Popular Tags: [View All]
Joris Peijs
Netherlands
Uithoorn
Noord-Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Some friends and I decided it would be fun to have a sealed deck MTG afternoon/evening. We havn't played since the 90ies. I read all the new rules, some interesting stuff.

It will be gatecrash, all get a number of boosters and we do rotation draft.

Any advice for me? Back in the 90ies no one ever seems to organize such sealed deck tournaments... at least not here in the Netherlands.

What should I be careful of? How do I decide what I would like to play? (which colors?) Does it all depend on the first blister you open? Can you make a full deck of 2 colors, or are 3 better? .... just anything I should know after a 15 year stop?

thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Vollick
Canada
St. Thomas
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Don't automatically pick the rare.

2. Avoid Black Blue gold cards. The Black Blue guild is probably the worst.

3. Try to get 15 creatures and 7 or 8 spells.

4. Try to keep a reasonable mana curve. So don't run four 6-mana creatures and expect to win.

5. Don't marry your first pick from pack one. The person passing you cards will pass you 2 packs of cards. If they pass you a pack with a very strong card not in your original picks colours consider switching to that colour.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bender
United States
New River
Arizona
flag msg tools
Rebellion to Tyrants is Obedience to God
mbmbmbmbmb
Choose as many creatures with evasion as possible (flying, unblockable) and as much removal as possible (aka, creature kill spells). Don't be afraid to go three colors.

Have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cyrus the Great
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Stick to two colors. It isn't awful to play three, but if you are just coming back don't push the boundaries yet.

Know the five guilds (combinations of two colors in the set: (W/R, R/G, G/U, U/B, B/W)

Notice what other people are passing to you. If you started out with a great W/R card, but aren't being passed any good cards in those colors, you may want to try to switch to another combination.

Play 23 creatures/spells and 17 lands.

There are cards called Gates that are dual lands that enter play tapped. These are good if you are in the two colors of the gate, unplayable otherwise.

Take
Bombs (very powerful cards)
Removal (creature removal, not land/artifact/enchantment removal)
Evasion (creatures that can avoid being blocked)

and fill out your deck with other solid creatures and spells.

Most importantly, have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wagner
United States
Wood River
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If you happen to go after Simic (Green/Blue) you need at least 19 creatures in the deck to make it work right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virre Linwendil AnnergÄrd
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Forza Bajen!
badge
... and still sober
mbmbmbmbmb
16 to 17 lands and the about 19 creatures and all the above advice.

In gatecrash there is a possiblity to build a good deck though, but that is extremly based on getting the right cards so don't try it.

edit: After 15 years, the real important thinge except the changed rules (so now it's suck different) is that they adopted the game to be so much more about creatures (so now it's suck different)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Occhipinti
United States
Decorah
Iowa
flag msg tools
Magic Fanboy
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorite deck in the format was a Black-Blue-Green deck with lots of efficient blockers, removal, and some nice inevitable win conditions. I'm particularly fond of Wight of Precinct Six, particularly if you can back him up with any sort of support.

Also, though there was near unanimous agreement that UB was the worst color pairing, when someone did an empirical study they found UB and BW tied for the highest win rate. The pair I avoid like the plague is RW which is hyper aggressive and draws too inconsistently for my taste.

In reply to the person saying Magic has become more about creatures, this is true in constructed, but not in limited formats like draft, which have always been about creatures.

Have fun, triple GTC is one of my favorite recent draft formats (though WOTC has been doing pretty well overall with draft formats lately.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joris Peijs
Netherlands
Uithoorn
Noord-Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks all of you!

So it seems I should pick lots of monsters, a mix of cheapies and big ones! Also removal of those summons that will give me trouble. I'm still not so sure about what colorcombo, they all seem to be ok for players that didnt play for many years

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls