Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rafał Kruczek
Poland
Legnica
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is anything known, whenever cards for Alien Orb will have the same size as rest , or will have another size : smaller or square?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacovis
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It has been quite a while, but I seem to recall Tom Lehmann saying the Alien Orb cards will be smaller cards to save table space. As I said, it's been too long for me to dig back and try to find the comment, but that's what I've remembered.

Edit: See Tom's response below!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serge
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jacovis wrote:
I seem to recall Tom Lehmann saying the Alien Orb cards will be smaller cards to save table space.
I don't recall ever hearing that, but i could be wrong. I always assumed they'd be the same size as normal cards, but that's just speculation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
U.S.A., Earth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
entranced wrote:
Jacovis wrote:
I seem to recall Tom Lehmann saying the Alien Orb cards will be smaller cards to save table space.
I don't recall ever hearing that, but i could be wrong. I always assumed they'd be the same size as normal cards, but that's just speculation.
Hmmm, I'd rather not have to buy another set of sleeves just for those. AFAIK, the orb scenario sounds like another player with his own tableau, so at worst, a "6p table" should still suffice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendon Russell
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
entranced wrote:
Jacovis wrote:
Hmmm, I'd rather not have to buy another set of sleeves just for those.
If you're sleeving them you'll need extra sleeves, no matter what size they are. I guess it's more likely you may have spare standard size sleeves already lying around - I presume that's what you meant?

My assumption is the opposite of Serge's (but equally speculative): I've always thought that the Orb cards would probably be smaller, for table space reasons and because they'll probably require less information on each card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
U.S.A., Earth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scwont wrote:
ackmondual wrote:
entranced wrote:
Jacovis wrote:
Hmmm, I'd rather not have to buy another set of sleeves just for those.
If you're sleeving them you'll need extra sleeves, no matter what size they are. I guess it's more likely you may have spare standard size sleeves already lying around - I presume that's what you meant?

My assumption is the opposite of Serge's (but equally speculative): I've always thought that the Orb cards would probably be smaller, for table space reasons and because they'll probably require less information on each card.
I have spare sleeves lying around. There's some overlaps with other games and potential games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
The orb card size is the same as the normal RFTG card size.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric S.
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the clarification, Tom.
- End of Line
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacovis
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And once again, I was wrong. But more importantly Tom continues to be present and available for even the simplest questions about his games!

Thanks Tom!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wei-Hwa Huang
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, based on my experiences with the prototype, it's worth mentioning that if you sleeve the Alien Orb cards, this will make them all more slippery and they may not work for their intended purpose very well. The Alien Orb cards don't get handled as much as the normal game cards, so it might be wise to forgo the sleeves unless you really expect to play the game very heavily.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafał Kruczek
Poland
Legnica
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
onigame wrote:
Also, based on my experiences with the prototype, it's worth mentioning that if you sleeve the Alien Orb cards, this will make them all more slippery and they may not work for their intended purpose very well.
What is this mysterious purpose? It is the Alien Orb or Chaos orb?http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiver...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
There's nothing mysterious about this: the orb is gradually explored over time and cards are laid down overlapping either their edges slightly or larger portions of the cards when building the orb. Sleeves, by extending beyond the card's bleed edges, can make this process slightly awkward.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd McCorkle
United States
Anderson
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
onigame wrote:
... unless you really expect to play the game very heavily.
What's the definition of "very heavily" here? 100 games? 1000?

You do know how addicted some of us are right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
kusinohki wrote:
That depends entirely on your own definition of acceptable wear and how hard your group is on cards. The orb cards are of the same quality as the RFTG play cards.

As to how often a given group will play the Orb game, that is up to you. For some groups, I would expect it to be only a "change of pace" type of thing, while for others it might become their preferred format.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So much teasing! cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bolton
England
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
nothing to see here, move along
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kusinohki wrote:
onigame wrote:
... unless you really expect to play the game very heavily.

You do know how addicted some of us are right?
I'll be sleeving, as it will get played heavily. Cards from original set i played showed significant wear after a few months of play.

Set I sleeved are still fine after a few years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serge
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We've taken it to the next level. My sleeved copy has gotten so much play that the sleeves are extremely worn and very dirty. Might be time for a new set of sleeves!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafał Kruczek
Poland
Legnica
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Size of Alien Orb/?Archive? cards.
Tom Lehmann wrote:
There's nothing mysterious about this: the orb is gradually explored over time and cards are laid down overlapping either their edges slightly or larger portions of the cards when building the orb. Sleeves, by extending beyond the card's bleed edges, can make this process slightly awkward.
I see it now
http://wydawnictwo.rebel.pl/e4u.php/6,ModProducts/ShowImage/...

So Alien Orb was renamed to Alien Archive, or it is only Polish translation?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lukasz Pogoda
Poland
Warszawa
Mazowieckie
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As all the the speakers above used "Orb", I suppose the translation slightly bends Polish name toward its function.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
rafal100 wrote:
Huh? The name of the expansion, in English, is Alien Artifacts, which is what I believe "Artefakty Obcych" translates to (not Alien Archive).

It contains both starts worlds and play cards that can be added to the normal game, plus an Orb scenario, in which players explore the Alien Orb.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafał Kruczek
Poland
Legnica
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom Lehmann wrote:
rafal100 wrote:
Huh? The name of the expansion, in English, is Alien Artifacts, which is what I believe "Artefakty Obcych" translates to (not Alien Archive).
It isn't the name of expansion that is undirectly translated. Alien Orb on Polish publisher site (in the game desription and the back of box) was called "Archiwum Obcych" which means "Alien Archive". I was wondering whenever it was choice of Polish translator or "Alien Orb" was only temporary name.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Artur Jedliński
Poland
Gdansk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The name was changed in translation, on purpose -- "orb" is very nice word in English, but it sounds really bad in Polish. I believe "Archiwum" feels right, after reading the rules, the word has its "weight" in Polish, in contrast to "sfera" or "kula". English language is also much more flexible in matter of creating new expressions - like "orb stack", "orb game", "orb cards", etc. - it's not really possible in Polish, that's why we needed slightly different solution.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lukasz Pogoda
Poland
Warszawa
Mazowieckie
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes… You're right. "Spherical stack" or "spherical cards" sounds stupid
Of course it could be called "stos Sfery" ("Sphere stack") but it sounds utterly bad and there are too many "s".

Have nothing against the change.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls