Subject: Multi-Player Limitations - Help Needed! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan Couper-Smartt
New Zealand
Palmerston North
flag msg tools
mb
Heya! I play most of my games as four-player games. It's important to us to clarify which players can do what. I have some questions that we would love guidance on.

1. What does it mean "The Witch-King Player controls the Witch-King and the Mouth of Sauron" (and in LOME, "The Balrog of Moria and Gothmog are controlled by the Witch-King Player"). What is the practical limitation (if any) of that?

* Can only the Sauron player Muster the Balrog & Gothmog?

* If the Saruman player uses a "C" dice, can he move those minions and lesser minions? Can he us a "C" dice to move/attack with an army if the only leader was a "Sauron-Controlled (Lesser) Minion"?

Similarly "Lord Elrond and Lady Galadriel are controlled by the Gondor Player".

* Can only the Gondor Player muster these characters?

* Are there any other player-based limitations?

What about e.g. Boromir/Gimli? There isn't any faction icon on their cards.

* Can only the Gondor/Dwarven player use a Muster dice to activate/advance the Gondor/Dwarven nation?

* In fact, same for Legolas. Can only the Elven player use "Any Die to advance the nation on the political track"?

HELP! I see nothing in the F.A.Q.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
Axis & Allies Developer and Playtester; War of the Ring Editor and Playtester
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Characters may only be played or moved by the player that controls them. The only way that the other player on that side can use them is if they are part of a mixed Army that player controls, in which case the Characters will move and attack with that Army.

Nations may only be advanced on the Political Track using a Muster die by the player that controls them.

The Companions are controlled by both Free Peoples players, so either may use them or their abilities, including any ability to advance a Nation on the Political Track.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristofer Bengtsson
Sweden
Kävlinge
flag msg tools
designer
War of the Ring: Official FAQ Master! Webmaster of www.warofthering.eu Author of the War of the Ring Companion
badge
- This is My Hour!
mbmbmbmbmb
The tricky interpretation here are Elrond and Galadriel.

Neither of them are Companions and both very much Elves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's covered on page 15 of the LoME rules. They are controlled by the Gondor player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristofer Bengtsson
Sweden
Kävlinge
flag msg tools
designer
War of the Ring: Official FAQ Master! Webmaster of www.warofthering.eu Author of the War of the Ring Companion
badge
- This is My Hour!
mbmbmbmbmb
Krieghund wrote:
It's covered on page 15 of the LoME rules. They are controlled by the Gondor player.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Couper-Smartt
New Zealand
Palmerston North
flag msg tools
mb
Hiya. You say "Characters"... but I'm not sure what that means in this context. Maybe I'll be more specific!

* Can Saruman Muster the Balrog? I think we can say NO to that one, since there is a Sauron Eye on the bottom of the card.

* An army contains the Witch King and 5 Saruman regulars. Can Saruman use a "C" dice to attack with that army?

* An army contains the Balrog and 5 Saruman regulars. Can Saruman use a "C" dice to attack with that army?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
the.jxc wrote:
Hiya. You say "Characters"... but I'm not sure what that means in this context. Maybe I'll be more specific!

Characters are all pieces that represent named individuals (Gandalf, the Witch-king, etc.), regardless of which side they're on.

the.jxc wrote:
* Can Saruman Muster the Balrog? I think we can say NO to that one, since there is a Sauron Eye on the bottom of the card.

No.

the.jxc wrote:
* An army contains the Witch King and 5 Saruman regulars. Can Saruman use a "C" dice to attack with that army?

Yes, as it is controlled by the Saruman and Sauron Allies player.

the.jxc wrote:
* An army contains the Balrog and 5 Saruman regulars. Can Saruman use a "C" dice to attack with that army?

Yes, as it is controlled by the Saruman and Sauron Allies player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Couper-Smartt
New Zealand
Palmerston North
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks! We have a couple more questions from our epic 6-hour first LOME four-player game last night!

* Can the Saruman player use the "Use Balrog" on the Balrog dice to activate the Balrog?

* Can the Saruman player use the "Use Balrog" on the Balrog dice to move the Balrog alone?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Couper-Smartt
New Zealand
Palmerston North
flag msg tools
mb
Krieghund wrote:
Characters may only be played or moved by the player that controls them. The only way that the other player on that side can use them is if they are part of a mixed Army that player controls, in which case the Characters will move and attack with that Army.

Hmm... I still have questions then. The 2nd Ed says (page 46) "The Witch-king player controls the Sauron Nation, the Witch-king, and the Mouth of Sauron." and also says "Any player may move the Nazgûl, but only the Witch-king player may recruit new Nazgûl."

But what about the Mouth of Sauron, Balrog and Gothmog?

* If the Saruman player uses a "C" dice to redistribute the Nazgul, can he also move the Witch-King, Mouth of Sauron, Balrog and Gothmog?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
the.jxc wrote:
* Can the Saruman player use the "Use Balrog" on the Balrog dice to activate the Balrog?

* Can the Saruman player use the "Use Balrog" on the Balrog dice to move the Balrog alone?

No.

the.jxc wrote:
* If the Saruman player uses a "C" dice to redistribute the Nazgul, can he also move the Witch-King, Mouth of Sauron, Balrog and Gothmog?

No.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Couper-Smartt
New Zealand
Palmerston North
flag msg tools
mb
Krieghund wrote:
the.jxc wrote:

No.

Oooh... that's going to cause a stir in our next game!

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.