Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sean M
United States
Ft. Mitchell
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am wondering if anyone knows our thinks that the retail package of the gate miniatures will have 16 or 22 gates. Since it's not Kickstarter exclusive, if 22 are included at retail, I'm thinking I'll wait to get it later if I want to pimp my game some more, and use the savings to spring for a 5th faction. I'm trying to stick as close as possible to the $200 mark. I have cultist eb1

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Petersen
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
it's your sister Cheryl!
badge
I work for Petersen Games. AMA
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are on a budget and the choice is between the plastic gates or another faction there's no contest. Get another faction.

If the gates are sold at retail, my best bet is they would not actually be 22 gates, because 22 is actually completely unnecessary.

In the 5 player game, there are 22 areas, so people here on BGG wanted 22 gates. However, in general the more players there are the less gates there happen to be. I have never seen 22 gates in a 5 player game.

This is because it is so much easier to snatch a gate than to bother to make a new one that after about round three, the action of building a gate becomes rather rare.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean M
United States
Ft. Mitchell
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just in case anyone else was wondering this as well, I just got a definitive answer from Sandy (via Kickstarter messaging) that the retail packs will have 22 gates!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Schep
Netherlands
Amersfoort
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Having 22 gates might be useful on the 6-8 player board though

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandy Petersen
United States
Rockwall
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
I wrote the first-ever Lovecraft game.
mbmbmbmbmb
The retail version will NOT have 3-d gates, however, only die-cut cardboard ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric F
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
RTFM!
mbmbmbmb
Also, the plastic gates show up in the Crawling Chaos and Yellow Sign faction description/strat videos if you're looking for a sense of scale. They're huge!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean M
United States
Ft. Mitchell
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh wow, glad I saw this. So the 3D gates are Kickstarter exclusive? I don't think that's mentioned anywhere on the Kickstarter, so that changes my decisions a lot....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zebra Matt
United Kingdom
Brighton
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mavrick593 wrote:
Oh wow, glad I saw this. So the 3D gates are Kickstarter exclusive? I don't think that's mentioned anywhere on the Kickstarter, so that changes my decisions a lot....

My reading is that they're not officially Kickstarter exclusive, meaning that Green Eyed Games could choose to release them as an additional add-on at retail later (e.g. if purchased through the GEG webstore).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean M
United States
Ft. Mitchell
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zebramatt wrote:
Mavrick593 wrote:

My reading is that they're not officially Kickstarter exclusive, meaning that Green Eyed Games could choose to release them as an additional add-on at retail later (e.g. if purchased through the GEG webstore).

Since there it's am MSRP on the add-on graphic for the gates I, and I'm suremany others, assumed that meant that they would be available post Kickstarter

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PJ Cunningham
United States
Greenfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sandy Petersen wrote:
The retail version will NOT have 3-d gates, however, only die-cut cardboard ones.

My understanding of Sandy's quote above is that the retail version of the game will not have 3D gates, but 3D gates can/will be their own upgrade product, just like they are here in the KS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandy Petersen
United States
Rockwall
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
I wrote the first-ever Lovecraft game.
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay in looking over my own kickstarter I see that the Gates are not actually listed as "kickstarter exclusive" - perhaps because Fenris Games will be selling them too.

But they will not be in the game box found at a store or ordered online. We will doubtless provide them as a separate add-on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean M
United States
Ft. Mitchell
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ironregime wrote:
Sandy Petersen wrote:

My understanding of Sandy's quote above is that the retail version of the game will not have 3D gates, but 3D gates can/will be their own upgrade product, just like they are here in the KS.

that makes sense, and I hope that's the case. Maybe I jumped too quickly to my conclusion. I would still like clarification from Sandy though

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean M
United States
Ft. Mitchell
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sandy Petersen wrote:
Okay in looking over my own kickstarter I see that the Gates are not actually listed as "kickstarter exclusive" - perhaps because Fenris Games will be selling them too.

But they will not be in the game box found at a store or ordered online. We will doubtless provide them as a separate add-on.

Thank you for clarifying Sandy, and sorry for jumping to conclusions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The War Chief
United States
Parkville
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
BRING ME THE HEAD OF SETH NEMEC AND RIK FALCH!!!!!!
badge
In Memorial: Moose, my dog. B:? D:01/13/16. He died peacefully surrounded by those who loved him. You will be missed.
mbmbmbmbmb
So if I'm getting the 3-D gates, will my copy of the game have the cardboard ones as well?

I'm thinking the cardboard gates might be easier to use in larger games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Schep
Netherlands
Amersfoort
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You will always get what is in the base game. The upgrades are added.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Malley
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess Sandy changed his mind, because at one time they were clearly exclusive. I would've waited had i known they weren't.

Unless those weren't posted by Sandy, which is always possible, but even then, *somoene* at GEG thought they were exclusive.

The gates are also exclusive models.
Jul. 06, 2013 on Cthulhu Wars.

We are not planning to offer the 3-D gates at retail at this time. However they will be available from Fenris in nice resin or metal versions.
Jul. 07, 2013 on Cthulhu Wars.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Goch
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ALL of the figures modled by Fenris will also be independently available from Fenris in resin or metal. That was part of the initial deal with them and that was announced from the start.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Dennis
United States
Waterloo
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Once they're cast in metal, the price will make them very exclusive

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Hehmann
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Springheeledjack wrote:
I'm thinking the cardboard gates might be easier to use in larger games.

Finally getting to play with the 3D gates, after using the smaller markers for a lot of games, was pretty awesome. You can easily scan the map and count people's gates and you just feel more powerful especially if you have your Dark Young perched on them. Some areas do get crowded, but after using them you will not want to go back!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean M
United States
Ft. Mitchell
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
caffeinehead wrote:
I guess Sandy changed his mind, because at one time they were clearly exclusive. I would've waited had i known they weren't.

Unless those weren't posted by Sandy, which is always possible, but even then, *somoene* at GEG thought they were exclusive.

The gates are also exclusive models.
Jul. 06, 2013 on Cthulhu Wars.

We are not planning to offer the 3-D gates at retail at this time. However they will be available from Fenris in nice resin or metal versions.
Jul. 07, 2013 on Cthulhu Wars.

Yeah after these comments from Sandy I went ahead and got some myself. I hadn't realized that "sold by Fenris after the Kcikstarter" meant that they would be the metal and/or resin versions, thus more expensive than $25. Glad I did, even if I ultimately ended up spending a lot more on this project than I initial thought I would... (upped my pledge to the Book of Eibon from Cultist EB1 + add-ons)

EDIT: and I can also confirm that at least the second quote you have there is from Sandy. He was replying directly to me in the comments section when I saw he was active there towards the end of the KS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.