GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,641 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
19 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Call of Cthulhu: The Card Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Revelation of the Spheres rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Simon Gingras
Canada
Sorel-Tracy
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm still very much a beginner when it comes to this game. I've played quite a few games with my son, but I've yet to see all the cards I have in actual play. (As of now, I own the Core Set and the first four packs of the Forgotten Lore cycle.)

During my last game, my son played the "Revelation of the Spheres" event card (found in the Spawn of Madness pack): "Reveal the top 5 cards of an opponent's deck. Put into play a character revealed this way under your control. Then shuffle that opponent's deck." For a cost of 4, he then got to put Tulzscha (cost of 6) into play against me!

He was really happy with himself, and I was glad for him, although at the time I thought that we might be playing it wrong, or if not that it was kinda overpowered. Afterwards I thought about it some more, and I came to the conclusion that it could have turned out differently, and he might have ended up with a low-cost character instead.

What are your thoughts about that card?

Regards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope, you played it right. It's a fairly straightforward card after all.

So, you're paying 4 and then gambling that you might get a character worth that amount. Sometimes you'll get lucky, but most of the time you'll get a character who costs less than 4 because most decks have mostly characters that cost less than 4. You'll often have 2, sometimes 3 to choose from, but there are no guarantees that the characters you get will fit your strategy either even if they aren't low cost chumps. Sometimes it's great and you'll get access to icons or abilities that are hard to come by in your faction. Sometimes not, you might get something that doesn't really fit. Worst case you might pick up a synergy character that you don't have anything to synergize with. Imagine getting a Priestess of Bubastis and you don't have any Shub cards for instance.

Every time you play this card, you've got to imagine that you could instead have put another character in your deck - any character that costs 4 or less, belongs to one of your factions, and you could have picked it yourself to fit with how you wanted your deck to work. Random guy is going to have to work hard to beat that. It CAN happen, but in general (and not knowing up front what my opponent might have to steal) I would prefer to have my own hand-picked character instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Gingras
Canada
Sorel-Tracy
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Right. So it's a gamble.

Thanks for your thoughts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Funny, I just put this card in a deck for the first time. It went into my Thingamajiggery monofaction deck focused on Elder Things. I did it knowing that I'll want a domain built up to 4 as rapidly as I can get it, and that I'll resource the card if I get it early, and that it could be a fun play if I get it late.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Long
United States
State College
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Fly Eagles Fly!
badge
The Cthulhu player, not the Football player.
mbmbmbmbmb
The CCG version allowed you to search your opponent's entire deck, not just look at the top 5 cards. That version was way better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.