16 Posts

Room 25» Forums » Rules

Subject: Trapped chamber - Is the 2nd action resolved before being killed ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Monsieur Douby
France
flag msg tools
If I enter the trapped chamber wih my 1st action, I will die. My 2nd action is control, do I resolve it before I die ? I would say no, am I right ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ghislain LEVEQUE
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would also say no

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think there is merit arguing for either interpretation.

You can think that instead of walking you did something else, and were killed because of that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Janne
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say you die between the two actions and thus the second action is not resolved.

If you resolve the second action then you might argue why the second action couldn't be walk? Walk away in the last moment before the blades slice you like a salami.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Grant
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course if you didn't program a 2nd action then you still have a chance to live.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matagot Contact
Switzerland
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

That's right, you don't perform your second action, since you're already dead.

Fabien
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
the dare978devil
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

If you cannot move via your very next action, you die. You are literally hacked to pieced by circular saws and have no time to do anything else. There are only two ways to survive the chamber; if you are pushed in AFTER your second action in which case you can use your next turn to set MOVE as your first action (or if you are lucky enough to have MOVE as your next action already set), or if you move into the chamber on your second action, then you can set MOVE as your first action on your next turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Grant
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dare978devil wrote:
Hi,

If you cannot move via your very next action, you die. You are literally hacked to pieced by circular saws and have no time to do anything else. There are only two ways to survive the chamber; if you are pushed in AFTER your second action in which case you can use your next turn to set MOVE as your first action (or if you are lucky enough to have MOVE as your next action already set), or if you move into the chamber on your second action, then you can set MOVE as your first action on your next turn.

This thread, and the response from matagot_contact, disagrees with you. I admit it is vague from the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Billgrant wrote:
dare978devil wrote:
Hi,

This thread, and the response from matagot_contact, disagrees with you. I admit it is vague from the rules.

How does that disagree?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Grant
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lfisher wrote:
Billgrant wrote:
dare978devil wrote:
Hi,

How does that disagree?

It listed the 2 ways to survive were:
- If pushed in after 2nd action
- If you move into the chamber on your 2nd action

Another way is if you move into the chamber on your 1st action but haven't programmed a 2nd action. You then still have an opportunity to move out on your 1st action in your next turn.

EDIT: Made everything a number for clarity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Billgrant wrote:
lfisher wrote:
Billgrant wrote:
dare978devil wrote:
Hi,

How does that disagree?

Another way is if you move into the chamber on your 1st action but haven't programmed a 2nd action. You then still have an opportunity to move out on your 1st action in your next turn.

OK it doesn't disagree, it just expands on another case, but that is essentially equivalent to "if pushed after 2nd (or only) action"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Grant
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lfisher wrote:
Billgrant wrote:
lfisher wrote:
Billgrant wrote:
dare978devil wrote:
Hi,

How does that disagree?

OK it doesn't disagree, it just expands on another case, but that is essentially equivalent to "if pushed after 2nd (or only) action"

We are getting into semantics which was not my intent, but if someone says "the only ways" and then doesn't list all of the ways then I tend to consider it incorrect. And frankly I myself debated if not taking a second action would leave you trapped, so I think it's important to be specific.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
the dare978devil
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Billgrant wrote:

We are getting into semantics which was not my intent, but if someone says "the only ways" and then doesn't list all of the ways then I tend to consider it incorrect. And frankly I myself debated if not taking a second action would leave you trapped, so I think it's important to be specific.

That is pretty nit-picky man. You could also survive if you just stopped playing the game right there and then, therefore you would never be killed. Or if the second survivor was killed at that moment thereby fulfilling an end game scenario, but you are still not actually killed. Or a 4-year old could grab the board and knock all of the pieces on the floor, whereupon players declare a draw... the possibilities are endless!

The point is, if you move out on your very next action, you survive. Any other action means you are carved into little bits. So what the OP stated is correct, any second action programmed is NOT performed if he flips up his tile and it is not a MOVE. He's dead, can't be moving rows of cells if he is dead.

If you selected the option of programming only a single action at the outset and you have already used it in this round, then your very next action will occur at the beginning of the next round, meaning you can escape by playing a MOVE.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Grant
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dare978devil wrote:
Billgrant wrote:

That is pretty nit-picky man. You could also survive if you just stopped playing the game right there and then, therefore you would never be killed. Or if the second survivor was killed at that moment thereby fulfilling an end game scenario, but you are still not actually killed. Or a 4-year old could grab the board and knock all of the pieces on the floor, whereupon players declare a draw... the possibilities are endless!

The point is, if you move out on your very next action, you survive. Any other action means you are carved into little bits. So what the OP stated is correct, any second action programmed is NOT performed if he flips up his tile and it is not a MOVE. He's dead, can't be moving rows of cells if he is dead.

If you selected the option of programming only a single action at the outset and you have already used it in this round, then your very next action will occur at the beginning of the next round, meaning you can escape by playing a MOVE.

I'm sure I don't have to explain the difference between your examples and my example, which is the equivalent of an implicit "stay" action. There was a thread about that very thing. I hardly think this is being nit-picky.

But you are entitled to your opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
greg zovet
Switzerland
flag msg tools
I disagree.

The rule is : when you enter the room, you must exit it AT THE LATEST at the moment of your next action. If you dont, you die.

It means :

1. That you can perform another action INSTEAD of just exiting, and doint this action kills you. But in my point of view, you will just have time to do it before being shred appart.

2. Because you can do a "Last action before die", a player can push back another player who entered the room after him, saving him - and of course sacrifice himself, but it can be a strategic necessity.

Exemple : player A enters the room with his first action. His second one is push back. His faith is done, he can't survive. So he will sacrifice himself to help a team mate to gain a bonus move : team mate move after him in the room with his 1st action. He will be pushed back at the 2nd action of the first player, so even BEFORE he would be suppose to react with a move. At his 2nd action, the 2nd player cant do anything for his friend, because this one died heroically by pushing his team mate out in a dramatically last action....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Grant
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yours is a reasonable way to interpret the written rules, but the game publisher (in this thread) has explained how they intend the rule to be interpreted. How it is written is vague and can lead to many conclusions.

You can play how you want, but I try to play based on the intended rules of game designers/publishers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.