4 Posts

The Battle for Normandy» Forums » Rules

Subject: General Supply and Combat Supply Questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Blue Tiger
Australia
flag msg tools
So having played a few campaign games with a few different opponents (and having read several threads on these questions) I still have some issues with the concepts of combat supply that I'm seeking clarification on.

1) Can an Artillery unit fire alone while in general supply but not in combat supply? The rules (12.5.1) state that to provide support an artillery unit must be in combat supple, but is silent on if it is required for firing alone. I think that the unit must be in combat supply to be able to fire alone.

2) Can an Artillery unit fire alone when there is no corresponding Divisional HQ on the board and it is not attached to another division (ie German 711th artillery east of Caen? (Basically the same question as above)

3) I have read a thread on here somewhere (http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/518192/general-and-combat-su...) about this q but still don't get it (maybe I'm just having a logic moment)... The rules (7.6.3) state that the Allies spend 3CSP to launch a major attack, but seemingly can do so without being in combat supply (as per designer's comments in a thread on BBG see above). I Can't see how you can spend CSP on a major attack without being in combat supply but do need to be in combat supply to either add planes or artillery to that major attack or to spend 1CSP to add artillery/planes to a single hex attack.

To me the logic doesn't hold up. If you need to spend CSP to undertake an attack then you must be in combat supply after all they are called Combat Supply Points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Tiger
Australia
flag msg tools
I wanted to clarify that this wasn't a critiscm of the game more one of those annoying logic questions which stick in my brain. The game system is absolutely brilliant!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Holte
United States
Fullerton
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Sorry for the delay; I've been out of country for awhile preoccupied at times.

1 - Yes. Artillery firing alone is considered an attack.

2 - No, it must be attached and follow all the same rules.

3 - I didn't pull up that thread, but absolutely, you must be in CS.

bluetiger80 wrote:
So having played a few campaign games with a few different opponents (and having read several threads on these questions) I still have some issues with the concepts of combat supply that I'm seeking clarification on.

1) Can an Artillery unit fire alone while in general supply but not in combat supply? The rules (12.5.1) state that to provide support an artillery unit must be in combat supple, but is silent on if it is required for firing alone. I think that the unit must be in combat supply to be able to fire alone.

2) Can an Artillery unit fire alone when there is no corresponding Divisional HQ on the board and it is not attached to another division (ie German 711th artillery east of Caen? (Basically the same question as above)

3) I have read a thread on here somewhere (http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/518192/general-and-combat-su...) about this q but still don't get it (maybe I'm just having a logic moment)... The rules (7.6.3) state that the Allies spend 3CSP to launch a major attack, but seemingly can do so without being in combat supply (as per designer's comments in a thread on BBG see above). I Can't see how you can spend CSP on a major attack without being in combat supply but do need to be in combat supply to either add planes or artillery to that major attack or to spend 1CSP to add artillery/planes to a single hex attack.

To me the logic doesn't hold up. If you need to spend CSP to undertake an attack then you must be in combat supply after all they are called Combat Supply Points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Tiger
Australia
flag msg tools
Thanks Danny, maybe I misread the other thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls