BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Chit Chat

Subject: Sonic Shuffle and/or Mario Party anyone ?? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ima Meeple
Denmark
Unspecified
flag msg tools
I've been reading thru' a truckload of topics and found that many of you (even if it's hard for some to admit ), actually play console and PC games. Then I remembered a few games that's always entertained me, the li'l boss and friends; Sonic Shuffle (on Dreamcast) and Mario Party (on N64).

For those in the dark, these are essentially board games that's made specificly for console. In style I'd say they're pretty much Euro games, easy to pick up, very appealing to behold and hilarious beyond belief.
Basicly you run around a virtual gameboard collecting gems/bananas, certain fields on the "board" will trigger a mini-game, which usually requires only one button to be pressed (to make it easier for non-gamers, and thus appealing to a broader audience). mini-games vary between co-operating and all-in-brawls (eg. don't get stomped, tag, collect umbrellas).

Anyways, do anyone out there stil play these games (or something similar) ??
Any comments on Console boardgames are welcome.

... oh and if it's not apparent, I like these games, in fact the wife and i still enjoy them, even if it's only on a yearly basis

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
admin
Convention Committee
badge
BGG.CON! BGG.CON SPRING! BGG@SEA!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ewww.

Mario Party 1 was fun, sure. But too many people complained about getting hurt playing the minigames, so Nintendo took the craziest minigames out for the sequels (and also sent fingerless gloves to millions of gamers). They also took out most of the "take that" portions of the game. As a result, the sequels are all boring.

And Sonic Shuffle...I really wanted to like. I'm a die-hard Sega fan, and love the blue guy more than most. But Shuffle did absolutley nothing for me. I can't even articulate what I didn't like, since I forced myself to forget the game even existed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Vantries
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
I have a friend that has the newest Mario Party (it's the only one I've ever played) and I can enjoy it on occassion. Wario Ware and Fusion Frenzy are also a couple other good ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Oettinger
United States
Springfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
No discussion of console board games can be complete without mentioning Culdcept, a version of which was released on the PS2 in North America. A fair way to describe it would be sort of a combination of Monopoly and Magic the Gathering (which might not sound like fun, but it works very well in practice) I've always thought it could make a good actual (i.e., physical) board game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ima Meeple
Denmark
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Ahh yes, Fuzion Frenzy, another great party game. Definitely not a board game, but still a lot of fun. I especially like the rythm games in it.

Jon: I'm a regular DC fanboy, and I have no doubt that's why I think SS is a great little gem. The loading time never really bothered me, just more time to gloat, since that game have the 'take that' feel to it.

I guess it's that 'take 'that' feel that's so appealing, since there's not a lot of strategy, bidding or luck involved. Admitted luck does play a small part, especially in the movement parts, but to win the game you need skills.

In any event, it seems I'm alone in my 'love' for these games so far

*edit*
Aaaargghh, major slowdowns, I missed Nick's reply.

Culdcept ?? never heard of it, will definitely read up on it. I don't have a PS2, so there's no way for me to play it ... yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Jacy
United States
Waltham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Fusion Frenzy" has about 5 mini-games on it I like. "Lights, Camera, Pants!" is a Sponge Bob Square pants game that I've tried a couple of times and has some okay mini-games on it. "Super Monkey Ball Deluxe" (I have the xbox version) is a nifty 1 player game, that also has a few oddball mini-games that are an interesting diversion, but if you don't like the basic game, I wouldn't go out of the way to buy it just for the mini-games.

No other experience in this realm though, as it is usually just "button mashing", and that gets boring after a while.

Good luck finding a good game, maybe a search on gamespot.com will turn up a list of games, and user ratings?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ima Meeple
Denmark
Unspecified
flag msg tools
I'm actually not looking for these kind of games, just looking for a oppinions and/or discussions about 'em

I also have MBD, and was quickly bored by the one player game, not nearly as exciting as Chu Chu Rocket (probabæly that DC fanboy thing again laugh ). Of the minis boxing is by far a fave

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Imboden
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Burnout". "Burnout 2". "Burnout 3".

Trust me. The GREATEST video party games evah created.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ima Meeple
Denmark
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Yeah pushing a mate over a cliff at breakneck speeds is certainly an entertaining pasttime, but BO is not a console-boardgame hybrid either, and i was hoping for a discussion about those

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a bigger fan of computer games that are 'boardgame flavored', but too complicated to be played as a real boardgame. For example:

Real civ building games: Civilization, Master of Magic, Master of Orion
Tactical wargames: XCom, Incubation
Mammooth-sized strategic sims: Clash of Steel, Hearts of Iron

And then you have 'Wallenstein in space': VGAPlanets

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ima Meeple
Denmark
Unspecified
flag msg tools
'boardgame flavoured' .... Good call jorge, I didn't even think about console/cpu games being flavoured, but you're right. There's heap of games that use boardgame 'mechanics' (in lack of a better word).

Xcom, completely forgot that, can't even remember when I played it. Great game, and I can certainly see it as a boardgame.

Most of the other titles I've never even heard of.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
admin
Convention Committee
badge
BGG.CON! BGG.CON SPRING! BGG@SEA!
mbmbmbmbmb
I am unbeatable in Chu Chu Rocket. PowerStone 2 is another great DC party game. And while they aren't defined as "party games", Samba de Amigo and Typing of the Dead are fun w/ large groups.

On the Monkey Ball thing...Monkey Target (1 or 2...they are different, in very significant ways) rocks.

But to get the best party games available, you have to look to the Saturn. Saturn Bomberman (up to 10 players!) and Death Tank Zwei (7-players) are kings of the party game genre, and will likely never be de-throned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ima Meeple
Denmark
Unspecified
flag msg tools
heh, still trying to get me hands on Samba (with maracas of 'coz). Never thought of neiher PO game as party games, they feel so arcadey.
Have a few DDRs and a mat, but to be honest, I stink at dance games, which is surprising since I can get pretty far in Samba using the standard controller.

Yes, I have a brown version of Samba, but only 'till I actually win an eBay auction

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jenny Nguyen
Australia
Bungarribee
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
*cringe*

I was never a fan of Mario Party. I think that the "board" concept for that game actually killed any potential fun that game had. The whole random dice element thing surprise. Not good. Not to mention MP was a N64 controller killer! cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Washington
United States
Unspecified
New York
flag msg tools
nico-dk wrote:

Anyways, do anyone out there stil play these games (or something similar) ??
Any comments on Console boardgames are welcome.

... oh and if it's not apparent, I like these games, in fact the wife and i still enjoy them, even if it's only on a yearly basis

Original AGE OF WONDERS.

Teh shiznit.

Essentially, someone took DIVINE RIGHT, tossed in some of the mechanics from WHITE BEAR, RED MOON/DRAGON PASS, then tossed in this bitchin' XP/skill gain for hero characters, the option of drawn-out full-on tacticals or "quick-and easy" roll and eliminate battles, and wrapped it all up in gorgeous 2-D rendered hex-defined maps. Nothing on a PC feels more "boardgamey" than this...imo, a major must-have for any serious gamer's PC library....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Vantries
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Well, since this has kinda transformed into a discussion about party-esque games, I'll throw in recommendations for Dance Dance Revolution, and, Eyetoy for PS2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.