Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
51 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

BGG» Forums » Everything Else » Religion, Sex, and Politics

Subject: Ed Snowden is a dumbass rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Welcome Rolling Stones
Latvia
Bullshit
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

He likely could have achieved his result by remaining anonymous, instead, he is stuck in a room at an airport in Russia, indefinitely.

This dude has a really strange way of showing his patriotism.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leonard Moses II
United States
Hixson
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Lunar Industries stock has dropped 32% but I fear for poor Sam. I think he's either crazy or an illegal immigrant. Either way he shouldn't be taken seriously.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Welcome Rolling Stones
Latvia
Bullshit
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
darkestoceans wrote:
Lunar Industries stock has dropped 32% but I fear for poor Sam. I think he's either crazy or an illegal immigrant. Either way he shouldn't be taken seriously.
For those of us paying attention, stocks of Lunar Industries were sold off months ago. I personally made $60,000 on the deal!

Having served as an airport designer, I wonder if the four walls surrounding Mr. Snowden are of painted gypsum board or of a lesser material that might be prevalent in Russia.

Also, Sam is my uncle, and is quite okay, while sleeping in the basement right now.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jasper
Netherlands
Leiden
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
As building materials for walls go, is it possible to get even 'lesser' than painted gypsum board?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Twice
Spain
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
Yeah, being anonymous will surely prevent the country that is spying millions of his own citizens and has one of the most advanced espionage systems from finding him and killing him in Guantanamo.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
Budo and boardgames...
badge
...weapons and wargames
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah well. Maybe they can make a good movie of it.
Maybe cast Tom Hanks for it.
Spoiler (click to reveal)
get it? stuck at an air port? Tom Hanks?
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
General_Norris wrote:
Yeah, being anonymous will surely prevent the country that is spying millions of his own citizens and has one of the most advanced espionage systems from finding him and killing him in Guantanamo.
So sophisticated they did not pick up his e-mails to the Guardian. Snowden is a fuckwit, it seems he thought that he could exchange asylum for secrets. It also seems that anything he knows is not worth a minor diplomatic incident.

Hero or narcissistic Julian Assange wannabe.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leonard Moses II
United States
Hixson
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Way to ignore it but I will state the obvious. That was a movie reference and I do not agree with you at all.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
General_Norris wrote:
Yeah, being anonymous will surely prevent the country that is spying millions of his own citizens and has one of the most advanced espionage systems from finding him and killing him in Guantanamo.
So sophisticated they did not pick up his e-mails to the Guardian. Snowden is a fuckwit, it seems he thought that he could exchange asylum for secrets. It also seems that anything he knows is not worth a minor diplomatic incident.

Hero or narcissistic Julian Assange wannabe.
Whatever he knew countries know anyway. Allies spy on Allies and always have. Countries spy on their citizens and always have. To me the whole thing was a 'so what' moment.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Then I'll say it too. His whole 'reveal' amounted to a 'yeah so?' moment for anyone paying attention. The only people shocked (SHOCKED I SAY!) by it all are a)clueless folks who probably don't understand it all now that they know about it b)Newsies paid to be 'shocked' on the news and get good ratings, and c)government officials(at home and abroad) looking to score some political points.

That doesn't mean the surveillance is right, we have governing processes in place to sort that out and the elections if all else fails. It just isn't surprising.

He's also a straight up traitor being he is trying to sell state secrets in exchange for favors. This is unrelated to his 'whistleblower' stuff. He's a dumbass for not knowing the difference between the two.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Necessary Evil
United States
Glen Arm
Maryland
flag msg tools
Yes, I play the Bass.
badge
Sweet Holy Moses, Fruit F*cker Prime!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I maybe could have accepted him as a kind of citizen hero for reporting on the US government spying on citizens, however when you start leaking things like the bugging of European embassies you begin to look more and more like a plain old traitor, perhaps one who was more interested in a little fame than one interested in righting a wrong.

The douche-O-Meter is creeping up on this guy daily.

-M
12 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Take joy from your wins; take lessons from your losses.
United States
Davidsonville
Maryland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb

    The U.S. Government has figured out that the best way to handle Snowden is to just let him fade away. Truth be told, he didn't tell any foreign government anything they didn't already know. What he did was provide a smoking gun for them to point at and use as a leverage tool on diplomatic PR.

    U.S. State Department has stranded him in a location where he can't speak, can't move, and as best I can tell can't get to an embassy in order to establish asylum. My best guess is that this option dropped into the State Department's hands by dumb luck, but it's appearing that they cut a deal with the Russians to hamstring Snowden.

    His family laid out three conditions for bargaining his return to the U.S. with the State Department -- no detainment before trial, no gag order of any sort during the process, and the trial to occur in a location of his choice. As it stands the State Department gets two of the three by not returning the phone call.

             S.


1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Twice
Spain
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
What I find funny about all this is how Americans, who are so quick to talk about tyranny and overreaching goverments don't give a crap about this.

How many people did Nixon spy again?

18 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Take joy from your wins; take lessons from your losses.
United States
Davidsonville
Maryland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
General_Norris wrote:

How many people did Nixon spy again?
    I imagine you're not up on the details of Nixon's particular incident, but Congress did not vote to impeach him because of his bugging Democratic Headquarters. That was the initial investigation, but the tape recordings of his office indicated he was bribing and blackmailing other government officials including elected representatives. There was a solid list of charges awaiting President Nixon and spying was well down the list.

    Long story short, the spying was a bit player in the end of his presidency.

    I'll be honest -- I have had access in the past to most of the material that Snowden is accusing the NSA of gathering. I contracted to Verizon for a period working on their billing systems which maintain a record of who called who and how long the calls lasted. I think you can argue that the Government having that information is more ominous than Verizon having it, but it's not exactly a deep look into the details, and it's not exactly a stunning revelation. I'm surprised anyone was caught off-guard by it.

             S.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Twice
Spain
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
You are right Sagrilagus, it's not the best comparison. I think the point still stands, though
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Perry
United States
La Jolla
California
flag msg tools
Woot!
badge
I have overtext!
Avatar
braveheart101 wrote:
At first, I liked what Snowden had done. Before he leaked the info about domestic spying to The Guardian, any talk of the NSA having access to phone records and emails was relegated to the Alex Jones conspiracy theory crowd. Snowden's actions allowed people that have suspected this kind of NSA activity to talk about without being branded as nutjobs.

However, my opinion of him has since plummeted. Hiding from justice and leaking info on ally-to-ally spying, plus the fact that he has applied for asylum in countries like Cuba and Russia (Cuba?! and you call yourself an advocate for privacy and free speech?) have really damaged his image. At this point I see him as nothing more than a pathetic attention-whore whose 15 minutes of fame is rapidly dying.

~Euen
Where do you suggest he apply for asylum?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Avatar
Microbadge: Chemical EngineerMicrobadge: Coffee drinkerMicrobadge: Clojure programmerMicrobadge: Apple Cider drinkerMicrobadge: Control Systems Engineer
Russia would give him asylum if he would stop leaking info.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Vincent
United States
Ridgefield
Washington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sagrilarus wrote:

    I'll be honest -- I have had access in the past to most of the material that Snowden is accusing the NSA of gathering. I contracted to Verizon for a period working on their billing systems which maintain a record of who called who and how long the calls lasted. I think you can argue that the Government having that information is more ominous than Verizon having it, but it's not exactly a deep look into the details, and it's not exactly a stunning revelation. I'm surprised anyone was caught off-guard by it.

             S.
I guess it just depends on how it's used.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Perry
United States
La Jolla
California
flag msg tools
Woot!
badge
I have overtext!
Avatar
Shadrach wrote:
Then I'll say it too. His whole 'reveal' amounted to a 'yeah so?' moment for anyone paying attention. The only people shocked (SHOCKED I SAY!) by it all are a)clueless folks who probably don't understand it all now that they know about it b)Newsies paid to be 'shocked' on the news and get good ratings, and c)government officials(at home and abroad) looking to score some political points.

That doesn't mean the surveillance is right, we have governing processes in place to sort that out and the elections if all else fails. It just isn't surprising.

He's also a straight up traitor being he is trying to sell state secrets in exchange for favors. This is unrelated to his 'whistleblower' stuff. He's a dumbass for not knowing the difference between the two.
What favors? Russia offered him asylum to STOP revealing secrets.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Avatar
Microbadge: Chemical EngineerMicrobadge: Coffee drinkerMicrobadge: Clojure programmerMicrobadge: Apple Cider drinkerMicrobadge: Control Systems Engineer
theodorelogan wrote:
What favors? Russia offered him asylum to STOP revealing secrets.
Stop publicly. I'm sure Russia would get everything the guy had, don't you?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Perry
United States
La Jolla
California
flag msg tools
Woot!
badge
I have overtext!
Avatar
jmilum wrote:
theodorelogan wrote:
What favors? Russia offered him asylum to STOP revealing secrets.
Stop publicly. I'm sure Russia would get everything the guy had, don't you?
I'm sure that is the case. So the price of asylum is that Russia gets the info all to themselves...and he isn't accepting that deal.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Welcome Rolling Stones
Latvia
Bullshit
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
utoption2 wrote:
General_Norris wrote:
What I find funny about all this is how Americans, who are so quick to talk about tyranny and overreaching goverments don't give a crap about this.

How many people did Nixon spy again?

A better example might be our Former-Domestic-Law-Enforcer,err,'Spy'-In-Chief, Mr. J Edgar
The folks who don't give a crap were likely the same folks who expressed their outrage years ago when the Patriot Act was passed. Now? It's old news except to Mr. Snowden, who is a dumbass.

I am beginning to favor utoption2, especially with regard to getting back that wool skirt that I loaned to Mr. Hoover so many years ago.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Necessary Evil
United States
Glen Arm
Maryland
flag msg tools
Yes, I play the Bass.
badge
Sweet Holy Moses, Fruit F*cker Prime!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sagrilarus wrote:
General_Norris wrote:

How many people did Nixon spy again?
    I imagine you're not up on the details of Nixon's particular incident, but Congress did not vote to impeach him because of his bugging Democratic Headquarters. That was the initial investigation, but the tape recordings of his office indicated he was bribing and blackmailing other government officials including elected representatives. There was a solid list of charges awaiting President Nixon and spying was well down the list.

    Long story short, the spying was a bit player in the end of his presidency.

    I'll be honest -- I have had access in the past to most of the material that Snowden is accusing the NSA of gathering. I contracted to Verizon for a period working on their billing systems which maintain a record of who called who and how long the calls lasted. I think you can argue that the Government having that information is more ominous than Verizon having it, but it's not exactly a deep look into the details, and it's not exactly a stunning revelation. I'm surprised anyone was caught off-guard by it.

             S.
So you worked on Verizon's billing systems, if you get the chance to work on them again I got about 1,000 improvements to suggest .

For thos of you who have never dealt with one of the big telecoms and their bills... They are notoriously inaccurate and require about 10 years of study to decipher.

M
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
General_Norris wrote:
Yeah, being anonymous will surely prevent the country that is spying millions of his own citizens and has one of the most advanced espionage systems from finding him and killing him in Guantanamo.
This. Revealing his identity probably protects him more than anything.

I'm not thinking of him as a hero or a traitor or whatever. Mostly because we don't know much about him. We don't know what exactly he told, what his true intentions are, or else he did in his life. But I'm glad that he did blew the whistle.

The information he leaked is not shocking news, but it's good that it was revealed in a scandalous way, otherwise it would have had no impact.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
"Federer is Betterer"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This guy is a dumbass ?... Your government is spying on millions of your own people at home and that of your own allies(without cause or due process)... and now the US gov't is violating international law in the process of trying to capture him so you can what ... sentence him to death?

You government is essentially disregarding its own Constitution... the idea upon which your country and personal freedom is suppose to be built... and this is your reaction?

Perhaps it is more a reaction of either embarrassment or an attempt to ignore the obvious truth that things are not right at home.

What this guy has done is reveal just a little bit of the scope of surveillance that is going on the USA ... and it is a sad day for democracy. This guy deserves some respect not shame. He wasn't responsible for the stuff he is revealing and you should pay attention.

I know there are many good people in the US. I have many friends there and here on BGG. But your goverment has serious issues ... and I hope you are able to work towards a better balance between security and personal freedom. Alot of the actions of the US government over the last few years have been very poor decisions, and this has dramatically reduced the respect others around the world have for the United States. you might not think this is important ... but it is.

The US should stop acting like the world police ... because it is quickly becoming a police state in and of itself.

Look at this article published in Canada today (below) in one of our biggest newspapers. Although I do not agree with many aspects of this piece, I think it speaks to the attitude that individuals in other countries are beginning to develop about the United States. This is not good stuff.
http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com/2013/07/04/father-raymon...

And by the way ... Happy Independence Day to all of my friends ... may the next year bring a better year.


20 
 Thumb up
0.60
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   |