Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi,
Just came back from my first (incomplete) f2f game. I'm loving this game.
My colleague and I managed to sort out all our questions on the fly, more or less :-)

So just a quick question: can I declare 'Attack' general orders at the end of my action phase and not having a single block able to make a legal attack move at that moment (I.e. they are out of a field of fire) ? Our current assumption is yes but I'm not 100% sure.

Furthermore, if the situation stays the same at the end of my next action phase, I'm not penalized with token losses, since this is the exception writen in the rules (page 4, column 2, third paragraph)

This could be used (and was used) not really to attack but to force a slow tempo, 1 h, preventing multi-hour turns reinforcements.

Rafael
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich James
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting. I think you have found a small loophole in the rules. I think you are right that it is not prohibited by the rules. The only penalty you suffer is not getting to draw tokens. Maybe Bowen intended that players could do this? Otherwise, the rule could be amended to say you can declare Attack general orders only if you have at least one block that is currently in a legal attack position.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maybe the idea is that you can declare attack orders in anticipation of the opposing side moving into positions you can attack even if you have no current legal attacks. I don't really see this as a loophole, not drawing battle tokens while the other player can is enough of a deterrent in my eyes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Luub
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you could, but in general you probably shouldn't. You're giving up a tile draw, and your opponent will probably put you in the position of either having to make a very disadvantageous attack, or paying the penalty for not attacking (discarding tiles).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich James
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, you're right Jimmy. You should be able to anticipate the need to attack. And I agree that not getting to draw tokens is a pretty bad consequence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rochelle
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Josh has the right of it. Not drawing a new tile is a reasonably substantial penalty, but handing your opponent the opportunity to put you in a lose-lose situation is the real reason to avoid this play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachel Simmons
United States
Los Altos
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It is perfectly legal to declare attack orders when you have no attack set up for your next turn. A legitimate use is to deter moves that your opponent might otherwise make if he knew he could not be attacked. It does, however, run the risk that your opponent could create a situation where you would have to make an unfavorable attack or suffer a heavy token penalty. The inability to draw a token yourself, regardless of what your opponent does, is also a significant penalty, especially if you are trying to do this for turn after turn, just to slow down the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Piazza
msg tools
bowen wrote:
It is perfectly legal to declare attack orders when you have no attack set up for your next turn.
Seems to me that it is also legal even if an attack is totally impossible because you don't have tokens left in your tray. A seemingly bizarre choice, certainly, but legal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MLeis
Estonia
Tallinn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Page 4, right column:

"If the next turn is a night turn, or you have no battle tokens in
your tray, you cannot choose Attack."