GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,401 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
14 Days Left

Support:

Richard Hills
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes.

One of my earlier reviews, of Terra Mystica, compared that game to Eclipse. I will follow a similar comparative approach here.

1. An abstract quality that the games share is that the various mechanisms of all three games are well integrated. Burgundy's designer, Stefan Feld, is in my opinion very good at integration (for example, this is also shown is Feld's excellent quicker and lighter game Notre Dame).

2. Eclipse, Terra Mystica and Burgundy all use the personal player board concept. My personal preference tends towards gradually building up my own civilisation without excessive interference (what some deride as multi-player solitaire), so the Burgundy player boards float my boat.

3. In Eclipse the competition for technology is indirect (basically getting in first), while the competition for resources is more direct (and militaristic in the later stages of the game). However, in Burgundy the technology and resources are merged, making getting in first of paramount importance. Feld cunningly designed the placement of one type of resource, boats, as having as one of its two benefits an improvement of one's position in the turn order.

4. Eclipse and Terra Mystica have an action based system, where one can take actions until one runs out of grunt. In Burgundy one's resource management skills are severely tested, as one has merely TWO actions per turn, the two dice that one rolls. Accruing workers or placing special yellow tiles on one's player board can modify one or both dice. And the Burgundy currency of silverlings (also in very short supply) will sometimes permit a third action of purchasing a tile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Executive Bear
United States
Montana
flag msg tools
Wildcard, bitches! Yee-haw!
badge
I'm gonna start dropping F-bombs. Listen to this: Fart you, fart head.
mbmbmbmbmb
Burgundy has quickly become one if my favorite games. The way the various buildings work can lead to some big turns!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So you like it or not?

I should have read the first word.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dex Quest
United Kingdom
Maryport
Cumbria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice review. I like the way you focussed on pure mechanic comparisons - gave me a good feel for how the three compare in play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.