Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

Kemet» Forums » Rules

Subject: Question on Divine Intervention Cards in Battle and Battle Strategy rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Justin Loiselle
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I did my best to scroll through the forums on rules so I hope I am not asking the same questions:

Question #1:

Regarding Battle, the rules state, "Each player can also add to this card one or more DI cards. These are hidden under the battle card."

My question is, should opponents be allowed to know if and how many DI cards their opponent is playing, or is this supposed to be a super secret that you only reveal after both players have selected their battle card? Obviously, sometimes you play a specific Battle Card because you know that it will win you the battle, UNLESS the opponent would play a DI card. And if you know they are playing a DI, you might also play one.

Question #2:

The rules state, "At the beginning of a battle, the attacker and the defender should each choose 2 Battle cards:
• The first card is immediately discarded, face up or down.
• The second card is played in the battle."

Why would you choose to discard your unused Battle Card face up? Can anyone give me a good strategic reason? I couldn't fathom why playing it face up provide you any benefit, but it does provide the other players with a benefit.

Thanks all!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. I don't think the rules specifically say one way or the other whether you should keep number of DI cards secret or open knowledge. I think you can play either way as long as all the players are aware and agree on the chosen way to play from the beginning of the game.

2. I don't see why you would discard the unused battle card face up. I'm guessing that you can choose from the beginning of the game how you are going to discard the cards, face up or down and then do so. So I think perhaps that's why it was referenced in that rule you quoted. I think face down is the way to go though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Watson
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey - United Kingdom
flag msg tools
ASL - other tactical wargames call it Sir.
badge
Beneath this mask there is an idea.....and ideas are bulletproof.
mbmbmbmbmb
#1 - I believe the intention of the rules was that each player should select/choose a battle card and any DI cards he wished to play simultaneously and in secret, hence hiding any DI cards beneath the battle card to conceal whether there are any or not until they have also selected.

In practice we have found this too fiddly and involves players having to do the selection process below table height to keep things secret running the risk of dropped cards and so on. So we play that both players select a battle cards simultaneously (along with their discard battle card) then, before the battlecards are revealed, the attacker declares whether he will play a DI card(s) and places them face down with his battle card, then the defender gets to declare any DI cards. All cards (except the discard battlecards) are then turned face up and the battle resolved.

#2 - I can see no advantage for the players to reveal their battlecard discards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Franklin
United States
Milton
Washington
flag msg tools
He sees you when you're sleeping; he knows when you're awake ...
badge
He knows if you've been bad or good.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hahma wrote:
2. I don't see why you would discard the unused battle card face up. I'm guessing that you can choose from the beginning of the game how you are going to discard the cards, face up or down and then do so. So I think perhaps that's why it was referenced in that rule you quoted. I think face down is the way to go though.

The rulebook initially had a line about players deciding before they started play whether discards were face-up or face-down.

I'm not sure if it's still in there or not, but I specifically remember seeing it at several points while working on it.

Eric
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Disgustipater
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DI cards in battle as secret.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Dilloo
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
Everything is relative to perception, and your perception is limited.
badge
The Ginger Ninja
mbmbmbmbmb
1) The RAW has actually worked OK for us, with DI cards. A bit clumsy to put them under the battle card without giving any info away, but do-able. Seems like however you want/can do it is OK.

2) We postulated that playing the discard face-up may help to learn the games and cards. But even before the first action token was placed, we decided that down was the only way to fly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Dennard
United States
Winchester
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
2. Since there are only 6 Battle cards, playing the discarded one face up would potentially add a wrinkle to your tactical thinking. As your opponent's deck dries up, you can make more of a guess as to which card he or she is playing (but your opponent can also try to outthink your guess, as well).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
2. Gamethyme is correct - the rules state that players should decide before the game whether or not they are going to discard face up. I do remember that the rule is mentioned casually in a strange spot. There is no tactical advantage to revealing yours when everyone else's is hidden.

We always play unrevealed - it's hard enough for the defender to win battles as it is...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Shepherdson
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
2- In the beginning of the game, its decided for either all to be face up or all to be face down. Everyone is affected by this rule. Depends on what sort of game you would want to play. More guessing or less guessing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Aguirre
United States
El Paso
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Cowbell!
mbmbmbmbmb
So for question #1: Are we allowed to know if the player will be playing a DI card PRIOR to picking our battle card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Silverman
United States
Halfway between Castro and Mickey Mouse
Florida (FL)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IMO you should hide the DI card(s) under the Battle card so your opponent doesn't know about it. The rule isn't entirely clear, but that's what it implies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney "Watch It Played" Smith
Canada
Montague
Prince Edward Island
flag msg tools
badge
Join us to learn and watch games played at youtube.com/watchitplayed
mbmbmbmbmb
Me and my opponents have gotten into the habit of taking our battle and DI cards into our laps under the table, picking the Battle and any DI cards we plan to use and putting them in one hand and then at the same time placing them on the battlefield. This prevents us from adjusting whether we put a DI card in or not simply because we saw someone else taking a DI card into their hand to play.

I got the impression from the rules that players are supposed to "hide" their DI cards under their battle card, but if one person is faster than the other and puts their cards on the table, it's not too hard to tell if they have buried a couple cards under there, thus influencing the other players choices.

Keeping things perfectly hidden felt like the right way to do it for us, but I'm glad this question came up with others, as it felt like something that was worth clearing up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.