GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,567 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
13 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
3 Posts

Seasons: Enchanted Kingdom» Forums » Rules

Subject: Question about Raven the Usurper combined with Hand of Fortune rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Kratz
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In a game of Seasons last night, my wife used Raven the Usurper to copy my Crystal Orb. However, she also had the Hand of Fortune in play.

When you play the Raven, you select an opponents card to copy, then pay the cost of the copied card. The question is, does the copied card get discounted by one energy due to the Hand of Fortune?

We played that it did not (and one energy difference at this point would not have affected the outcome of the game), but I could see either way (Oddly enough, she wanted to pay the full cost, and I told her to take the discount)

No: You aren't actually playing the card -> You don't get the discount.
Yes: The cost of the card (what you would pay to summon it) is one less energy. Since you pay the cost of the card, you get the discount.

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Edelen
United States
Mount Orab
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would have treated the usurping of that card like any other paid summons. In other words, one fewer energy.

When in doubt, go for the outcome that favors the player. If this is applied uniformly, nothing breaks and everyone is treated equally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Andrew
Indonesia
Bandung
Jawa Barat
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i think your wife is right. in the clarification part of the rulebook, usually card with effect "when you summon a card" only affect cards that comes directly from your hand.

so Raven cost should be reduced (but it cannot be reduced below 1 energy so nothing happen, unless you're playing with Nature Spirit enchantment) then pay the cost of the copied card in full, because paying the cost come from Raven effect and Hand of Fortune doesnt affect another power card ability

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.