Subject: Team Card Games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Giro
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
I am looking for some good card games that will play 2 against 2 as teams. Not standard card games like Spades but some themed card games. Team variants that have been playtested or team right out of the box. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Not themed, but go try Tichu if you haven't already.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Giro
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
Tichu sounds like Gang of Four.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Carlton
United States
Webster
NY
flag msg tools
Stop Mousing over me! :P
badge
Other movies available :P
mbmbmbmbmb
This isn't really themed either, but there is a classic card game called "Hand and Foot".. It's really a canasta variant...

It scales well too, playing 4,6, or even 8 people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
giroml wrote:

Though I've never played Gang of Four, I've heard it referred to as 'Tichu-lite'

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Washington
United States
Unspecified
New York
flag msg tools
giroml wrote:
I am looking for some good card games that will play 2 against 2 as teams. Not standard card games like Spades but some themed card games. Team variants that have been playtested or team right out of the box. Thanks.

EN GARDE! and KUNG FU FIGHTING aren't specifically designed as team games, but could easily be played that way. The 1st is basically a swashbuckling swordfight card game, the other is the Martial Arts Movie Fight Scene game it sounds like from the name.

Both games are normally "free-for-all", anyone can attack anyone else they please, so playing either as teams should be as simple as teammates not attacking each other...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Salinas
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:
giroml wrote:

Though I've never played Gang of Four, I've heard it referred to as 'Tichu-lite'

No, Go4 is Tichu for dummies. or more accurately Tichu with most of skill elements removed.

The basic problem is the scoring system: In Tichu you are always under pressure to get rid of ALL your cards (espcially when you call Tichu--but it also helps when you don't.)

In Go4 you score penalty points for how many cards you have left--like Hearts, the lowest score wins when someone goes over 100. Here is the scoring chart for 1 to 16 cards left:

cards left: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

If you are able get rid of half your cards, you'll only take a single digit penalty, an acceptable loss. But if you can get absolutely hammered if you can't many cards--especially if you can't get play any at all. AND HERE'S THE KICKER: But that happens almost entirely to having a hand where you aren't able to play do anything about it--i.e. bad luck.

This means devolves to simply play whenever you can, don't worry about the loose singles, they won't hurt you anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Van Biesbrouck
Canada
St Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Mystery Rummy games are often for teams.

Victory & Honor
Twilight / Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde
Four Dragons / Dia de los Muertos
Fairy Tale

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Ross
Canada
North Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are some themed partnership card games:
Control Nut!
Dia de los Muertos (Four Dragons)
Victory & Honor
Mystery Rummy: Al Capone and the Chicago Underworld

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You might try Victory & Honor from Jolly Roger Games; currently, it's my favorite trick-taking partnership game. It has a Civil War theme and is unique in that you're contesting 3 tricks at a time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Blumer
United States
Oshkosh
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a team version of Lost Cities. It uses two decks and the team mates build on the same expiditions. I have never played it, but it looked interesting. The difference between regular Lost Cities and teams is the players have the added option of passing cards to their partners.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Naval Battles, a naval combat card game by Phalanx, can be played by teams (one Axis, the other, Allies).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Washington
United States
Unspecified
New York
flag msg tools
Well, just to be clear, for better or worse, EN GARDE! and KUNG FU FIGHTING are not trick taking games with themes. You play Attack cards (Kick, Punch, Lunge) on an enemy, which either get defended with Block cards (Block Punch, Block Kick, Parry) or do damage to your opponent's Life points (actually, "Poise" and "Chi").

I like KUNG FU FIGHTING because you can potentially do a Flying, Spinning, Jumping, Magnificent, Invincible Running Up The Wall Kick, just like Jet Li (or Chuck Norris!), and I like EN GARDE! because it really feels like a sword duel, with people parrying and counterstriking and surprising each other with Fancy Moves all over the place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Boyes
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can recommend the team version of Lost Cities. It was a lot of fun,the passing cards is a neat element. It adds a communication element to the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
frank schaubrenner
Germany
VS- Villingen
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
hi,
some without theme but imho all good Games

fixed Partnerships you´ll find on
MUS - it´s a traditional spanish Card game
rules
http://www.pagat.com//vying/mus.html
its a mixture of bluff and bidding, and nonverbal Communication in Partnership.
BBG link
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/6866

fixed Partnership for 1 Card Round
Frank´s Zoo (playable 3-7 pl.)
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/340
--with theme

Partnership you´ll find not before game
Mü & Mehr
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/152
but best way to play with 5 players, but ok for 4

Partnership can happen in
Meuterer
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/902
--with theme

changing Partnership you´ll find in
Verräter
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/72
--with theme

greets
Pucky

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Van Biesbrouck
Canada
St Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pucky mentioned a lot of great games, but I don't think that they satisfy the initial request. If you have two decks, you can play Canal Grande (the San Marco card game) with partnerships.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nate ben-porat
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
giroml wrote:

dosn't have a theme but taboo is a great game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.