Popular Tags: [View All]
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trial 1, 2, 3?

Mission 1 and 2?

We'll start 16:00 tomorrow and I don't know whatever to play them all and until they finish or jump ahead somewhat.

I guess I'm ok with playing them as is but the question is how long people want to play the same and how far we manage at first sitting

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bohm
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools

Realistically, about 1-2 hours per, at least. You're first game will be one of the longest as, you see that part in the rulebook before the first trial? You have to get them acquainted to the system.

The easiest way to do this is to say something along the following:
"All the stats have a value that essentially have 2 purposes:
1. One purpose is for completing objectives. What that means, for wits for example, is your wits stat vs. the challenge stat. Based on whether you are better or worse determines how likely you will complete that challenge.

For this purpose, it doesn't really matter where your stats are. A 9 in intelligence vs. an intelligence challenge is as good as a 9 strength against a strength challenge.

2. For the second purpose, it does matter what the stat is. For example, strength means how capable you are at lifting things. Some heavy items or weapons your character may not be able to use unless he's strong enough. Same thing with intelligence; strength and intelligence are primarily used to see if you can use certain weapons.

Wits means how fast you are in Melee combat, someone with higher wits gets to hit first.

Respect is similar to wits in that it makes your character "quicker" but on the battle map. Usually a higher honor means you get to place first (and move first) or some other map placement advantage (per Rush).

Honor may give you some advantages when you complete some stats, it's not super useful.

Now these stats are the most heavily based challenge stats: Strength, Intellect, Wits, Honor and Respect.

While still able to do challenges, the following stats are used on less challenge cards and instead are your main combat stats: Melee, Power Damage for Melee attacks and either Aim, Point, or Throw plus a ranged weapons stats for ranged attacks.

This is still a challenge but now the challenge is made against the opposing players stat: Melee vs. React, Aim/Point/Throw vs. Stealth. If you hit, then it's the weapons power vs. the opponents armor."

If you think your group is up to it, just start at one of the later trials/missions and teach from there. I understand it can be daunting however if you've never played before so, as long as you are having fun, going through the Trials 1 by 1 isn't a bad idea.

Let us know how it turns out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a gaming group at the university so I think people is up for it / will easily get some basic understanding but I guess it would had helped if I had actually read the master rules to and more or less knew it inside out at least up to the actual trials =P

I think it will be fine but I'm starting to get too tired to read through the master set rules now

I've read the basic stuff earlier and some of the master set but I haven't re-read basic one since I got it on paper

The player aid cards are convenient and good to

Edit: That reminded me I hadn't put the player aid cards with the character cards which was being pressed between two books and some paper with a 32 kg kettlebell on top. They had already flattened out nicely (sleeves was about 80 mm wide and the cards is about the same so some of them bended/flexed a little. But it seem like stretching them like this works fine )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't really need to bring the brown keys, the alliance key and the alternative labyrinths right?

I'll be taking the bike so less stuff = better. Trying to package it in some way safe (keys in the bubble wrap in an FFG sleeves presentation box.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philipp Ottensamer
Austria
Wien
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I started with rush, so I could have all the essential things while still playing a very fast game - no wonder its called rush .

You basically play it without the labyrinths but you put out a lot of encounter tokens. This lets you get many items in a very short amount of time, which again, makes the game even faster .

Only hard thing you should explain to people up front is opfire and the different bonuses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aliquis wrote:
I don't really need to bring the brown keys, the alliance key and the alternative labyrinths right?

You can definitely lighten the load by leaving them home. In fact, in the other teaching thread Brett specifically recommends not using any of those when teaching new players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Aikens
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The first training session took two of us only about 90 minutes, and neither of us had played any version of DoA before. The second tutorial (Crossfire) took twice as long, partly due to a bout of AP for Team White brought about by the OpFire rules and the "shoot or move?" decisions on each turn.

The third training scenario (Storm) should take less than 90 minutes, and after that "the training wheels come off", as dhailey aptly put it in another post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Lucas
Canada
Belleville
Ontario
flag msg tools
It's a perfect day for some mayhem!
badge
It's a perfect day for some mayhem!
mbmbmbmbmb
The first mission took me and my opponent about an hour. The second mission was even faster, though a lot of that was amazing luck on my side and horrid luck on the other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.