Popular Tags: [View All]
She-Hulk
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Prince of New Denton has been slain by unknown means and five Elders are struggling to be the next to control the Vampire denizens of the city.

The Basics
Number of players: 25
Moderators: greek2me, kuchick
Complexity: High
Special Mechanics: Some public roles, All players have special abilities and agendas of their own, No specified Lynch, Special voting rules, P2P Combat, many others

For those of you unfamiliar with White Wolf's "Vampire: the Requiem," here is the link to its Wikipedia entry: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vampire_-_The_Requiem

This game also draws heavily from White Wolf's "Vampire: the Eternal Struggle": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vampire_-_The_Eternal_Struggle

(Special thanks to kuchick for the idea to change the name of the darn articles! She's a friggin' genious! A special thanks as well to natehaley for figuring out HOW to change the articles' names.)

The Rules
This is a preliminary outline of the rules for the game. More detail will be added as the game approaches.

Elders
There are five Elders in this game. These roles are public. Elders win the game when they have eliminated all other Elders in a specified order. The Elders have a wealth of resources, assets and powers to bring to bear in their struggles to be the next Prince of New Denton. These resources are collectively referred to as the Elders’ "Pool." An Elder uses his or her Pool to fuel special abilities and to affect the game in different ways. An Elder reduced to zero Pool is "Ousted" (removed from the game).

Vampires
All non-Elder roles are considered Vampires. Vampires are the secret denizens of New Denton and are all caught up in the Elders' struggles to control the city. Each Vampire begins the game ostensibly loyal to one of the five Elders. Vampires win in a variety of different ways, but the majority of them win if their Elders win.

Each Vampire will have a set of special actions/abilities that make that Vampire unique and useful to his or her Elder. It is worth noting that Elders may have a specific vision for the use of different Vampires in his or her quest to win the game, but Vampires may almost always act independently. If a Vampire’s Elder asks him or her to perform a specific action, the Vampire is free to ignore the request.

Most Vampires want their Elders to win, but a select few have their own agendas which don’t always include their Elders winning the game. Elders should never implicitly trust their underlings.

Vampires have their own resources represented by personal Blood Capacity. A Vampire will begin the game with a certain amount of Blood. Some actions require Blood to be spent in order to activate them. Vampires also lose Blood when engaging in Combat with another Vampire (more on that later). A Vampire with zero Blood at the beginning of a Round is forced to Hunt as his or her action for the Round. If a Vampire must Hunt and cannot, he or she enters Torpor, a sort of stasis state that removes him or her from the game for a Round.

The Phases of the Game
Unlike most Werewolf games, Vampire: the Requiem does not have a Day and Night phase. Vampires are inactive during the day and, thus, things work a little differently. Each Round will consist of two Phases. All Vampires have access to a common set of Phase 1 and Phase 2 actions and some will have special actions they can perform during specific Phases of the Round.

Phase 1 Common actions:
Bleed – This is an assault on a specific Elder’s resources designed to reduce that Elder’s Pool and bring him or her one step closer to being Ousted. Vampires are limited in the targets of their Bleed actions by their loyalties to different Elders. May be Blocked by another Vampire, if so, Combat ensues. This is a Public Action.

Hunt (+1 Stealth Action) – This action, if successful, increases a Vampire’s Blood by 1. A Vampire can never have more Blood than his or her Blood Capacity. A Vampire who begins the round with zero Blood must use his or her action for the Round to Hunt. If a Vampire cannot Hunt, he or she enters Torpor. May be Blocked by another Vampire, if so, Combat ensues. This is a Public Action.

Initiate Lynch Referendum (Cost: 1 Blood) – This action allows a Vampire to formally accuse another player of being the person who killed the Prince. This initiates a Referendum (more on that later) wherein players vote whether to Lynch a specific player or to allow him or her to continue in the game. This is a Private Action and may not be Blocked.

Phase 2 Common Actions:
Block – This is an action a Vampire takes to try to prevent a Phase 1 Action from being completed successfully. At the end of Phase 1, all Public Actions will be announced by Role (as opposed to by Player) and certain Vampires will be allowed to attempt to Block certain actions taken during Phase 1.

Rescue (Cost: 1 Blood) – A Vampire taking this action rescues another Vampire from Torpor, allowing the rescued Vampire to act normally during the next Round. Any Vampire may rescue any other Vampire in Torpor, regardless of Loyalty.

Diablerize – A Vampire taking this action “attacks” another Vampire who is in Torpor and kills him or her, removing the victim from the game. Diablerie is the stealing of another Vampire’s life force and carries a heavy taboo in Vampire society. As such, Diablerie is a Public Action and after it is performed, there is an immediate Special Lynch Referendum called. Players then vote whether to Lynch the Diablerist.

Blocking
If a Vampire Blocks another Vampire’s Action, a contest of Stealth vs. Intercept ensues. The Acting Vampire may attempt to increase his or her Stealth (through special abilities, etc.). For every +1 Stealth the Acting Vampire can manage, the Blocking Vampire has the opportunity to increase his or her Intercept (through special abilities, etc.). If Stealth is greater than Intercept, the block fails and the Acting Vampire successfully completes his or her Action. If Intercept is greater than or equal to Stealth, the Block succeeds and Combat ensues. A Vampire may not use more Stealth or Intercept than is required to “one-up” his or her opponent.

Not all Vampires have access to Stealth and Intercept and the default Stealth for most actions is zero. Note that Hunting carries an innate +1 Stealth and Blocking a Hunt action requires at least +1 Intercept to be successful.

Combat
A successful Block attempt places the Acting and Blocking Vampire in direct physical Combat. Each Combat consists of a Strike and a Resolution. All Vampires are equipped with a “Hand Strike” that removes 1 Blood from his or her opponent in Combat. Most Vampires are also equipped with a once-per-game Dodge that avoids the opposing Vampire’s Strike and inflicts no damage of its own. Some Vampires have special Strikes or access to Strikes that inflict more damage or Aggravated damage (horrendous wounds that are harder for the Vampiric body to heal).

Combat Resolves after both Vampires have chosen a Strike. If neither Vampire is reduced to zero Blood and neither Vampire inflicts Aggravated damage, Combat ends and both Vampires go their separate ways. If a Vampire at zero Blood during the Resolution of a Combat, he or she enters Torpor (note Combat could result in both Vampires entering Torpor). If a Vampire suffers Aggravated damage, he or she goes to Torpor regardless of his or her Blood amount. If a Vampire is at zero Blood during the Resolution of a Combat AND suffers Aggravated damage during that Combat, he or she is slain and is removed from the game. If the Combat was a result of a successful Block, the Blocked Action fails and has no effect.

Certain abilities may allow a Vampire to directly Attack another Vampire, but most Vampires are not allowed to Attack another Vampire directly.

Torpor
A Vampire in Torpor is not allowed to take any actions or vote for one full Round, beginning with Phase 1 of the round AFTER the Vampire entered Torpor. At the end of Phase 2 of the missed Round, the Vampire loses 1 Blood and becomes eligible to act during the next Round. If the Vampire cannot spend 1 Blood, he or she remains in Torpor. The Vampires in Torpor are public knowledge.

Referendums
Vampire society is nothing if not political. In this game, that political nature is represented by the Referendum. If a Referendum is initiated, whether as a Phase 1 Lynch Referendum or otherwise (some Vampires will have access to special Referendums), it will be publicly announced and players will have a set time limit to vote on all Referendums. A player may vote Yes or No for each announced Referendum. If the number of Yes votes is greater than the number of No votes, the Referendum passes. Referendums fail on ties.

Here is an example of how a Referendum will be announced in the forum:

Referendum: Lynch greek2me
If Yes > No: greek2me is Lynched

OR

Referendum: Political Stagnation
If Yes > No: No Referendums can be initiated next Round.

All Vampires are allowed to vote for each Referendum. There is no penalty for not voting. Some Vampires’ votes are worth more than others’. Elders have no direct voting power.

Victory Conditions
The game ends when only 1 Elder remains. The surviving Elder wins the game as does the Vampire with the most personal Victory Points. Because of the way the game is structured it is possible (though unlikely) that we will reach a point where Elders can effectively no longer be eliminated. If that happens, the surviving Elder whose Loyal Vampires have the highest personal Victory Points will be declared the Winner.

All Vampires have certain special ways to gain Victory Points, but there are common points to be had as well:

+2 VP for Initiating a successful Lynch Referendum against a Vampire not loyal to your Elder

+1 VP for voting “Yes” during a successful Referendum to Lynch a Vampire not loyal to your Elder.

+1 VP for voting “No” during a successful Referendum to Lynch a Vampire loyal to your Elder

+1 VP for successfully Bleeding an Elder other than your own
+2 VP for successfully Bleeding an Elder.

-1 VP for voting “Yes” during a successful Referendum to Lynch a Vampire loyal to your Elder.

-2 VP for initiating a successful Referendum to Lynch a Vampire loyal to your Elder.

+1 VP for sending a Vampire not loyal to your Elder to Torpor

-1 VP if a Vampire loyal to your Elder is killed via Diablerie.

Communication
Of course, this would be utter chaos without the ability to communicate to other players. Every player has PM rights to some degree.

Elders:
1. May PM all other Elders without limit
2. May Initiate 1 PM per day to EACH of his or her Loyal Vampires.
3. May ALWAYS Respond to a PM from a Loyal Vampire.
4. May Respond to 3 PMs per day from Vampires not Loyal to him or her

Vampires
1. May Initiate 1 PM per day to ANY player.
2. May Respond to up to 2 PMs per day from ANY player.

Initiating a PM is defined as being the first person to send a PM to another player. Responding to a PM is defined as hitting Reply (leave the subject lines alone, PLEASE) to send a message back to someone who has Initiated a message to a player.

Please cc greek2me and kuchick on ALL PMs.

Now, you may be asking yourself “Why wouldn’t an Elder just tell all his Loyal Vampires who the others are?”
Well, there’s really no way to prevent this other than to forbid certain revelations of a player's role to another player. Messages which contain speculation are fine as are messages that reveal your own role to another player, but if an Elder initiates a message that explicitly or implicitly tells one of his Loyal Vampires the identity of another of his Loyal Vampires, that Elder will lose Pool and the Vampire may lose Blood. Elders are way too paranoid to trust their underlings -- often with good reason. This is not a hard and fast rule and is subject to moderator interpretation. You’ve been warned.

Next time: “Disciplines and Clans” or “What makes my role special?”

In the meantime, feel free to post questions or to sign up tentatively for the game. We've got awhile until it starts, so ask away.

Player List
1. Threnody
2. RoyalFlush (Elder: Yes)
3. Xandryyte
4. CapAp
5. rasattack
6. jmilum (Elder: Yes)
7. BagpipeDan
8. oilslider
9. munchwolf
10. latria
11. ithicks
12. slyde
13. shugyosha (Elder: Yes)
14. mbs808
15. Beowulf (Elder: Yes)
16. arkibet
17. bowman
18. rjphelan
19. seamusk
20. runningquick
21. Tarrant
22. Meshenka (Elder: Yes)
23. jaredh (Elder: Yes)
24. seanp (Elder: Yes)

If needed: J5983

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jenny Wadkins
United States
Tigard
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Re: Vampire: the Reqiuem - Starts April 24
ME first!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Likens
United States
Cornelius
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ME SECOND !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terri K
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
Good golly people... my username has a lower case x!!
badge
Females play board games too!!! ;)
mbmbmbmbmb
I will take THIRD!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John So-And-So
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
badge
You and the Cap'n make it hap'n
mbmbmbmbmb
May I be FOURTH?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Rasmussen
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Kisu~
mbmbmbmbmb
Great. I'm all the way down to FIVE?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Rostoker
Canada
Gloucester
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This looks to complicated for me. Sorry guys.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amanda Fabulous
United States
Hillsborough/Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
werefish wrote:
This looks to complicated for me. Sorry guys.

I appreciate that you read the rules and recognize that it is complex.

This is a complicated game and will require a careful reading of the rules.

However, it does promise to be very interesting, and I'm excited to help mod it.
There are more rules to come; we have two mods for a reason.

Sign Up, it'll be great! Don't forget to PM us and tell us if you would like to be an elder

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oil Slider
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Re: Vampire: the Requiem - Starts April 24
I'll play, but would like the EIGHTH spot, please.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Golden Lotus
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I'd like 13th. devil

It'll be nice to reacquaint myself with this universe (I've not seen a White Wolf book since the world ended...).

Are the vampires not called Kindred any more or is that so you don't confuse people?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
She-Hulk
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shugyosha wrote:
I'd like 13th. devil

It'll be nice to reacquaint myself with this universe (I've not seen a White Wolf book since the world ended...).

Are the vampires not called Kindred any more or is that so you don't confuse people?

It's mostly so I don't confuse anyone not familiar with the universe. I think they still call themselves Kindred, but the Requiem is quite different from the Masquerade.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Golden Lotus
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Just back from the Wiki page.

(the links don't work too well because of the : in the URL btw)

Heh, I picked 13th for the number of clans, but I guess I am out-of-date. But the differences they note seem good to me (esp. doing away with Generations).

Excellent though, can't wait to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
She-Hulk
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shugyosha wrote:
Just back from the Wiki page.

(the links don't work too well because of the : in the URL btw)

Heh, I picked 13th for the number of clans, but I guess I am out-of-date. But the differences they note seem good to me (esp. doing away with Generations).

Excellent though, can't wait to play.

Oops. You're right. I can't figure out how to [a href] on BGG, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Golden Lotus
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
In case it wasn't obvious, I will happily take on an Elder role.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
shugyosha wrote:

hahahah, thought I had scared everyone off......

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Golden Lotus
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
jmilum wrote:
shugyosha wrote:

What, you're an Elder? Well forget it then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
She-Hulk
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Disciplines and Clan

In this installment of the rules, we’ll explore Vampires and the different, unique abilities they possess. Not all powers listed here will necessarily be in the game and not all powers that are in the game are listed here.

Vampires are allowed to perform one action each round. Some have unique actions they can take. Each Vampire will have one or more Disciplines. Disciplines are Vampiric powers that different Vampires have access to. Each Vampire is also assigned a Clan. A Clan is a bloodline/lineage of a sort. Each Clan selects new Vampires based on certain attitudes or proclivities, and there are stereotypes associated with each Clan, but the fact that a Vampire belongs to a specific Clan is not necessarily a measure of that Vampire’s powers or abilities.

DISCIPLINES
Animalism – This Discipline allows the Vampire to tap into his or her animalistic, predatory nature as well as allowing some control over the darker urges in other Vampires. When a Vampire with Animalism participates in a Combat, the opposing Vampire may only Strike with his or her Basic Hand Strike.

Auspex – This Discipline bestows heightened senses and a sixth sense at its most basic and when a Vampire hones this Discipline, it allows mind reading and clairvoyance. A Vampire with Auspex may, as a Private, Phase 1 Action, glean the Loyalty of a specific player.

Celerity – This is the power of supernatural speed. Vampires with this Discipline move much more quickly and precisely than normal. A Vampire with Celerity may spend 1 Blood to make an additional Strike against an opponent in Combat.

Dominate – This Discipline allows a Vampire to impose his or her will upon another, forcing the victim to do the Vampire’s bidding. A Vampire with Dominate may spend 2 Blood as a Private, Phase 2 Action, to force a Vampire who is Bleeding the Discipline-user’s Elder to Bleed a different Elder. If the victim of this Discipline is redirected back to his or her own Elder, the power has no effect and the user expends no Blood.

eg. kuchick, who is Loyal to xandryyte, is Bleeding greek2me. jmilum is a Vampire Loyal to greek2me who possesses the Dominate Discipline. jmilum may spend 2 Blood during Phase 2 to redirect the Bleed at any other Elder. If he chooses xandryyte as the target, the Discipline fails, kuchick is still Bleeding greek2me and jmilum loses no Blood.

Majesty – This Discipline grants its possessor the ability to affect others’ emotions. From being able to frighten another to sending them cowering before the user’s magnificence, Majesty is the blunt instrument to Dominate’s scalpel. A Vampire with Majesty may, as a Strike in Combat, spend 1 Blood to end Combat without effect.

Nightmare – This Discipline is the purview of the twisted. It inflicts mental torment on its victims and twists those who use it. A Vampire with Nightmare may, at the beginning of Phase 1, spend 1 Blood as a Private Action to increase the cost of another Vampire’s Action for that Round by 1 Blood. The victim will be told of the increased cost and be allowed to forfeit his or her Action rather than expend the extra Blood; alternately, if the victim does not have enough Blood to pay the increased cost, he or she forfeits the Action.

Obfuscate – This Discipline affects the minds of others in such a way as to render the user invisible or to alter his or her appearance. Viewing a Vampire with Obfuscate results in misinformation.

Protean – This Discipline allows a Vampire to alter his or her physical form. From growing wicked claws to becoming a cloud of mist, Protean is the ability to adapt. A Vampire with Protean may spend 1 Blood at the beginning of a Combat to inflict Aggravated damage for the remainder of the Combat.

Resilience – This Discipline bestows supernatural toughness on its possessor. A Vampire with Resilience does not go to Torpor if he or she has zero Blood during Combat resolution unless the opposing Vampire inflicted Aggravated damage. If a Vampire with Resilience suffers Aggravated damage during a Combat and is at zero Blood during Combat Resolution, that Vampire is not slain, but goes to Torpor instead.

Vigor – This Discipline bestows supernatural strength on its possessor. A Vampire with Vigor inflicts 1 extra point of Blood loss with his or her Hand Strikes during Combat.

CLANS
There are five Clans in Vampire: the Requiem: Daeva, Gangrel, Mekhet, Nosferatu and Ventrue. Each has access to different Disciplines.

Daeva Vampires are seductive, quick and strong. They are the most closely tied to their prior humanity and are often quick to anger and quick to love. Think Anne Rice when you picture a Daeva Vampire. Disciplines: Celerity, Majesty, Vigor

Gangrel Vampires are rustic loners. They are animalistic, driven by instinct more often than not. The political nature of Vampire society leaves a sour taste in a Gangrel’s mouth. Think “Near Dark” when you picture a Gangrel Vampire. Disciplines: Animalism, Protean, Resilience

Mekhet Vampires are enigmatic and stealthy. They are often prone to strange insights and make dangerous enemies. Think “Bloodsucking Fiends: A Love Story” when you picture a Mekhet Vampire. Disciplines: Auspex, Celerity, Obfuscate

Nosferatu Vampires are monstrous inside and out. They are often disconcerting to look at and their minds are just as twisted. Think “Nosferatu” when you picture a Nosferatu Vampire (that was easy, eh?). Disciplines: Nightmare, Obfuscate, Vigor

Ventrue Vampires are dark lords, at times beneficent, mostly just a little bit mad. They expect to be obeyed and feel a certain obligation to those they lord over. Think “Dracula” when you picture a Ventrue Vampire. Disciplines: Animalism, Dominate, Resilience

Please note that the Disciplines available to each Clan are merely guidelines. Not all Mekhet Vampires will have Auspex, and not all Vampires who possess Auspex will belong to the Mekhet Clan, for example. A Vampire will not necessarily have access to all of his or her Clan Disciplines. There are also certain powers and abilities that are not tied to Disciplines.

DISADVANTAGES
Some Vampires have negative traits as well. Here’s a small sampling of possible Disadvantages.

Famous: A Vampire with this trait has -1 Stealth on all of his or her Public Actions.

Spread Thin: A Vampire with this trait has -1 Intercept on all of his or her Block attempts.

Next Time: "ELDERS AND POOL" or "I'M PUBLICLY KNOWN, SO NOW WHAT?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amanda Fabulous
United States
Hillsborough/Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shugyosha wrote:
jmilum wrote:
shugyosha wrote:

What, you're an Elder? Well forget it then.

lol

this is just a comment to which I needed to respond..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antigonus Monophthalmus
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Count me in!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
which of those 5 clans are the out-of-shape glasses-wearing software guys?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, and I would prefer to be the Ventrue Elder if possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Likens
United States
Cornelius
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's see... I'd prefer to be the Mekhet Elder if possible.

Yes, looking at the rules I can see why this would be very intense for an elder, and it sounds like a barrel of manipulative cunning fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
She-Hulk
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jwandke wrote:
which of those 5 clans are the out-of-shape glasses-wearing software guys?

That would be the, er, well, it depends. Does this mean you're in?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SH W
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I will volunteer to be an elder. I'm in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa
Australia
Parkville
Vic
flag msg tools
admin
designer
May you find the Perfect Shoe! xxx
badge
Mostly offline, but trying.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm scared of vampires.

I will sit this one out and watch through my fingers.

It looks great, though. Well done, guys.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.