Xia: Legends of a Drift System» Forums » Variants

Subject: Small ship advantage, size of the system rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Maros Miscik
Slovakia
flag msg tools
Two things came cross me mind:

1.Big ships>small ships: it is natural that the game makes you upgrade your ship as you play, but wouldnt it be nice to let players play their game with tier 1 ship? What i mean is, if we compare tier 1 and 3, i believe that for example for smuggling, small and fast ship would be much effective than big bulky tier three. the game, however customizable, leads to all players buying tier 3 ships and that i see as a limitation that could be easily eliminated. I believe that there is a difference in IMPULSE, but maybe I would add some other small differences as well, to mitigate all those qualities of tier 3 ships (3 abilities, big cargo=lots of HP...) Let the big scarry pirate or rich trader buy a big ship, but an assasin or smuggler may do better with smaller and faster ships that would allow them to bust through the planetary shields with more finesse and +2 roll, dodge incoming blaster and rocket fire by automatic negation of 1 dmg etc etc... It may require a lot of testing however, it is just my idea of improving this great game.

2.System size: I understand that except combat that some players may choose not to lean towards at all there is not too much of an interaction between players in this version of the game(without houserules), there is an infinite number of cubes in planets, missions are usually just 1man (most of them) etc. Doesnt the game end in players doing their own bussiness on the separate corners of the galaxy with no interaction at all? Is there any limitation to the number of sectors derived from the number of players?
Again some idea: Maybe some form of Global Missions that when drawn are available for all players to complete, something like "emergency on planet XY, deliver this and that, evacuate someone, etc" maybe it would make game more interactive and make players make even more interesting choices, whether to change the course for the new challenge or continue on their way.

Just some ideas that i believe may be developed by some creative mind if you decide they are valuable.
Anyways good luck Cody&Far Off Games, I completely trust you and i do not doubt that the game you will deliver will be the Top one
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Cody mentioned that a player won one of the games with a tier 1 ship, so it isn't out of the realm of possibility for that to happen.

2. There is more than just combat that allows for player interaction. Remember that exploration locations are a one-time good deal, so there could be a race to reach those before other players. Sellsword will cause a lot of mayham as players use it on other players. Also, I am sure there is nothing banning trading of money and cubes in space (jettison and pay). In combat alone, I see a TON more player on player attacks versus Merchants and Marauders.

-Ski

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl
Austria
Salzburg
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Regarding the ships: Tier 3 Ships do not necessarily have to be bigger then Tier 1 Ships. Maybe they all do, I don't know. They could also be small, but with awesome abilities.

Second: There is one very important advantage to Tier 1 Ships: Faster respawning time. So if you plan to go super risky - like scrap collecting, you migth be better of with a Tier 1 ship as you will not be out for a full turn upon failure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody Miller
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Maros,

I've actually spent quite a bit of my time developing to try and get the various Tier's to feel good, but not become too over powered.

It's a difficult balance, because I want there to be a feeling of progression when you purchase a new ship, but also I don't want there to be an exponential power shift. Usually when you first build up some credits you have to make a choice: Do I stay with my weaker starting outfits (blasters, engines etc.) and buy a new ship, or do I upgrade my Tier 1 ship with some great outfits? It's a difficult choice to make. Sometimes players will go Tier 2 too quickly, and lose out to someone who uses a Tier 1 longer...

But in general, it's just more fun to buy a new ship. So that's kind of why it is how it is...

Cheers, -Cody
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maros Miscik
Slovakia
flag msg tools
I understand, thank you and good luck with the game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.