Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
22 Posts

Cthulhu Wars» Forums » General

Subject: Resale ideas rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
quinn ortmeyer
Canada
Breslau
Ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all, need some input from fellow geeks. Being a completist, I am going to pledge the DVM level, although I could do without the starting player markers, but it still is the best deal to get everything. Now I'm cringing a bit at the price, so I was thinking of some ideas to perhaps help fund this venture. Now instead of selling something I already have, I was contemplating buying some other pledge level of CW, and then reselling, hopefully at a profit, to help offset my VDM purchase. What pledge level would you think might have the best resale value? I have an eb 3 CDg level pledge that I think might be the best. If i can get an earlier cdg would be even better, but Comes with one expansion, the kickstarter exclusive starter figure as well as all the free Goo's. any thoughts on this? Any pledge level might be better? I also have an eb4 cultist level, that I could add the factions pack to also. But thinking the CDg maybe is still better value.

This way I'm helping the campaign more and making some cash. I'm hoping to,maybe make 100$ at least or so. Is this a reasonable thing to expect?

Any thoughts on what may sell the best, or is this a risky venture?

Any input would be great. Thanks


 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Shinners
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Avatar
turok12 wrote:
Hi all, need some input from fellow geeks. Being a completist, I am going to pledge the DVM level, although I could do without the starting player markers, but it still is the best deal to get everything. Now I'm cringing a bit at the price, so I was thinking of some ideas to perhaps help fund this venture. Now instead of selling something I already have, I was contemplating buying some other pledge level of CW, and then reselling, hopefully at a profit, to help offset my VDM purchase. What pledge level would you think might have the best resale value? I have an eb 3 CDg level pledge that I think might be the best. If i can get an earlier cdg would be even better, but Comes with one expansion, the kickstarter exclusive starter figure as well as all the free Goo's. any thoughts on this? Any pledge level might be better? I also have an eb4 cultist level, that I could add the factions pack to also. But thinking the CDg maybe is still better value.

This way I'm helping the campaign more and making some cash. I'm hoping to,maybe make 100$ at least or so. Is this a reasonable thing to expect?

Any thoughts on what may sell the best, or is this a risky venture?

Any input would be great. Thanks




Just a warning - people on BGG generally aren't very...accepting of speculators, especially those who are taking up an early bird spot so they can make some money on the resale.
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Bauer
United States
Smyrna
Georgia
flag msg tools
Colored baggies for your games, www.boardgamestorage.com.
badge
Colored baggies for your games, www.boardgamestorage.com.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, you have the risk that you can't sell it for more than you paid, and your money is tied up for a while.

Also, there is no way to have two different pledges unless you have multiple Amazon accounts. Unless they are letting you add on pledges?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fantom Core
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
I thought about this, even thinking about going as far as buying 2 DVM level pledges, 1 for myself and 1 to resale on ebay. But honestly, it's expensive enough just getting the 1 set for myself. I have to put it on credit, so if I end up putting a 2nd pledge on credit as well, I don't really think I'll be making a good profit because interest on my card will be piling on, and when the time comes to finally sell the 2nd set, I don't feel confident that I get a profit, but the 2nd set might end up paying for both copies if I'm lucky, but in the end I don't like the stress of having my card maxed out and waiting months to recoup the cost and possibly not turn a profit much less break even.

If you can pay for 2 sets with cash, then your in a better position to resale and possibly have the 2nd copy not only pay for your 1st, but also give you a nice profit.

I decided not to make this an investment opportunity and just something I want to own for myself. But I can tell you those who knew Zombicide was going to be big, and bought extra sets to resale, made a killing. And to be honest, I have the same feeling that Cthulhu Wars is going to be big just like Zombicide. So their will be crazy buyers on ebay when the game gets to backers. Because Cthulhu Mythos is well known all around the world. Once backers possess actual miniatures to sell, aftermarket buyers will go crazy for them.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fantom Core
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
kirkbauer wrote:
Well, you have the risk that you can't sell it for more than you paid, and your money is tied up for a while.

Also, there is no way to have two different pledges unless you have multiple Amazon accounts. Unless they are letting you add on pledges?


Actually you can have 2 separate KS accounts tied to 1 Amazon account with the same credit card. I know this because I bought 2 separate pledges that were the same for the Zpocalypse KS campaign only a couple of months ago.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matt way
United States
dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Its going to be hard to predict which expansion ends up being in demand. If anything the GOO's are probably your best bet, as they can be sold seperately and come free at the $200 level. I would bet people would buy a large Cthulhu mini even just to have it to paint. I would also think the gates will sell well. If I had to "invest" $400 in this, I'd get 2 sets of $200 game packages rather than one $400 set.

But I have never resold anything, so I could be completely wrong.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
quinn ortmeyer
Canada
Breslau
Ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey thanks for the input so far. As far as being a nasty speculator taking up valuable eb spots, I see what you're saying, not sure i agree, but lets say I give up the eb spot and go regular CDg or cultist. Better?

Zombicicde did enter my mind. I never saw the kickstarter, and not sorry I missed it, but I kept seeing these insane eBay prices. Got me thinking. What were the zombicicde pledges selling for on kickstarter, the ones that sold for like 700$? What kind of profit were these people making?

I'm not worried about credit cards and interest and such, I have the cash, but still the 525 is a bit painful, so trying to,offset the pain.

Indeed I have 2 kickstarter accounts on the same amazon account.


 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hoffman
United States
Cortlandt Manor
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Considering how little of the rewards are actually Kickstarter exclusive, and the repeated info that the game and expansions will be available at retail, I'd venture that speculating on buying extra stuff to resell isn't really a great investment.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
quinn ortmeyer
Canada
Breslau
Ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
True, there is little exclusive stuff, except the 9 free Goo's add some good value, above and beyond the game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fantom Core
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
ohbalto wrote:
Considering how little of the rewards are actually Kickstarter exclusive, and the repeated info that the game and expansions will be available at retail, I'd venture that speculating on buying extra stuff to resell isn't really a great investment.


Good point. Anything that is exclusive like the Collector Edition minis, are really just a reissue of what you'll be getting if you buy the game at retail. Plus those stretch goals for the Collector Edition minis are so hard to reach, that its really not that big of a deal to get them anyways. The last stretch goals announced are really a let down at this point, and I think it's because GEG feels they have to produce so much as it is, they seem to be forced to recycle minis as freebie stretch goals that are not likely to be reached anyways. The main motivation of being apart of this KS campaign is to pay now and save more money later. But exclusivity is a bit lackluster. Which is why I contemplated buying 2 DVM, because the attraction to resale on the aftermarket, is to offer everything all at once to somebody who missed out on the opportunity and because of that is willing to pay a premium to catch up. But to do that you'd have to spend so much more that it just might not be worth the wait in return to do so, especially if you hate stressing
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lester Festertester
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually have 5 KS accounts on the same card. Speculating is risky but I have made nearly $4000 profit selling Various KS exclusives and sometimes full games on ebay.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schafer
United States
Prior Lake
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
turok12 wrote:
True, there is little exclusive stuff, except the 9 free Goo's add some good value, above and beyond the game.


Those aren't exclusive.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fantom Core
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
Time 2 Roll wrote:
turok12 wrote:
True, there is little exclusive stuff, except the 9 free Goo's add some good value, above and beyond the game.


Those aren't exclusive.


Yeah, you can eventually buy those as individual pieces as well, either at retail or more likely on a website perhaps.

- The exclusives are the Collector Edition minis, which aren't anything special, just a recycling of the minis you get in the game.

- The prints.

- The T-shirt.

- And I think the custom dice.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
quinn ortmeyer
Canada
Breslau
Ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
True the Goo's aren"t exclusive, but to get 9 for free, with msrp of 25 , does add some value, to a CDg pledge, sold after kickstarter, as to purchase the Goo's separately , could be anywhere from 150-200$ or more, depending on online prices and availability.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason's Good Twin
United States
New Cumberland
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Zombicide had free and paid exclusives which sell for 50 to 75 each. There is no or little profit to be had on retail stuff. Consider the 15% fee to sell on Ebay into your equation.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Goch
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
None of the miniatures are exclusive, I believe. The company doing the sculpts (Fenris?) has the rights to sell all the figures independently.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sam newman

doncaster
south yorkshire
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
^^this the miniatures will be available to buy from fenris a uk based miniature company. Its unlikely they will become particularly valuable if they are being sold after the kickstarter and quite possibly will work out cheaper for eu fans of cthulhu than getting them in the pledge.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandy Petersen
United States
Rockwall
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
I wrote the first-ever Lovecraft game.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The miniatures sold by Fenris Games are made of high-quality resin and/or metal, and will be significantly more expensive than the plastic miniatures in the game, no matter how high your import taxes or VAT skyrocket to. Even the littlest ones like a cultist cost several dollars.

Of course they are way nicer quality than the game figures, but it would be pretty pricey to build your own set, with Cthulhu costing (I think) $100 from Fenris.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sam newman

doncaster
south yorkshire
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
thanks for the reply thats good to know, im actually quite a keen painter so i will most likely pick up some of the resin models later as well
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You may also want to think about the Call of Cthulhu RPG'ers and Arkham Horror players. The KS Exclusive dice can be used in AH. The gates *might* be the right scale. Certainly the HPL marker is attractive.

This is the only KS I've read with speculation that the non-exclusive items might be difficult to find at OLGS discounts.

You *could* sell off the miniatures separately from the game, and design counters for the game. That way, you can resell to those who wanted only the miniatures and did not back the KS, and those who wanted only the game and did not back the KS. I will definitely trade for the mini's, except for the base set GOOs and "free GOOs".

The DVM is sold at a discount, so if you buy at DVM and sell close to MSRP, you will have a profit.

But I think the only "easy money" parts of the KS would be the Collector's Miniatures. (Yes, I'll trade for them, too!) You don't need them for play, and you can sell them off to miniature painters who didn't want to pledge $150. Likewise, if you sell off the "free GOOs", you will obviously have a profit.

Personally, I think you are MUCH better off waiting for the next Reaper Bones KS. Discounts in their last KS were around 75% off MSRP. The 240-figure Vampire box was $100 in the KS, will be $400 MSRP, and, if you sold the contents individually, were over $1000 MSRP. I see an eBay bid for $160 on the $100 box, meaning a 60% profit on a flipped box. If it's like last time, there's no EB limit, and I've seen backers purchase multiples of the Vampire set and other heavily discounted mini add-ons.

Oh, and yeah, I'll trade for those mini's as well...!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daleks stole my lunch box
France
Morbihan
flag msg tools
designer
Press 'X' to feel emotions.
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
necroloid123 wrote:
I actually have 5 KS accounts on the same card. Speculating is risky but I have made nearly $4000 profit selling Various KS exclusives and sometimes full games on ebay.


shake
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Bauer
United States
Smyrna
Georgia
flag msg tools
Colored baggies for your games, www.boardgamestorage.com.
badge
Colored baggies for your games, www.boardgamestorage.com.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
cafeine wrote:
necroloid123 wrote:
I actually have 5 KS accounts on the same card. Speculating is risky but I have made nearly $4000 profit selling Various KS exclusives and sometimes full games on ebay.


shake


Is that a disapproving shake? If so, why? I don't see anything wrong with this...
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.