1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

Android: Netrunner» Forums » General

Subject: New KMC Sleeves: Hyper Matte rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mara
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've personally been satisfied with KMC matte black sleeves, but unfortunately, I've noticed after playing lots of Netrunner that the backs of Netrunner cards are textured (especially the middle back) and will create an impression on the back of KMC matte black sleeves.

This isn't a problem if I keep sleeves I've used on runner and corp cards separate, but since the Netrunner backs are different, the cards will appear marked to me if I swap the sleeves (as I can notice the differences in the impressions).

This isn't immediately apparent to someone who doesn't know to look for it, and at least it is consistent if I keep runner and corp sleeves separate.

However, I'm looking forward to these new KMC matte black sleeves. I don't fully understand from the description what will make them superior to current sleeves or different from the current KMC sleeves. They do provide the following explanation:

Quote:
Hyper Mat series are produced from the highest quality. By reducing the gloss and texture of the material, additional strength has been added making it the most superior product.

We have found these new Hyper Mat sleeves to be far less slick than anything on the market. Easier to shuffle and easier to keep stacked!

Hopefully these new sleeves will be available soon, and I'm looking forward to either reviewing them or reading someone else's review. Hopefully they will replace my current KMC matte sleeves. Will be available in bulk from Potomac. I'm eager to discern if these are the best sleeves on the market and what the differences are.

EDIT: here's a review on the sleeves http://roxiecards.com/kmc-hyper-mat-sleeve-review/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alberto Wagner
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After buying 8 boxes of Dragon Sleeves (4 for each side) I will probably never change my sleeves, but I like the matte finish on these... Mine are kinda metallic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Smith
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I heard a rumor that Fantasy Flight was going to be releasing art sleeves that have the Netrunner cardback designs on them....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Don't make me exile you.
mbmbmbmbmb
MinisterOfPropaganda wrote:
I heard a rumor that Fantasy Flight was going to be releasing art sleeves that have the Netrunner cardback designs on them....

Other than for the variant art cards, why wouldn't you just use clear?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Smith
United Kingdom
Pimlico
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's a chemical reaction between the red ink on the runner cards and any coloured sleeve in general. I've swapped over to ffg clear which do the job.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mychal
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
locusshifter wrote:

Besides allowing alternate art cards and proxies, some people just prefer opaque sleeves.

I would make the switch if FFG were to release them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt - Conduit23
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd never considered have sleeves of the card backs, but now that you mention it, I would super murder someone to get sleeves featuring the A:NR card back design in faction appropriate colors.

So the current runner card back but in orange/red, blue, light green, and the current corp card back but in purple, red, yellow, and dark green.

Maybe even add the faction symbol to the center.. I've already spent a ton on Dragon Shields for 7 decks and I wouldn't hesitate to buy a full set of official faction specific sleeves.

HEAR MY PRAYERS FFG!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley Kinslow
United States
Piperton
Tennessee
flag msg tools
↳ Do one brain damage ↳ Do one brain damage ↳ End the run
badge
Real heroes wear pink...
mb

When they do if they have 7 designs (one for each Corp/Runner faction) then it looks like I'll be buying 7 full boxes of sleeves.

I never plan to run out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mara
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Flamehearted wrote:
I think it's a chemical reaction between the red ink on the runner cards and any coloured sleeve in general. I've swapped over to ffg clear which do the job.

That is interesting to hear. I had been thinking that it was due to the backs of the cards being textured slightly, but now that I look closely, I think you're right. That large design in red ink seems to be producing an impression on the back of the sleeve.

I'd switch over to FFG clear, which are a wide fit and could be snugger, but then I couldn't use promo cards, and I prefer an opaque back. I guess I'll first try to test out with other opaque backs, including this new hyper matte.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mychal
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mdanuser wrote:
I'd never considered have sleeves of the card backs, but now that you mention it, I would super murder someone to get sleeves featuring the A:NR card back design in faction appropriate colors.

So the current runner card back but in orange/red, blue, light green, and the current corp card back but in purple, red, yellow, and dark green.

Maybe even add the faction symbol to the center.. I've already spent a ton on Dragon Shields for 7 decks and I wouldn't hesitate to buy a full set of official faction specific sleeves.

HEAR MY PRAYERS FFG!

Even just a green runner and purple corp for nostalgic purposes...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt - Conduit23
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes!

Those would work for Shaper and HB, also..

And then just 5 more for the rest of the factions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ranicus
United States
flag msg tools
I asked this in another thread, but it seems appropriate to ask it here. Has anyone tried the KMC W Version (standard, clear) sleeves for Netrunner? I was thinking about these instead of Fantasy Flight Sleeves as the FFG sleeves seem a bit tall (and perhaps even a little loose in the width). But, I worry that the KMC W Version may not be as durable or thick as the FFG sleeves. Can anyone comment on the thickness and durability of the KMC W Version sleeves compared to other sleeves (particularly the FFG standard card game sleeves)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ryan
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been seriously considering these for the corp:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian H
United States
Anacortes
Washington
flag msg tools
Mess with the best, die like the rest.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
williamj35 wrote:

Jinteki mind games, taken to the next level.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wabi Sabi Will

Oregon
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
locusshifter wrote:

Why doesn't everyone just wear brown clothes, all the time?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian H
United States
Anacortes
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
photogasm wrote:
locusshifter wrote:

Why doesn't everyone just wear brown clothes, all the time?

Your analogy doesn't really follow. The point was that if you wanted the stock rear card art, and didn't use alternate art cards, there wouldn't be much point in using an opaque sleeve with the exact same art on the back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wabi Sabi Will

Oregon
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And my point was that it's just a matter of preference.

Anyway, doesn't matter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atte Loikkanen
Finland
Kuopio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
williamj35 wrote:

It's always a great feeling to flip a Janus from under these babies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SIMON WRAY
Bermuda
Devonshire
Devonshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
locusshifter wrote:

Because people like choice and have personal preferences...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sonny A.
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
locusshifter wrote:

Then we couldn't use printed proxies in front of a MTG card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Double Plus Undead
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Skylar114 wrote:
Besides allowing alternate art cards and proxies, some people just prefer opaque sleeves.

Also, opaque sleeves are required for tournaments.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian H
United States
Anacortes
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pirate_chef wrote:
Skylar114 wrote:

Also, opaque sleeves are required for tournaments.

Only if you are using alternate art cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Nute
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
CORNbread, ain't nothin' wrong with that
mbmbmbmbmb
EndTheRun wrote:
Flamehearted wrote:

That is interesting to hear. I had been thinking that it was due to the backs of the cards being textured slightly, but now that I look closely, I think you're right. That large design in red ink seems to be producing an impression on the back of the sleeve.

I'd switch over to FFG clear, which are a wide fit and could be snugger, but then I couldn't use promo cards, and I prefer an opaque back. I guess I'll first try to test out with other opaque backs, including this new hyper matte.

I also just noticed that my sleeve backs have a slight impression from the card backs. Theres definitely no texture to them so I'm inclined to believe the chemical reaction theory... I've never seen this with other card games though, very weird. Just to note, the sleeves I'm seeing the impression on are Dragon Shields.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Schaener
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the impression also happens with the colored ffg sleeves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian H
United States
Anacortes
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't noticed any impressions on my clear FFG sleeves, but I don't pull the cards out very often, either. I'll have to check for that but I don't think there is one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.