Subject: The Rancor rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gamer 257
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
My son and I just started playing (my 2 core sets came the other day). We have a question regarding The Rancor card. Once the Rancor becomes the lowest cost character/creature on the battlefield, does it destroy itself?
We said yes, taking the rule literally. Is this correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacovis
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep. Sooner or later the Rancor eats even itself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Armstrong
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like to think that it starves to death.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antares CD
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Or it runs away in search of food.

Back on topic, if there is meant to be a targetting restriction on a card's ability, it will state it. You'll have less rule issues if you reference the framework/action window chart in the back of the rulebook and read cards literally. That won't get everything, but it will help a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
It's a pretty terrible card, unless you're in a weird meta where Jedi weenie decks are all the rage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Brennan
Australia
St Ives, Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly B
Finland
Vantaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PBrennan wrote:
But fun.
Yeah. It's always amusing when some tournament junkie comes into a thread assuming that it was created by someone who cares at all about tournaments particularly when the OP is clearly just playing the game for fun with their kid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gamer 257
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for the replies guys! It's much appreciated! This game is fantastic! Every day when I get home from work, my son is asking me if I have time to sit down and play a game. We're getting in at least one game a night so far and we both love it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Armstrong
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
happycatmachine wrote:
PBrennan wrote:
But fun.
Yeah. It's always amusing when some tournament junkie comes into a thread assuming that it was created by someone who cares at all about tournaments particularly when the OP is clearly just playing the game for fun with their kid. :D
Being a bit from both of the groups you mentioned, this card is not terrible but just situational. Are you running a weenie deck? Don't play a Rancor! Does your opponent have a bunch of weenies? Play a Rancor! I enjoy when my opponent sees I have a 1-cost unit on the board and thinks their 3-cost unit is safe. I Force Choke my own guy and their unit gets eaten!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schwarz
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Gas wrote:
It's a pretty terrible card, unless you're in a weird meta where Jedi weenie decks are all the rage.
But, but, he looks so happy. How can you not love that face?

Yeah, the Rancor is a lot of fun in casual play, and I suspect, will get a lot better in the multiplayer format.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Tjarks
United States
Crowley
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A different Rancor question: Does 'Over my dead body' stop it's reaction? Or is 'Over my dead body' unable to stop a Forced Reaction?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Brennan
Australia
St Ives, Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes it does, as a Forced Reaction is still a Reaction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Tjarks
United States
Crowley
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I might have to submit that to FFG. We have been playing that Forced can't be overridden, because Over my Dead Body doesn't include wording to do so.

Your answer makes sense... but Over My Dead Body leaves it just a little up to interpretation. It it enough that a single keyword on the card matched what you are trying to affect (Character, Unit, Reaction) or does it have to be specific keywords defined (Such as Forced Reaction).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antares CD
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dreamshadow wrote:
I might have to submit that to FFG. We have been playing that Forced can't be overridden, because Over my Dead Body doesn't include wording to do so.

Your answer makes sense... but Over My Dead Body leaves it just a little up to interpretation. It it enough that a single keyword on the card matched what you are trying to affect (Character, Unit, Reaction) or does it have to be specific keywords defined (Such as Forced Reaction).
While we're pretty sure that PBrennan has it right (Forced is defined as an aditional word preceding Reaction or Interrupt to make it no longer voluntary), it is possible that it will be ruled the other way.

In either case, please be sure to copy the response you get back into this thread for people who have this question in the future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Tjarks
United States
Crowley
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
"Forced" is just a modifier, the Rancor ability is still considered a Reaction, and may be canceled by Over My Dead Body.

From the rules, page 24: "Some reaction and interrupt effects may also be Forced, making the execution of such an ability mandatory."

Nate French
Thanks for a nice fast response, FFG!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ashley Martin
United States
Pensacola
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Gas wrote:
the current "meta" is only that way until someone else figures out something new/better or unexpected

and in the case of the rancor the obvious use (IMO) is to include him in a imperial deck that's extremely vehicle heavy and perhaps using the espo troops to feed him if it becomes necessary. like old school lord of the pit. and in case your unaware LS decks often have quite a few low cost units and free droids.

also in a Scum and Villainy deck the inclusion of the rancor adds more harassment and unit control. between him and the capture effects available you can seriously put a damper on the unit production of your opponents. at least for a turn or two, more if your at all tactical about how and when you play him.

IMO rancor gives you crowd control, a low cost brusier, and unit suppression, not to mention a pretty formidable defensive unit if you want to use him that way. the monster can pretty much take out a capitol ship by him self, all for only 4 resources

the games only been out for a short while so really, what does the meta know?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Akolotu Moeloa
United States
Fort Collins
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AntaresCD wrote:
Or it runs away in search of food.
This is the reasoning I use. No reason for it to stick around if there's nothing to eat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Frazier
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We didn't play it where the Rancor would eat himself. We honestly didn't think about that.
Instead, it ate the Emperor!
May not be per the rules, but resulted in what is probably still my funnest moment with this game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls