Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Greer
South Carolina
msg tools
designer
At home, our books are on shelves in a closet, and are organized by size because some of the shelves are so small that only the mass-market paperbacks will fit. And one of my professors talked about how organizing by size was the most logical way to store materials, but only for closed stacks, since it was an impractical way to store materials for browsing. But professionally? Yeah. "The fools!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jumbit
China
Zhejiang
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Don’t you know the Dewey Decimal System?!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Greer
South Carolina
msg tools
designer
jumbit wrote:
Yes! And LC and NLM, too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
My mother was a librarian, and some of that rubbed off on me. Here at my job we file checks based on the company name of the contractor. For 5 years I insisted on alphabetizing without counting "the" if it was at the beginning of the company name. Eventually my coworkers complained so much, because the computer alphabetizes them under "T" for "the" and they had trouble remembering that I had them differently. Finally I caved and fixed the files to match the computer's alphabet, but to this day it still bugs me when I open the "T" file. The same situation occurred for the few contractors who have the word "a" at the beginning of their company name.

Don't even get me started on the crap I caught for those sole proprietors who don't have a company name so everything is supposed to be filed under "John Smith" instead of "Smith, John".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Greer
South Carolina
msg tools
designer
Blott wrote:
My mother was a librarian, and some of that rubbed off on me. Here at my job we file checks based on the company name of the contractor. For 5 years I insisted on alphabetizing without counting "the" if it was at the beginning of the company name. Eventually my coworkers complained so much, because the computer alphabetizes them under "T" for "the" and they had trouble remembering that I had them differently. Finally I caved and fixed the files to match the computer's alphabet, but to this day it still bugs me when I open the "T" file. The same situation occurred for the few contractors who have the word "a" at the beginning of their company name.
BGG did this for a while, too (Die Siedler von Catan always wound up in the Ds on my collection list), but I think Skelebone did a lot of work to get those lead articles dropped on indexing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert M
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Reminds me of setting up the game library at TN game days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
Microbadge: Offline from The Geek for a while
jumbit wrote:
Gotta love UHF.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bat Profile
United States
Sandworms USA
Plateau of Leng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
my books are sorted by age, publisher, family and genre
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I sort my books in the order I pull them out of the moving box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Hague
United Kingdom
Bristol
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
RAWKET LAWNCHA!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I arrange mine by how funky they smell.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff G
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
designer
These are not the droids you're looking for. You can go about your business.
badge
Move along.
Microbadge: The Geek Die Roller Hates Me
Size, author, subject.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kunnagh Scott
England
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My books are sorted by being next to a book which reminds of the first book. That way I only have to remember what sort of book it was, and what it was vaguely about, rather than who wrote it or what it was actually called.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
LIFO, baby, LIFO. Literally, "a stack of books".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric "Shippy McShipperson" Mowrer
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Ami. Geek.
mbmbmbmbmb
You people are over thinking this.

Start with an empty bookshelf.

The first book goes on the left.

The next book goes adjacent to the first book, to the right. Repeat until the shelf is full. Proceed to the next shelf until all shelves are full.

Shove any additional books in where space allows, on top of or in front of the original books.

Done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Greer
South Carolina
msg tools
designer
ejmowrer wrote:
a horror story
This makes my teeth hurt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric "Shippy McShipperson" Mowrer
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Ami. Geek.
mbmbmbmbmb
Verkisto wrote:
ejmowrer wrote:
a horror story
This makes my teeth hurt.
I hope this doesn't ruin our friendship, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't actually have one or two bookshelves just like that. Although we do try to keep a series together and organize roughly by genre.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Greer
South Carolina
msg tools
designer
ejmowrer wrote:
I hope this doesn't ruin our friendship, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't actually have one or two bookshelves just like that. Although we do try to keep a series together and organize roughly by genre.
I just ... I just need some time.

I'll call you. Okay?

Trust me. Our closet bookshelves are a mess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Actually, I would think crawling around looking for someone's eye would be a pretty fun game in its own right.
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I think that all right-thinking people in this country are sick and tired of being told that ordinary, decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am.
Microbadge: I'm shocked, shocked to find that gaming is going on in here!Microbadge: Parent of big sister and little brotherMicrobadge: 'When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning' - Dr. Reiner KniziaMicrobadge: Owner of Too Many Unplayed GamesMicrobadge: Gamer Family
The last time our books were "properly" organized, they were divided into fiction or non-fiction, then the non-fiction was divided by subject (I even made labels for the shelves using appropriate typefaces for each subject), then alphabetical by author. Fiction was divided into hard/soft cover, then each of those groups was alphabetical by author. We never broke them down into "fantasy", "sci-fi", "detective", etc., although that might have helped.

When I am thinking of a book in my collection, I can usually recall the title, author, cover, and spine color, so it's always been pretty easy for me to find what I'm looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin, Karen, Acacia, and Janek
United States
Willmar
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Game on!
badge
45 Jack-o'-dapter!
Microbadge: Plays Games with SpouseMicrobadge: I Love NatureMicrobadge: Parent of big sister and little brotherMicrobadge: Hiking fanMicrobadge: Weird and Experimental Music fan
Ours were (for the most part) sorted by genre. Not any longer. We are currently cataloging them all and will arrange by author. The book collection has since grown (very much) since this picture and the top of the shelf is filled and another shelf was added in the same room. We like our books --- so much that we even removed many of the board games and put them on a separate shelf upstairs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls