Popular Tags: [View All]
Jay Borden
United States
Somerset
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mamma Mia! (2/12/2006 - Mike, Tammy, and Jay)

(Note: A rule was played wrong in this game. We started each round with all 8 pizzas in our order stack. We should have only added the improperly baked pizzas back into our order stack after each round.)

Here’s a quick session report of a game I played with a PC and RPG gaming buddy (Mike) and his non-gamer girlfriend (Tammy). Both of them have never played Mamma Mia before. Since this one plays quickly and is mainly based on a memory mechanic, I’ll go over the logic I used more than the exact ingredient cards and pizzas added to the oven.

This being my 3rd time playing, I’m still trying to form a basic strategy of how I play out each round. I try to keep 5 ingredients and 2 pizzas in hand for most of the round. As the end of the round get closer, I try to go up to 6 ingredients and one pizza in hand (and end the round with 7 ingredients if possible). I find myself getting more aggressive with throwing pizzas into the oven every game. You can only get points for pizzas in the oven, so I try to cycle through my order deck quickly (remembering the ingredients needed to finish off my early pizzas). This is especially true for the 15+ order….get rid of it quickly so you can get to the easier 4 or 5 ingredient orders.

I explained the rules and tried to play up the theme (‘the cook just quit and we have no clue on how to make pizzas’). I also use a cheesy New York accent when adding stuff to the oven (“Yo Vinny, 2 more olives”). We played 2 rounds to get a feel for the game before we started keeping score. We left out the Mamma Mia card for the first round so I could ‘drive the bus’ to explain the scoring one final time. We added the Mamma Mia card in the 2nd and 3rd rounds, but I drew it both times anyway (I always shout out “Mamma Mia!” when I draw it which they found amusing).

Round 1:
I completed 4 of 5 pizzas in the oven, Mike completed 2 of 2, and Tammy completed 0 of 1. I again stressed the value of taking a chance: ‘just throw a pizza in if you think it’s close. You can finish the order with cards from your hand. You can’t score points without pizzas in the oven.’

Round 2:
I didn’t get any pepperoni in the early part of the game (that was my secret ingredient needed on almost every order). I took my own advice and kept adding pizzas to the oven when there were only 1 or 2 missing ingredients. I remember keeping track:

After a few turns: ‘OK...save 1 pepperoni’
2 turns later: ‘Ok…save another pepperoni and a cheese’
3 turns later: ‘save 3 pepperoni and a cheese’

I was only getting olives (which I was holding to prevent purple from completing orders). At about 2/3rds of the way through the deck, I added 6 olives to the oven and finally drew my first pepperoni of the game. I completed 4 of 5 pizzas that game (Mike’s early 15+ order was a couple of ingredients shy, so I didn’t even need most of what I saved). Mike completed 3 of 4 and his girlfriend completed 0 of the 3 she added to the oven. In her defense, Mike took the early played olives as his “pepper and ???” order and I wasn’t dropping the ones I drew (yeah…I’m a jerk for that one….I should played them since it was her first game).

Round 3:
I think the game really started to click for Mike and Tammy this round. They both played much more pizzas into the oven and didn’t seem to play any pepperoni (luckily I drew enough). I completed 5 of 7 pizzas added, Mike had 4 of 6, and Tammy finally got on the board with 3 of 5.

I had brought a bunch of games to Mike’s house for them to try so we only played one game of each (except For Sale which we played twice). This gave me a huge advantage in each game, but I wanted to see what type of games they would be into for our next game session.

Games played that night:
Poison:
I pulled out a close win. It was my 2nd time playing so I had the advantage again (as with all the games played).

Mamma Mia! (this session report) :
Me: 13
Mike: 9
Tammy: 4

We probably should have done a few more practice rounds or played a second game, but I wanted to get to all the games at least once if possible.

Knights:
Tammy won. She didn’t fail to take any card she went for and quickly destroyed us. She won it with 3 joust victories and 2 castles

For sale:
We played 2 games of this one. Tammy was getting tired so we decided to play one more of this one before she went to bed (since it was quick and already out). Tammy won the first and I took the second (both were close games).

Carcassonne:
Mike and I played 2 games after Tammy went to bed. I won both, but the second game was really close (he had 5 of the 7 monks worth 7-9 points each). The farms really make this one tough for first time players. It take a few games (with aggressive play) to learn how to steal cities and get an advantage in farmers.

I’ve recently been playing board games with Mike, but this was the first time his girlfriend ever played a non-traditional board game. She had a good time and is willing to play again next week. A good night of gaming was had by all!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Uherske
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I'm very confused. How can you score 13 when there are only eight pizza orders available to you in the whole game?

Or when you say "round," do you actually mean a whole game of three rounds? In other words, that you played three whole games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Borden
United States
Somerset
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just reviewed the rules again, we missed the part about only improperly baked pizzas getting put back in your order pile. The first time playing was with my daughter (so speed to get the game rolling was a factor), we started each round with the full 8 and just kept score on a scrap paper.

I guess the correct way would keep the score closer since you would have less pizzas to complete if you got an early lead. I'll have to try it that way next time we play.

Thanks for pointing it out, I don't think I would ever have looked at the rules again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.