Popular Tags: [View All]
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just got my copy of CC:A. A beautiful box of great stuff, and I know it will play well, as I am a big BattleCry and M44 fan. I have to say, however, that putting the stickers on is a bit of a chore, although in some ways actually therapeutic, as one can get into a nice, steady rhythm putting these units together. I've just finished my Roman Light Infantry - 24 blocks ready to go - now on to the other 321! I don't have another game session planned for 3 weeks, so there should be enough time (barely!) to finish the rest...

...As far as the components go - I quite like the blocks...they are smaller than I pictured them, but that's fine. The dice actually seem OK as well, but I haven't attempted yet to put stickers on, so we'll see. The reference cards are better than anything found in BC or M44. The only complaint, as expected, is the board - it's pretty enough, but the unmounted aspect is annoying. I do have two nice plexiglas sheets, so I am using one for this board, and it works well. If I take the game to a friend's house, I will take the plexiglas with me...

...I wonder why the lines dividing center from left and right were moved on the CC:A board from where they were on the Battle Cry board??? If I play CC:A on the BC board, I wonder if it would really have a significant impact on the game play??? Any opinions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Salinas
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I do have two nice plexiglas sheets, so I am using one for this board, and it works well. If I take the game to a friend's house, I will take the plexiglas with me...

There is no need to that--unless you happen to like lugging a piece of plastic with you. The board lays flat without difficulty.

The same style map is used in Twilight Struggle, even with 1/2" chits, the creases in the board cause no problem as they would on a paper mapboard. I hope GMT continues to use this style of map.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Graham
United Kingdom
Wirral
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder if it would really have a significant impact on the game play??? Any opinions?

Yes. I beleive this is an attempt to show the critical nature of controllong your flanks in ancient warfare. Most ancient armies would have a strong but relatively small centre and rely on out-manouvre on one or other of the flanks to then rollm up the centre line. This caters for that quite well I think. I have only played the game once so far and I will report again if I change my mind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this comment in the correct thread?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Dobbins
United States
Herndon
Virginia
flag msg tools
keepmesane wrote:
...Most ancient armies would have a strong but relatively small centre and rely on out-manouvre on one or other of the flanks to then rollm up the centre line. This caters for that quite well I think. I have only played the game once so far and I will report again if I change my mind.

Really? I would not have thought so, rather I'd have argued that grand flanking maneuvers were an exception, apart from the great captains (Alexander, Hannibal, Scipio)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.