enough attack in one round to defeat two villains and attack the mastermind three times.

This is the part I would be leery about. That's 30 something attack. I know Thor is OP but Gambit and Emma aren't exactly powerhouses. If you could remember that one turn it might help as it's possible you did something odd in the sequence of events. Not saying it's impossible to get this high a hit, just unlikely with these heroes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig McRoberts
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Never Knows Best wrote:
imprimis5 wrote:
I ended the game by having enough attack in one round to defeat two villains and attack the mastermind three times.

This is the part I would be leery about. That's 30 something attack. I know Thor is OP but Gambit and Emma aren't exactly powerhouses. If you could remember that one turn it might help as it's possible you did something odd in the sequence of events. Not saying it's impossible to get this high a hit, just unlikely with these heroes.

I don't have the cards in front of me at the moment, but I had the Thor card that allowed me to spend Recruit points as Attack and the Emma Frost card that gave Recruit points every time I defeated a Villain or a Mastermind card. Combined with a couple Enchantresses that were allowing extra card draws, I was able to build up a huge array in one round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Give this a try...

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/913835/the-variant-revie...

I enjoy it enough that I play a game almost nightly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Campbell
United States
Lake Worth
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing to pay attention to is the order you play cards matters. If a card has an effect if you play a X type card, that only happens if you played the card prior to the effect. That was thing I missed on my frst play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.